• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Share your worst PM incident please

Hello everyone, just a place to put those PM horror stories, I'll get the ball rolling with the tale of Mr Happy.

I bought said proof 1/4 oz of gold for I think it was £410 from Bullion By Post. When it arrived the capsule had opened and the coin had slid out of the capsule. So I slid it back in with my thumb and secured the lid. Oh dear, shock horror Mr Happy was now Mr Scarface, with a terrible stain over half his face, my thumb print. Damn I thought can't send it back now, oh well I'll just deal with it.

That evening my adult daughter asked to see Mr Scarface, when she lifted the capsule it opened again and fell from her grasp. She tried to catch the coin before it hit the floor but alas no luck. So now Mr Scarface is a real mess prints all over it and a few scratches.

Lesson learnt, don't buy proofs. Thanks for reading and perhaps posting.

Edited by artalien

8 minutes ago, artalien said:

Hello everyone, just a place to put those PM horror stories, I'll get the ball rolling with the tale of Mr Happy.

I bought said proof 1/4 oz of gold for I think it was £410 from Bullion By Post. When it arrived the capsule had opened and the coin had slid out of the capsule. So I slid it back in with my thumb and secured the lid. Oh dear, shock horror Mr Happy was now Mr Scarface, with a terrible stain over half his face, my thumb print. Damn I thought can't send it back now, oh well I'll just deal with it.

That evening my adult daughter asked to see Mr Scarface, when she lifted the capsule it opened again and fell from her grasp. She tried to catch the coin before it hit the floor but alas no luck. So now Mr Scarface is a real mess prints all over it and a few scratches.

Lesson learnt, don't buy proofs. Thanks for reading and perhaps posting.

Pictures, pictures!

2 minutes ago, Darr3nG said:

I'm sure @GoldDiggerDave will be able to buff that out! ;) 

Need to ask my daughter as she felt so guilty she bought it off me for £360 (price of new sovereign).

2 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

Pictures, pictures!

No can do at present, no longer in my hot little hands.

My worst purchase ( and not an accident ) was winning a 1 kilo silver Kookaburra at a great price on eBay.
What arrived was a tiny thin silver replica about 12mm diameter weighing a gram or two.
The seller used a library picture and claims not to have known the difference.
Luckily the seller accepted it back but there were some tense moments for sure.

19 minutes ago, Pete said:

a 1 kilo silver Kookaburra at a great price on eBay.
What arrived was a tiny thin silver replica about 12mm diameter weighing a gram or two.

WoW! lol blinking hell, don't know quite what to say, was the seller hoping you wouldn't notice it was a bit short or ....what was the evil plan?

Years ago (when we had money) I went routing through the missus hand bag for some money for the coffee machine at work. Inside the hand bag was some used bits of tissue, I fished it out and threw it down the toilet, grabbed a couple of quid and headed off to work. Turns out the night before on a night out she had taken her diamond earrings out wrapped them up for Safe keeping. They cost me just under 2 grand and gone in seconds. No insurance. 

Now I have insurance 

Around five years ago I was browsing on ebay and showing a work colleague how some people push up bids on their own coins. I placed a bid and it kept on jumping up on a 1oz silver libertad, one from the eighties I think.

As it climbed near £60 I said to my colleague that I'll leave him with his own high bid but he stopped short at the last 20 minutes leaving me as the highest bidder.  Egg on face and a battered looking coin came through the post a few days later. That'll teach me :lol:

1 hour ago, Bigmarc said:

Years ago (when we had money) I went routing through the missus hand bag for some money for the coffee machine at work. Inside the hand bag was some used bits of tissue, I fished it out and threw it down the toilet, grabbed a couple of quid and headed off to work. Turns out the night before on a night out she had taken her diamond earrings out wrapped them up for Safe keeping. They cost me just under 2 grand and gone in seconds. No insurance. 

Now I have insurance 

Very important lesson - NEVER rifle through a lady's handbag.
You got off lightly if you still have your bits intact !

I bought my wife a chunky 18ct gold chain one year.
In today's money probably worth just under 2 grand.

A few years after the event, she admitted to losing it because she handed a woollen jumper to a charity shop only to later remember the chain was inside a side pocket in the jumper. It had been insured but since she was too embarrassed to tell me for a couple of years, I thought W.T.F. and didn't claim. How could you ever prove this and what would be the impact for the following 10 years on your future insurance premiums if claimed ?

Received a 1oz gold coin from (either chards or Atkinsons) took out of safe flip to have a good look at condition. Very very nice condition and went to do my checks. came to checking dimensions so because my calipers were above kitchen unit, I climbed onto worktop to retrieve ( what could possibly go wrong??) 

I knelt on the ****ing kettle lead.so like any normal person would do, I threw the coin so I could rub my sore knee😁 apparently pure gold is quite soft when dropped from height. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

25 minutes ago, Pete said:

A few years after the event, she admitted to losing it because she handed a woollen jumper to a charity shop only to later remember the chain was inside a side pocket in the jumper.

OMG - hehe, my wife came home with a new dent in the front of the car, told me someone must have hit it in the car park when she was shopping. I said ok then we'll get the security footage to find out. Floods of tears ensued and finally she admitted that it was her who drove into a pole, erm should I say HAD to admit re security footage pending

2 minutes ago, artalien said:

Best pictures I could get @GoldDiggerDave  The Queen has a scratch below her nose that doesn't show.

20220923_162449.jpg

20220923_161938.jpg

20220923_161647.jpg

20220923_161642.jpg

20220923_161559.jpg

Its had a hard life, can't do anything with scratches but can clean up the fields.......What gets on my goat is that the RM us press fit capsules for proof coins, okay for bullion but I've had loads of proof coins out of the capsules.