• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Random Rant

Bogart

58 minutes ago, ArgentSmith said:

tin hat?

Yeah thinking the world will end, going all in Gold/Silver and not having a diversified portfolio or Pension due to some crazy theories and reading Redit. 

1 hour ago, sovereignsteve said:

you'll learn the hard way mate

Give examples in your life where its happened. 

14 hours ago, bluemoon said:

A lot of kindred spirits on this thread which is heartening, I only wish it was representative of wider society. Let's keep pushing it.

I like £50 notes actually, good for grocery shopping, restaurants, etc. Most faked notes are fivers and tenners but the average Wilko till worker gets nervous around £50s. Frankly with inflation, we should have a £100 note in circulation. I learned the other day that Euros go up to 200 Euro notes and until recently they had a 500 Euro note!. B of E wants to limit us to £50s though? Madness!

Sharps Pixley of course take £50s with no issues, they have a machine that counts cash notes in a matter of seconds. No excuse for businesses to not accept cash.

Lidl self service machines no longer take cash, even though the hole in which to drop your coins into are still physically there on the machines, it's just Lidl who have switched off that part of the machine from working.

As for Barclays, I spoke to their fraud team after making a payment to eBay they were suspicious of, and they do treat you like criminals. Even without that, just making normal payments mean logging in with a PINSendry device, texting my phone to conform payment, then another PINsendry confirmation dance. What a merry-go-round. I'm not much of a crypto fan but I did once pay for something in Bitcoin and I was amazed at how much less hassle you get than you do from the banks. Like wow, I just made a payment without being treated like a suspected drug dealer, I thought to myself how refreshing that was!

Still prefer cash though.

Cash will cost more for Lidl to manage then the 0.3% charge MC or Visa charge the vendor per transaction. 

29 minutes ago, JGL100 said:

You can read and not post... this site needs some balance too much nonsense tin hat stuff goes on. its not a forum about PM. Its forum for the Paranoid 

God knows why we would want to talk about Rishi or any of them other ex PM's

Big brother is watching us you only have to talk about a subject and the next thing your bombarded with adverts for that very thing. I have taped the microphone up on my phone stop the buggars listening in. Be safe wear your hat with pride

thumbs-up-conspiracy.gif

Edited by Fenlander1

10 minutes ago, Fenlander1 said:

Big brother is watching us you only have to talk about a subject and the next thing your bombarded with adverts for that very thing. I have taped the microphone up on my phone stop the buggars listening in. Be safe wear your hat with pride

thumbs-up-conspiracy.gif

I'm with you on that. I've thrown my phone, computer, and the microwave. I've snuck in to the neighbours to post this, and to prove a point. I told him His security wasn't worth $h!t. When the man come's for you. Your toast

giphy.gif

Edited by ZRPMs

9 minutes ago, Fenlander1 said:

I have taped the microphone up on my phone stop the buggars listening in.

That takes the fun out of it. 😁

I regularly whisper swear words into my phone to see if anything interesting pops up. It hasn't yet, it's clearly being a t***. 😉

Still nothing has cropped up.

On 17/02/2023 at 09:29, Bogart said:

I have sent Fadeingstar a cart of salt and a couple of pigs in full payment.

So I can't have your Sigma, then?  🤣

12 Beginner Tips for Better Coin Photos

Everything you need to take great coin photos

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

6 hours ago, SidS said:

That takes the fun out of it. 😁

I regularly whisper swear words into my phone to see if anything interesting pops up. It hasn't yet, it's clearly being a t***. 😉

Still nothing has cropped up.

Whenever I visit my brother I add things to his Amazon shopping basket through Alexa when he is not in the room. This has kept me entertained for years. 

1 hour ago, Bigmarc said:

Whenever I visit my brother I add things to his Amazon shopping basket through Alexa when he is not in the room. This has kept me entertained for years. 

How many black eyes do you have?

I think with regards to the banks having multiple accounts can be ideal. 

For example I use monzo for bank transfers as it is so easy and straight forward on the phone.

I got a NatWest account which used to be crowded with transactions from McDonald's happy meals right through to a sov purchase here on the silver forum. Now it is an account which I no longer use for transactions but instead trying to build up savings and provide a foundation. Being a main high street bank it is much easier to get cash from NatWest then monzo who charge a % fee for cash withdrawal. 

Nationwide is account which I have saved in from a young age. I don't spend a penny at all from this account. Again just a savings account.

I also have a revolut account which I keep adding £30-£70 a month this is for the use of contactless transactions, i.e transport, lunch small purchases.

The landscape for banking is changing no doubt, now whilst I do get frustrated with their line of questioning it is imo important to have a highstreet main bank which you can go in branch to conduct business. Which is where the fintech banks have a disadvantage. 

Have a mixture of institutions boys and girls when it comes to banking.  

Edited by Tn21

2 hours ago, Tn21 said:

I think with regards to the banks having multiple accounts can be ideal. 

For example I use monzo for bank transfers as it is so easy and straight forward on the phone.

I got a NatWest account which used to be crowded with transactions from McDonald's happy meals right through to a sov purchase here on the silver forum. Now it is an account which I no longer use for transactions but instead trying to build up savings and provide a foundation. Being a main high street bank it is much easier to get cash from NatWest then monzo who charge a % fee for cash withdrawal. 

Nationwide is account which I have saved in from a young age. I don't spend a penny at all from this account. Again just a savings account.

I also have a revolut account which I keep adding £30-£70 a month this is for the use of contactless transactions, i.e transport, lunch small purchases.

The landscape for banking is changing no doubt, now whilst I do get frustrated with their line of questioning it is imo important to have a highstreet main bank which you can go in branch to conduct business. Which is where the fintech banks have a disadvantage. 

Have a mixture of institutions boys and girls when it comes to banking.  

Good points well made sir. I need to give this some consideration. Presently all my banking is via a single entity. Need to grab another account or two. Heard good things about Chase so will take a look at that and maybe one more mainstream high st institution. Tks

11 minutes ago, JamesH said:

Good points well made sir. I need to give this some consideration. Presently all my banking is via a single entity. Need to grab another account or two. Heard good things about Chase so will take a look at that and maybe one more mainstream high st institution. Tks

I think chase is 1% back on all transactions but as far as the metals community is concerned their name is mud. A few of my mates have it and love it. 

15 minutes ago, JamesH said:

Get a few accounts. Handy when someone offers a good amount to switch.

• 2 weeks later...

Just another voice adding to the noise about Barclays - never had an issue before today and I've done plenty of transactions with TSF, but trying to buy a Heraeus bar last night and this morning and been given the third degree by Barclays Fraud Squad. The first guy was a complete pompous p**** talked to me like I was simple. I had to ring them back and the lady I spoke to the second time was much better, but was still asking 1001 questions - they obviously get prompted by some sort of script on their IT system but they just couldn't seem to get their head around the idea of a forum for collectors. I even had to say to her that it's a damned sight safer than eBay. I think they'd just prefer that we could use PayPal so that they don't have to take the risk of having to refund a fraudulent transaction.

Edited by misterchippie
Spelling

If people are having problems transferring why not use paying a friend option? Just a thought.

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

3 hours ago, ArgentSmith said:

If people are having problems transferring why not use paying a friend option? Just a thought.

That's a good idea. Since we're individuals on here anyway, it's like paying a friend. And we're all buddies on this forum, right? 😏 🎎🤘👊👍👯‍♀️