• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2024 Proof sovereign

refero

On 13/10/2023 at 14:19, Darr3nG said:

Insider knowledge? 

The proof sovereign tends to be released in the first half of November - though a SOTD for Charles' 75th Birthday would complicate things.  Could the proofs be released in October?  In 2018 the 2019 proof sovereign was released in the second half of October.

As I collect the entire date run of QEII & KCIII proof sovs, I'm not going to miss out but likely to side with @Paul on this one and probably wait for a secondary market ready graded PF70 that'll be a few bob cheaper.

I'm pretty certain the Royal Mint will keep it's £725 - 750 RRP. Their pricing is like a ratchet, it never goes back down.

It's entirely possible that stock will be left unsold, similar to 2014 where only 4,613 were actually flogged. On the plus side, that's also now the lowest mintage year for regular QEII proofs (excluding SOTD's) and at some point the market will recognise this, if not already.

Edited by JohnV66
typo

I've been told the 2024 proof sovereigns will be released in the next couple of weeks.

The prices I've been quoted are:

5 Coin Sovereign Set: £5725 
3 Coin Sovereign Set: £1140 
Sovereign: £725
Half Sovereign £385

I am giving this one a miss - I will be happy with a bullion sovereign this year.

43 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

I've been told the 2024 proof sovereigns will be released in the next couple of weeks.

Half Sovereign £385

I am giving this one a miss - I will be happy with a bullion sovereign this year.

It'll be interesting to see the mintage numbers on these given the prices you've been quoted.

4 hours ago, Zhorro said:

Half Sovereign £385

One word… Ridiculous! 😵‍💫

@Olivard  for me the 5 set needs to be around 450-495 and ideally we need a maximum mintage of the fulls of no more than 7,500  even better sub 6000.  

Its a bonkers market IMO if they did another special reverse or obverse then we'd by saying they are milking it, then most would be buying.  If it's just a normal year sovereign (hope it is) then some won't buy because its not "special"   

We have only had a run of special year sovereigns due to timing 2022 Jubilee,  memorial and then a coronation.   Many proof sovereign collectors are feeling exhausted  we have had effectively 4 full sets in a 2 year period form Nov ish 2021 to 2023.  It will be good to get back onto a normal 1 per year.   

1 minute ago, refero said:

but it cant be (if confirmed) 725 gbp for a "standard" sovereign

I would expect it to be around that, nothing will be confirmed until the day.....With the spike in gold price I hope they don't keep the same margins and just wang up the price to the buyer, could be easy £800+ if they keep the same margins 

25 minutes ago, begineersluck said:

any news on the 2024 5 sov BU release date 

will be looking at other dealers on the day of release 

The £5 BU has usually been released in the middle of the year around June / July.

It was only the Memorial and Coronation £5 BUs that were released in conjunction with the respective Proof ranges (for obvious reasons).

So you’re most likely looking at mid-2024 for the 2024 £5 BU.

18 minutes ago, Theodoros said:
According to a dealer the 2024 Proof Sovereign will be available on 02/11/2023 and the King's birthday Celebration Sovereign will be available on 06/11/2023 with the following limited editions:

5 Coin Sovereign Set: 450
3 Coin Sovereign Set: 650 
Sovereign: 7500
Half Sovereign: 1250
75th Birthday Celebration Sovereign: 750

If the King's Birthday Celebration Sovereign is available on 6th November, does this mean that it is not a Strike On The Day sovereign but something else?  The King's birthday is 14th November so it seems strange that the "Birthday Celebration Sovereign" is being released on the 6th November.  

Also, a mintage figure of 7,500 for the 2024 Proof Sovereigns seems low - I was expecting 15,000-20,000.

22 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

If the King's Birthday Celebration Sovereign is available on 6th November, does this mean that it is not a Strike On The Day sovereign but something else?  The King's birthday is 14th November so it seems strange that the "Birthday Celebration Sovereign" is being released on the 6th November.  

Also, a mintage figure of 7,500 for the 2024 Proof Sovereigns seems low - I was expecting 15,000-20,000.

Probably just allows them to presale the birthday Sovs for immediate despatch after his Birthday? @GoldDiggerDave will be happy with those mintage numbers 👍🏼

1 hour ago, Theodoros said:
According to a dealer the 2024 Proof Sovereign will be available on 02/11/2023 and the King's birthday Celebration Sovereign will be available on 06/11/2023 with the following limited editions:

5 Coin Sovereign Set: 450
3 Coin Sovereign Set: 650 
Sovereign: 7500
Half Sovereign: 1250
75th Birthday Celebration Sovereign: 750

Thanks for this information.

Looks like my 75th Birthday SotD Sovereign prediction was right after all, including the 750 mintage. 😛

Edited by westminstrel

18 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

Is the birthday sovereign likely to be the same thing but with a privy mark? Or just the same thing in BU with a plain edge?

It can’t be same as the 2023 BU with plain edge as that was the Coronation SotD Sovereign right?

My guess is either a privy mark or an uncrowned portrait (unlikely to be both lol!)

1 hour ago, Zhorro said:

It's good the Sovereign LEP is lower at 7,500, but there are the additional ones from the 5/4/3-coin sets to be counted as well.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

1 hour ago, Zhorro said:

Sounds like it will be sold to be a SOTD sovereign. The coronation ones were sold prior to the day.

Probably look identical and you will need to send in with box for NGC to class it as the 75th birthday on the grading.