• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Spend less. Buy Silver

Silver2022

54 minutes ago, Silver2022 said:

Let's say you spend $2000 less per month, you will have $12000 in 6 months. To earn $12,000 from stock markets or investments you will have to invest $50,000. You can lose all your money. Gold & Silver are safest investments. So spending less is better than investing. 

I was going to say:

"Spend even less and buy gold"

In the UK and EU, there is VAT on most things, including silver, platinum and palladium coins and bars, which is the main reason you would pay less on gold.

As you are in the USA, this does not apply to you, but...

Manufacturing costs as a percentage are higher on silver than on gold, so you can still buy gold for less (lower % premium) than silver.

That's better investing.

This ignores the Gold:Silver ratio, but in that case there is a strong argument in favour of platinum instead.

😎

Chards

1 hour ago, Silver2022 said:

Let's say you spend $2000 less per month, you will have $12000 in 6 months. To earn $12,000 from stock markets or investments you will have to invest $50,000. You can lose all your money. Gold & Silver are safest investments. So spending less is better than investing. 

So, spend less in order to have money to buy silver? Or what is your point?

2 hours ago, Silver2022 said:

this is assuming you can spend less than 2000 per month, what happens if your wages are 1990 per month, you starve

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

2 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

I was going to say:

"Spend even less and buy gold"

In the UK and EU, there is VAT on most things, including silver, platinum and palladium coins and bars, which is the main reason you would pay less on gold.

As you are in the USA, this does not apply to you, but...

Manufacturing costs as a percentage are higher on silver than on gold, so you can still buy gold for less (lower % premium) than silver.

That's better investing.

This ignores the Gold:Silver ratio, but in that case there is a strong argument in favour of platinum instead.

😎

Silver and Platinum will revert to mean in the long term, at least both will move towards it im sure, so for patient money a great deal regardless of VAT. GHold trading as thinking mans safe haven alternative to overpriced USD.

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

51 minutes ago, Silver2022 said:

To earn $12000 from stock markets, you will have to invest/spend $50,000. That is the main point

Thats nearly 50% annual return what stock markets are we talking about here?

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

3 hours ago, Silver2022 said:

To earn $12000 from stock markets, you will have to invest/spend $50,000. That is the main point

This is getting somewhat confusing. So buying shares is "spending", while buying silver is "investing"?

Sorry, I'm still missing your point. If the goal of this thread is to convince people to spend less and thus save some more money, that's ok I guess. But how this calculation of the yield from the stock markets fits in the discussion of whether gold and silver are good investment I have no idea.

14 minutes ago, CollectForFun said:

But how this calculation of the yield from the stock markets fits in the discussion of whether gold and silver are good investment I have no idea.

I'm curious on this stock market yield too. Was that 12k per month or per year? Or per 6 months like the saving schedule? 🤔

7 hours ago, Gordy said:

this is assuming you can spend less than 2000 per month, what happens if your wages are 1990 per month, you starve

Let's say you spend $200 less per month, you will have $1200 in 6 months. To earn $1200 from stock markets or investments you will have to invest $10,000+

9 hours ago, James32 said:

Nobody and I mean Nobody tag @GoldDiggerDave 🤫

You have just woke me up!....................I just read the title and I'm sure someone has just made up and account just to post daft stuff and try and trigger me.  

Edited by GoldDiggerDave

14 hours ago, Silver2022 said:

If you have $2000 or (£1700ish) disposable income first I would consider you fortunate.  I use to have £3000-£4000 disposable per month  in my last job.

You have to buy your freedom first before anything and what I mean about your freedom is to be 100% debt free zero mortgage and zero debt, with £1,700 per month you can drive down debt at an impressive rate.......Pay the most expensive debt off first I.E credit and store cards.

Paying off debt is not exciting or glamorous and you have nothing shiny to hold but it will be the best thing you are anyone can do, especially if you have that kind of disposable income.

Once you have nothing ...............The day you are debt free and have zero in the bank  (i don't mean have zero still be liquid the day you have 6k left on your mortgage and you have funds to cover it I'd give it a few months extra comfortably solvent) Once you  hit this point you are free to do what you want wit your money and if you see a future in silver then fill your boots with it it's your money do with it what you want.  

Is there better PM yes?  but I won't go there today, drive down your debt  first you are incredibly fortunate to have an opportunity to buy your freedom millions won't even have a hope in hell as they have zero spare at the end of the month millions more will have less than zero at the end of the month they are being pushed further into compounding debt by inflation.  

Open question to all.......How long will a normal working person who's 18 years old now in a normal job to get to the point where they have nothing as I described, have zero debt and have a home?......

5 hours ago, Silver2022 said:

Let's say you spend $200 less per month, you will have $1200 in 6 months. To earn $1200 from stock markets or investments you will have to invest $10,000+

but with this logic, you havnt actually earned anything, you've literally just spent less

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

5 hours ago, Silver2022 said:

Let's say you spend $200 less per month, you will have $1200 in 6 months.

Actually you have AG that you paid 1200$ for it (real value is no oz x spot price). An oz of PM is an oz of PM  until you sale, only then you make a profit or take a loss.

Edited by daca

3 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Open question to all.......How long will a normal working person who's 18 years old now in a normal job to get to the point where they have nothing as I described, have zero debt and have a home?......

Why aim for a 'normal' job though? 🤔

I still think they could do it by 30 without any 'lucky trades' or special knowledge. Being more creative easily slash that down. Going from what you can buy in England in plenty of reasonable areas say within an hour of Manchester to give some context.

2 hours ago, modofantasma said:

Why aim for a 'normal' job though? 🤔

For a rest.

I was self employed for 20 years and was close to burning out. Now I get paid to be sick and if I kark it the missus will get half a million. Still do the odd side hustle to keep my mind active.

20 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

For a rest.

I was self employed for 20 years and was close to burning out. Now I get paid to be sick and if I kark it the missus will get half a million. Still do the odd side hustle to keep my mind active.

Yeah fair point. No harm in doing both like you've done. Neither self employment or a job is a guarantee of a good life either, people in the clover and some up s**** creek on both sides 

Here are some ways to save money/less spending and pay your bills.

Eat home cooked foods. I think when you eat in restaurants and outside you pay +30% more money. Shave once in 15 days, use less shampoos, soaps, toothpaste, use less softwares. I think 50% of the softwares sold to people are useless or not required. Save electricity and gas.