• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2024 Proof sovereign

refero

I just sold my graded 3 coin coronation set, plus some bullion so that I could buy myself a 4 coin coronation sovereign set to complete the 4 coin sets of jubilee, memorial and coronation. 

The question is what will be worth more the 2023 Crowned Coronation SOTD or the slightly lower mintage 2023 Uncrowned 75th Birthday SOTD sovereign?

Not buying 2024, will just get a few bullion coins I'm pretty much broke now with only the reverse proof morgan and Peace dollar set on order with the remainder of money in my bank set aside for that there is nothing left for anything else until next pay day. 

1 hour ago, tpcob303 said:

The question is what will be worth more the 2023 Crowned Coronation SOTD or the slightly lower mintage 2023 Uncrowned 75th Birthday SOTD sovereign?

i dont see how a 75th birthday Sotd sovereign can perform well in the future. It is just one amongst a many. 725 gbp is just too high for this coin to get some extra value in the future. Low mintage helps, but you cant compare the coronation sovereign charm and a bithday sotd in my opinion..

35 minutes ago, refero said:

i dont see how a 75th birthday Sotd sovereign can perform well in the future. It is just one amongst a many. 725 gbp is just too high for this coin to get some extra value in the future. Low mintage helps, but you cant compare the coronation sovereign charm and a bithday sotd in my opinion..

It's actually £850. The 2024 proof is £725.

The SOTD is an uncrowned portrait making it different from all the other sovereigns this year. In the future that may well have an attraction to some collectors.

Time will tell ...

Edited by Olivard

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Darr3nG said:

Got a call from my RM account manager earlier, looking to push the 2024 proof range - everything available.

I said I wasn't in the market right now, and got the response that many of her customers are in the same boat.

Where is this "not in the market boat" one speaks of?

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

57 minutes ago, Darr3nG said:

Got a call from my RM account manager earlier, looking to push the 2024 proof range - everything available.

I said I wasn't in the market right now, and got the response that many of her customers are in the same boat.

Definitely hard to buy the latest 5-coin set when the arguably better 5-coin coronation sets are 22% less on BBP.

36 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

Definitely hard to buy the latest 5-coin set when the arguably better 5-coin coronation sets are 22% less on BBP.

I saw here on TSF the other day speculation that the 2025 sovereigns could have another special reverse. Apparently 1825 was when the shield back sovereigns were first released. Image courtesy to Sovereign Rarities. 

Not a sure thing merely speculation, but as the MO of Royal Mint these days nothing is impossible. If indeed they went ahead with shield back, it's not certain if the £5 and £2 will bear the mantled escutcheon. 

FI22372_0.jpg

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

20 minutes ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

I saw here on TSF the other day speculation that the 2025 sovereigns could have another special reverse. Apparently 1825 was when the shield back sovereigns were first released. Image courtesy to Sovereign Rarities. 

Not a sure thing merely speculation, but as the MO of Royal Mint these days nothing is impossible. If indeed they went ahead with shield back, it's not certain if the £5 and £2 will bear the mantled escutcheon. 

FI22372_0.jpg

Oh my, what a time to be alive!

Part of me wants this to happen, part of me doesn't 🤣

42 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

I wouldn't count on it. It's at best an educated bet.

But it'll be spectacular to see in hand. The mantled £5 is one of my favourite of all milled coins, and the price of an original is simply prohibitive...

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

I would also like to see the more elaborate Merlen designed shield commemorated in some way. Victoria’s more typical full sovereign shield design has already been seen on the 2002 ‘Special’.  However, Victoria ‘s  ‘Ensigns Armorial’ was within a plain shield. Missing is the ‘White Horse of Hanover’  Of course the Merlen style shield appears on Victoria 1/2 sovereigns!

Both  Merlin’s designs - GIV and WIV are slightly different . Top left is 1929….

IMG_0195.png

64e1c9ae90161.thumb.jpg.15c6747ffdd773c57df37c4027342ce9.jpg

2 hours ago, Britannia47 said:

I would also like to see the more elaborate Merlen designed shield commemorated in some way. Victoria’s more typical full sovereign shield design has already been seen on the 2002 ‘Special’.  However, Victoria ‘s  ‘Ensigns Armorial’ was within a plain shield. Missing is the ‘White Horse of Hanover’  Of course the Merlen style shield appears on Victoria 1/2 sovereigns!

Both  Merlin’s designs - GIV and WIV are slightly different . Top left is 1929….

IMG_0195.png

The 2002 reverse didn't have a legend, and I think that made it less appealing then the original.

If indeed they made shield 2025, again hypothetically, it remained unclear whether they'd include the legend ( most likely not, or they'd have to rework the obverse legend so that REX didn't appear twice. Likely the Hanover arms would be removed and the United Kingdom quarterly displayed solely, as they did in 1989 when they used the modern and proper escutcheon, not the original England and France.

One could only wish this all went ahead. The 1826 £5 was spectacular (see above, image from Numista)

Edited by SeverinDigsSovereigns

3 hours ago, paulmerton said:

This would have to be the regular design for an extensive period of time to warrant it or it could mess up the premiums on the jubilee, memorial and coronation sets and keep then suppressed for a longer period. Though I would love a return of the shield back, maybe not a good time as a special set unless it's long term. 

5 hours ago, paulmerton said:

I'm struggling to see where the coronation set is "arguably better" that set has serious provenance and a unique crowned portrait. 

You would be mad to pay more for the 2024 set

4 minutes ago, apachebleu said:

That was an overly long winded way of agreeing with you 😆 

You're not related to Sir Humphrey Appleby are you?