• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2023 Coronation King Charles III and Queen Camilla Gold Sovereign

Midasfrog

17 minutes ago, BiigT said:

Good to know... Thanks. I was thinking of sending my 4 coin set back because I don't care much for standard releases, but it makes them more special with the crown so I might have convinced myself they are worth it. 

Doubt they'll see a major uplift any time soon. But holding long term I'm sure they'll do well and outshine KC standard proofs that'll be on the market. 1st year issue proofs bar none have ALL,  100% ALWAYS, bar none. So that's not a bad track record. Just shame it may take 10-20-50 or 100+ years to see proper gains. So your unborn grand children may thank you with nice flowers in 2123 :(

7 minutes ago, Paul said:

Doubt they'll see a major uplift any time soon. But holding long term I'm sure they'll do well and outshine KC standard proofs that'll be on the market. 1st year issue proofs bar none have ALL,  100% ALWAYS, bar none. So that's not a bad track record. Just shame it may take 10-20-50 or 100+ years to see proper gains. So your unborn grand children may thank you with nice flowers in 2123 :(

But don't forget the RM's change of strategy - it now seems to be to release as many coins as it can to get as much money out of collectors as is possible!  This is likely to impact on the performance of one's coins.  For the Coronation, we didn't just have the sovereigns, but there were the "Ounce" coins as well.  The Britannias used to be eagerly anticipated but now it is "Oh, what have they done to them this year"!

And on a pedantic note, it could be argued that last year's Memorial sovereign was the first KCIII proof sovereign rather than this Coronation release!

I got the platinum jubilee 3 Coin set, the memorial 5 coin set and the coronation 4 coin set. I only graded the 5 set as I wanted the 5 sov in top grade, but happy to leave the others raw. I've been collecting a few years and don't plan selling any of them tbh. If I need the money I'll cash them in when I need to, but if I don't need the money I expect they will all go to my only child and his kids (if/when he has them). 

I like collecting because they are small pieces of history and it's nice to reflect back and remember as I get older. I'm just interested if the crown will be repeated as I tend not to buy run of the mill sovs. I keep promising myself an 1817 but most of what I had set aside went on the 4 coin set. If/when I get an 1817 I think that'll be me until a change of monarch. 

I still think just stick to the biggest size and most limited = five sovereign proof

For your most reward

It's a no brainer. Buy it, hold it, and cash out when you wish to realise your gains. But it will at least 5 to 10+years wait 

It's not an overnight double your money  release that's for sure 

1 hour ago, Paul said:

I still think just stick to the biggest size and most limited = five sovereign proof

For your most reward

It's a no brainer. Buy it, hold it, and cash out when you wish to realise your gains. But it will at least 5 to 10+years wait 

It's not an overnight double your money  release that's for sure 

The 5 sovereign stand alone is not proof. Still want it but disappointed.

“Foook You, you’re an irrelevant customer, go somewhere else peasant, nobody’s listening, I’m alright Jack”

-Royal Mint 2024

@BiigT I like the £5 BU’s, I’ve bagged a few 4 coins sets to keep. There’s always good potential in the special year  proof 5 sovereign  sets just because of the £5 poof sovereign .  In many cases the £5 has and will fetch more than the purchase price of the 5 coin set (effectively getting a 4 coin set for free), even if you look at the memorial £5 sov, the market has softened a tat bit graded ones will turn 4k now leaving the 4 coins only owing you £1500 quid depending on gold price of the day it’s bullion sovereign money……..it’s hard to lose if you look at this way.

There’s plenty of time for the memorial sets to mature, and the crowned coronation set will be just as important as all other coronation year sovereigns. 1937,1911,1902, etc .

Yes the mintages of the Coronation £5 and the £2 sovereigns relative to the 1902, 1911 and 1936 sets is much lower. These will be important key coins for collectors.

See the link below to my coin dedicated YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC32DEmDzkaZCBTBVTDiYr0A

I'm debating a 4 coin set, they are still available, and I'd need to sell some shiny to afford it, but - it's only going to be all the returns and total shockers that are left now surely?

And I'm not even convinced that I really, really want one. I have the SotD, maybe I should just be happy with that - that was my plan after all.

But I can't shake the thought that maybe I should take a punt...Jeez this game is agony sometimes!

26 minutes ago, TheShinyStuff said:

I'm debating a 4 coin set, they are still available, and I'd need to sell some shiny to afford it, but - it's only going to be all the returns and total shockers that are left now surely?

And I'm not even convinced that I really, really want one. I have the SotD, maybe I should just be happy with that - that was my plan after all.

But I can't shake the thought that maybe I should take a punt...Jeez this game is agony sometimes!

It depends what you'd sell tbh. I'm glad I asked the questions as I'm now convinced the coronation coins are just as important as the platinum and memorial. I also bought the SOTD and I'm awaiting it being graded, but it all depends on how important you view it in your collection. If you have to sell run of the mill sovs to get this it's a no brainer but I would think twice if it were something more notable

16 minutes ago, BiigT said:

It depends what you'd sell tbh. I'm glad I asked the questions as I'm now convinced the coronation coins are just as important as the platinum and memorial. I also bought the SOTD and I'm awaiting it being graded, but it all depends on how important you view it in your collection. If you have to sell run of the mill sovs to get this it's a no brainer but I would think twice if it were something more notable

I agree with you on all points, but I'm just pretty certain that if I did buy one then it would be in terrible condition, and I don't know that I can be bothered with the grief.

i m sure it has been already explained...but i missed it...

what's the difference (as per RM website) between available to order and in stock? both option give the chance to put the item in the basket and go to the check out..

thanks!

3 minutes ago, refero said:

i m sure it has been already explained...but i missed it...

what's the difference (as per RM website) between available to order and in stock? both option give the chance to put the item in the basket and go to the check out..

thanks!

The available to order coins must not be in stock yet, I suppose.

Own it and Love it.

(With thanks to 9x883 for the suggestion)

On 21/06/2023 at 11:02, GoldDiggerDave said:

There’s always good potential in the special year  proof 5 sovereign  sets just because of the £5 poof sovereign.

I don’t recall @westminstrel giving us the heads-up on that one!

Own it and Love it.

19 hours ago, TheShinyStuff said:

I tend to dwell on such decisions for a considerable time before I arrive at the conclusion I’m happy with. I share your concerns regarding what you could end up with from the Mint.

You did really well to get a SOTD and, maybe you could wait and see what comes up on the secondary market?  Bearing in mind the high mintage of the sov as well as the low mintage of your SOTD, perhaps you could forego acquiring everything in the 4 coin set and just go for the £2 proof instead?  Or is it more the prestige of owning the 4 coin set itself?

Own it and Love it.

10 minutes ago, GoodAsGold said:

I tend to dwell on such decisions for a considerable time before I arrive at the conclusion I’m happy with. I share your concerns regarding what you could end up with from the Mint.

You did really well to get a SOTD and, maybe you could wait and see what comes up on the secondary market?  Bearing in mind the high mintage of the sov as well as the low mintage of your SOTD, perhaps you could forego acquiring everything in the 4 coin set and just go for the £2 proof instead?  Or is it more the prestige of owning the 4 coin set itself?

Good to know I'm not the only one who dwells on these things! 

If I did end up buying one I would keep it intact, I don't think my OCD would ever recover from me breaking up such a set, although it would make sense - as you say the double is the one worth having.

Hmm.

5 minutes ago, TheShinyStuff said:

Good to know I'm not the only one who dwells on these things! 

If I did end up buying one I would keep it intact, I don't think my OCD would ever recover from me breaking up such a set, although it would make sense - as you say the double is the one worth having.

Hmm.

Decisions, decisions. Not so easy when there’s thousands of pounds at stake. When I mentioned that I tend to dwell on decisions until I’m happy with whatever I decide, I failed to mention that they’re not always right in the longer run but they seemed right at the time!

Knowing I couldn’t afford a £5 proof Memorial in a box set I took the plunge on the raw £5 BU. When the opportunity came to buy a PF70 £5 sov off a TSF member then I upgraded to that. The Bank of Wife had to help me out with that one. So now I’m dwelling on the future of the BU coin. I’ve still not got around to the Coronation sov yet but I “think” I know my plan. It would be very handy to have a 2nd wife though!

TBH box sets are not my thing. Hopefully the monarchy will settle down for a while now, I can settle my IOU and then think about obtaining a first ever SOTD myself (raw though, so I could admire its plain edge). 

Own it and Love it.

1 hour ago, GoodAsGold said:

Decisions, decisions. Not so easy when there’s thousands of pounds at stake. When I mentioned that I tend to dwell on decisions until I’m happy with whatever I decide, I failed to mention that they’re not always right in the longer run but they seemed right at the time!

Knowing I couldn’t afford a £5 proof Memorial in a box set I took the plunge on the raw £5 BU. When the opportunity came to buy a PF70 £5 sov off a TSF member then I upgraded to that. The Bank of Wife had to help me out with that one. So now I’m dwelling on the future of the BU coin. I’ve still not got around to the Coronation sov yet but I “think” I know my plan. It would be very handy to have a 2nd wife though!

TBH box sets are not my thing. Hopefully the monarchy will settle down for a while now, I can settle my IOU and then think about obtaining a first ever SOTD myself (raw though, so I could admire its plain edge). 

Maybe buy the box set and sell the others?