• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Random Rant

Bogart

I took about 20k out a fair few years ago for a car and the lady asked me what it was for so i said for a small shipment of drugs as we were running out (ask silly question, get silly answer). She just chuckled and said 'Oh the youth of today'.

Sounds like i shouldn't say that nowadays.

Get banged up while they check you out now.

Had another run in with Lloyds today, after they had forbidden my wife to buy the Sigma machine, they denied my internet banking access fully couild not log on.

Hours later after the same tedious questions restored it, well they can now definitely f off.

A lot of kindred spirits on this thread which is heartening, I only wish it was representative of wider society. Let's keep pushing it.

I like £50 notes actually, good for grocery shopping, restaurants, etc. Most faked notes are fivers and tenners but the average Wilko till worker gets nervous around £50s. Frankly with inflation, we should have a £100 note in circulation. I learned the other day that Euros go up to 200 Euro notes and until recently they had a 500 Euro note!. B of E wants to limit us to £50s though? Madness!

Sharps Pixley of course take £50s with no issues, they have a machine that counts cash notes in a matter of seconds. No excuse for businesses to not accept cash.

Lidl self service machines no longer take cash, even though the hole in which to drop your coins into are still physically there on the machines, it's just Lidl who have switched off that part of the machine from working.

As for Barclays, I spoke to their fraud team after making a payment to eBay they were suspicious of, and they do treat you like criminals. Even without that, just making normal payments mean logging in with a PINSendry device, texting my phone to conform payment, then another PINsendry confirmation dance. What a merry-go-round. I'm not much of a crypto fan but I did once pay for something in Bitcoin and I was amazed at how much less hassle you get than you do from the banks. Like wow, I just made a payment without being treated like a suspected drug dealer, I thought to myself how refreshing that was!

Still prefer cash though.

I used to be a big fan of cash, disliked using plastic, kept a change purse for the inevitable copper and silver, and only dealt in notes wherever possible. Skip forward to present and I can't get enough of using contactless. Even my wristwatch makes payments. I wouldn't ever go back to cash, I find it grubby. The amount of times I've been handed a coin that's smeared in goodness knows what ... I'm waiting for the new chip they stick in your head so you can simply nod at the Tesco girl to make payment for your spuds. :D 

21 hours ago, ZRPMs said:

Well Battle commenced at 9:34 am this morning with NatWest. They all Know me in the branch. I think I'm known as the awkward b&$t&rd. I approached the desk "Hello Mr ............ how can we help today?". I proceed to tell them I wish to pa mortgage off, Pay a contractor and withdraw £2000. "Umm we may need to take you to a private area." Off we go. I have all the paperwork for the mortgage and it turns out that the mortgage company is a subsidiary of the bank. This will go smoothly I thought. Nope. Was I sure it was what I wanted? Is it defiantly the correct bank/ details/ the right move for me/ uncoerced. Did I feel any pressure making the payment? My god the list went on. In the end I got the mortgage place on the phone. Went through all their security. Please press 1 then 5 then 7 very sorry you have made a wrong choice back to main menu. repeat, you get the drift. Finally get to talk with some one. Do I give authority to discus the matter with a third party. Eventually got the payment sent. They weren't too happy about paying the electricians bill. And as far as the £2000. They would only let me have £1000 as I might end up paying other tradesmen. I did tell them that I failed to see how the way I spent my funds was relevant to them. Any how, That took nearly 2 hours.

Utterly horrifying.

1 hour ago, bluemoon said:

A lot of kindred spirits on this thread which is heartening, I only wish it was representative of wider society. Let's keep pushing it.

I like £50 notes actually, good for grocery shopping, restaurants, etc. Most faked notes are fivers and tenners but the average Wilko till worker gets nervous around £50s. Frankly with inflation, we should have a £100 note in circulation. I learned the other day that Euros go up to 200 Euro notes and until recently they had a 500 Euro note!. B of E wants to limit us to £50s though? Madness!

Sharps Pixley of course take £50s with no issues, they have a machine that counts cash notes in a matter of seconds. No excuse for businesses to not accept cash.

Lidl self service machines no longer take cash, even though the hole in which to drop your coins into are still physically there on the machines, it's just Lidl who have switched off that part of the machine from working.

As for Barclays, I spoke to their fraud team after making a payment to eBay they were suspicious of, and they do treat you like criminals. Even without that, just making normal payments mean logging in with a PINSendry device, texting my phone to conform payment, then another PINsendry confirmation dance. What a merry-go-round. I'm not much of a crypto fan but I did once pay for something in Bitcoin and I was amazed at how much less hassle you get than you do from the banks. Like wow, I just made a payment without being treated like a suspected drug dealer, I thought to myself how refreshing that was!

;Go to Scotland and fill your boots! All 3 Scottish banks have £100 notes.  In England you are stuck with Alan Turing (£50)🙁

87E17F15-2696-4355-8D61-2B7721A7E7D5.jpeg

25 minutes ago, silvergaga said:

It is still monopoly money eh!

Try changing 1 of these when you are on holiday to Turkey.

Agreed, but who goes to Turkey on holiday these days? Bombs in Istanbul, and earthquakes on the eastern border.

However the Bank-note is worth 3/4 times more to a collector, but try changing one in the Orkneys!😀😀

2 hours ago, bluemoon said:

€500 note is still out there

18 minutes ago, ZRPMs said:

Just bought a bathroom suite at B & Q. £753. I paid cash, 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. My god, the supervisor came, then the manager. People were looking. The poor girl that put the suite together on the teleputer for me didn't know what to do. Hence the supervisor. "It's a lot of money sir." "I know" I said "but your the ones charging me that. Can I get any discounts." They took it though to be fair. There was an old boy at the self serve tills laughing his head off and the young couple after me. I thought I heard her say to her boyfriend "god I've never seen so much cash. whilst giving me dirty looks because I didn't use a card, I presume. Hilarious. Use cash at every opportunity. We'll end up cash less if we don't

Tyre kicker 😆 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

Another cash/bank story was when the old £50s were due to come out of circulation. I went into the Post Office to have them swapped out. The man said something about only being able to put it into my bank. I told him I don't have a bank account (I'd only get more grief from my bank). He offered to set me up with a Post Office account and I said definitely thanks but no thanks. So he gave in and asked how much I have. I said £500.He said he can swap only £300. I don't know why but fine, it's a deal. When I took the money out, his eyes went on stalks when he saw they were all £50 notes. He nervously took my money and started counting. Despite saying £300, he had a "F this" moment at £200 and tossed the rest of my money back at me, mumbling something like "that's enough, £200". He then took out the new notes to give to me (all £20s because apparently Post Office don't do £50s), gave me £200 worth and said goodbye in a "now go away" tone of voice. I said to hold on while I count up the notes he gave me. I duly counted £200 then looked up and said thank you, seeing an indignant face as he was leaned back in his chair, his body language as though he just inadvertently helped a drug dealer launder his money or something.

The moral of the story I took away was these responses only happen because not enough people are normalising cash, and my lesson was to do this sort of thing MORE to help normalise it.

In fairness to Barclays, their self service machines could have taken my cash and spat me out some new polymer notes, and I still withdraw my money from their in £50s without a problem (max £2000). I don't know why I thought the Post Office would be better, but it made for a something to tell the Mrs that evening.

I've tried getting £50 notes, simply because I like banknotes and try and get a pristine example of new issues where possible. It's hard work.

It's easier just to buy them at a premium from a banknote dealer. At least you know they're true UNC.

10 minutes ago, SidS said:

I've tried getting £50 notes, simply because I like banknotes and try and get a pristine example of new issues where possible. It's hard work.

It's easier just to buy them at a premium from a banknote dealer. At least you know they're true UNC.

I have a few kicking around, are you telling me I can sell them for more than £50? Kids get given them off a aunt for birthdays and Christmas, can never be arsed to go to a bank and pay them in. 

31 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

I have a few kicking around, are you telling me I can sell them for more than £50? Kids get given them off a aunt for birthdays and Christmas, can never be arsed to go to a bank and pay them in. 

Only if they're UNC. No creases and no folds. See how much they put them on eBay for.

12 minutes ago, SidS said:

Only if they're UNC. No creases and no folds. See how much they put them on eBay for.

They are going for about £65. Mine look like they have come straight of the press so on eBay they will go. Just to throw the cat amongst the pigeon's it looks like cash is worth more as digital (sorry cash lovers, couldn't resist). 

On 16/02/2023 at 22:23, Bogart said:

Seething having just put the phone down on an obnoxious creature at Lloyds bank. Was trying to pay Fadeinstar on here for one of his Sigma machines.

Went alright told all was hunky dory until I get a message saying ring us. So ring them they are not happy to whom I am trying to pay the money.

Talk about the third degree treating me like a halfwit. What am I buying  am not telling you, no did not like that reply nor a lot of others I gave him.

I would put in a complaint but as our conversation ended with me telling him to f off might not be the best way. I should not have said that to him but

having spent about 30 minutes on the phone to him  I had had enough.

Rant over going for a drink.

Deja vu,

I’ll rant about NATWEST a couple of weeks ago. Same thing but more controlling.

I had just joined TSF and all this shiny stuff got me not a buying frenzy. Not big bucks, but silver coins and puppy dog tails value and added the 2 recipients and a watch dealer as new payees. I use a banking AP and need it for mobility as I travel and don’t trust the missus at home to not buy expensive c**p. To pay you have to( for those without the account):

Finger print recognition and facial login.

Confirm EXACT details of person’s details and confirm business of private etc.

Click box you understand scams etc then another warning asking if you’ve got Bill Gates tracking chip installed in your brain.

You must then have facial scan and blink.

Confirm. Done. Nope…I beg to differ.

I get a text from fraud department. Then I call. Go through 3 security questions.

A very arrogant south Asian lady asked about the transaction and why. I confirmed they were legit and played her game and told her what they were for and to help her with her check sheet. Then I got the third degree……have you spoken and seen these people? Why do you need to pay them?. I told her that I had swept the money over to this account to pay them as I never need more than the basic amount in current account for security(lose phone, hacking). Good to go? Nah. The questioning was more intense- what metals, what website etc, why don’t you use PayPal as we don’t like this risk.The three new accounts were actually business accounts(TSF Members) too! I then got impatient and said the ‘trigger’ words- it’s my money- you’ve had all the confirmation, just pay MY money to these payees. I said I have a business account linked and £millions of transaction annually for over twenty years. I said historically I have sent 5 figure transaction- ‘Don’t care’ Then she said- ‘I don’t believe you’ and we’re cancelling these transactions. WTF. I couldn’t believe it and no amount of pleading (my money) changed it after 30 minutes of grilling. ****xn Cockwombles. It was an inquisition with attitude which got my goat. Apologies, but I’m old school and I pay my debts immediately without hesitation.

Then I scrambled around setting up PayPal because I’m a new member and need to build trust and being a tyre kicker doesn’t sit well with me.

I’m really nervous now setting up new payees because BIG brother tells you what you can do with your money even though you’ve jumped through all the security hoops. They’re all the same and depends the level of ‘Power Trip’ the employee of the bank wants.

Security and safety is paramount but there are levels.

Rant complete.

“Foook You, you’re an irrelevant customer, go somewhere else peasant, nobody’s listening, I’m alright Jack”

-Royal Mint 2024

7 hours ago, ZRPMs said:

Just bought a bathroom suite at B & Q. £753. I paid cash, 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. My god, the supervisor came, then the manager. People were looking. The poor girl that put the suite together on the teleputer for me didn't know what to do. Hence the supervisor. "It's a lot of money sir." "I know" I said "but your the ones charging me that. Can I get any discounts." They took it though to be fair. There was an old boy at the self serve tills laughing his head off and the young couple after me. I thought I heard her say to her boyfriend "god I've never seen so much cash. whilst giving me dirty looks because I didn't use a card, I presume. Hilarious. Use cash at every opportunity. We'll end up cash less if we don't

Can I get any discounts

You Sir have caused some tickled ribs. Thank you!

On 16/02/2023 at 22:50, silvergaga said:

When we put our money into our bank I am sure the bank thinks it is theirs and not ours. They say they are trying to protect our money from our own foolishness. I am sick of all of their security hoops we have to jump through.

I can't access my money half the time I want to, because I need to borrow my wife's mobile phone for 6 digit pass numbers to get into my own account, before I can do any transaction. The bank has 20 questions every time I try to spend anything. I just ignore them all and always click on moving money to another account of mine.

They recently split my credit card, from my bank account, so that the 2 are no longer linked. I need an app to operate my creditcard. I don't have a mobile phone, I have a landline and the bank can't send a 6 digit number text to a landline. They don't give a terrible about their customers. Only our money. God help us when the digital pound arrives later this year. Up here in the North of Scotland, we don't even have mobile bank vans in lots of our towns.

Cash, silver and gold is needed to keep our freedom.

That's my rant, idiots run the banks and idiots run the country. Thanks Bogart for setting me off on this one.

My rant do you would be - embrace tech as 1950's banking is expensive to run and maintain. People want and expect free banking and are not going to pay for it so the minority can have 8 different banks in the high street. Everything is is moving to app based world. Monzo is great why not use that. I had an NatWest/RBS account its online app is complex and awful. Monzo is easy and simple to use. 

Embrace new tech, im older and have done so. Otherwise you become bitter and left behind. GEN-Z and Milienals are going to be using alot of tech to deal with there day to day life and are not going to provide the analogue systems boomers my gen  are use in there day to day lives for the last 40 years. Im sorry but thats what you sound like...  an old man that not embraced tech and blaming others for the world no longer feeling like it use to. I can just imagine your poor wife getting the same boring rant about the bank everytime you need to interrupt her for the six digit code. 

i get a bit bored of reading all the tin hat stuff on here too. 

43 minutes ago, JGL100 said:

My rant do you would be - embrace tech as 1950's banking is expensive to run and maintain. People want and expect free banking and are not going to pay for it so the minority can have 8 different banks in the high street. Everything is is moving to app based world. Monzo is great why not use that. I had an NatWest/RBS account its online app is complex and awful. Monzo is easy and simple to use. 

Embrace new tech, im older and have done so. Otherwise you become bitter and left behind. GEN-Z and Milienals are going to be using alot of tech to deal with there day to day life and are not going to provide the analogue systems boomers my gen  are use in there day to day lives for the last 40 years. Im sorry but thats what you sound like...  an old man that not embraced tech and blaming others for the world no longer feeling like it use to. I can just imagine your poor wife getting the same boring rant about the bank everytime you need to interrupt her for the six digit code. 

I can't speak for the person you're replying to, but I for one would be happy to "embrace" decentralised cryptocurrencies to replace the bank transactionss if it became accepted by normies. But it hasn't become so, therefore cash still leads the pack for private control of your own money.

51 minutes ago, JGL100 said:

you'll learn the hard way mate

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

52 minutes ago, JGL100 said:

Well said, I have been using revolute for years, the tech far outweighs any bank and the occasional security mishap is sorted in a few minutes. 

Don't worry about the tin hat stuff, let it go over your head. seems to come with the territory with collecting metals used for centuries.