• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Storing sovereigns

Advice needed.

Considering the dimensions of sovereigns have remained basically unchanged for a very long time, and they are so popular, finding capsules that fit them properly seems to be impossible.  I can get 22.5mm capsules all day long, but that is just big enough to rattle.  I need 22.05mm capsules.

I prefer to use exact-fit capsules - I don't need to stack them in standard tubes, I'm not that rich, so I'd rather have capsules that are just big enough to fit the coin.  

Apart from trying to source RM screw capsules, that are as rare as hen's teeth, and cost ridiculous amounts (£16 for a capsule is a joke), what do other people do?  Do you just accept the inevitable and use over-size capsules and foam rings, or let them rattle?

12 Beginner Tips for Better Coin Photos

Everything you need to take great coin photos

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

18 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

It's a pack of 20!

The one I saw said nothing about 20.  It strongly implied it was a single capsule.

If you could share a link for it, actually in stock, that would be very useful, thanks.

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

16 minutes ago, Fadeingstar said:

Do lighthouse not make 22mm capsules or would these be to tight?

I tried a 22mm and it's too tight - probably work if I pushed hard enough.  Not going to do that.

1 minute ago, Charliemouse said:

The one I saw said nothing about 20.  It strongly implied it was a single capsule.

If you could share a link for it, actually in stock, that would be very useful, thanks.

2 minutes ago, Goldfever20 said:

Even though they are unavailable, I have been waiting over 3 months for them now. I need only 10 if anyone would have some spare please let me know.

20220822_122653.jpg

Yeah, it wasn't the RM site I saw it - it was another site just gauging it as a second hand capsule.

Anyone have a contact in Lighthouse or Air-tite?  This has surely got to be a gap in the market.

I have a big bag of RM screw capsules in my accessories box I think, I don't use them as I like the airtite ringed capsules.

Would have to see how many I have but more than willing to part with them, wont even charge you £16 each either :) 

PM me if you want me to dig them out

5 hours ago, Charliemouse said:

Advice needed.

Considering the dimensions of sovereigns have remained basically unchanged for a very long time, and they are so popular, finding capsules that fit them properly seems to be impossible.  I can get 22.5mm capsules all day long, but that is just big enough to rattle.  I need 22.05mm capsules.

I prefer to use exact-fit capsules - I don't need to stack them in standard tubes, I'm not that rich, so I'd rather have capsules that are just big enough to fit the coin.  

Apart from trying to source RM screw capsules, that are as rare as hen's teeth, and cost ridiculous amounts (£16 for a capsule is a joke), what do other people do?  Do you just accept the inevitable and use over-size capsules and foam rings, or let them rattle?

Who charges £16 each for capsules?

😎

Chards

3 hours ago, DrDave said:

https://www.thelondoncoincompany.com/store/22-05mm-Royal-Mint-Screw-Type-Coin-Capsule-Fits-Full-Sovereign-Gold-Coin-p161953037

Is this the one you saw?

Looks like its for one capsule. They big up the fact that RM haven't got any stock.

Yes, that's the one I saw and mentioned in the OP.  Ridiculous.

The RM site has sets for of 20, except as mentioned, they are never in stock.

1 hour ago, LawrenceChard said:

Who charges £16 each for capsules?

😎

See above.

7 hours ago, Foster88 said:

As I say, I'd prefer direct fit capsules, as I think they look better - you can see the sides of the coin.

But I will try the Air-tite foam ones, just to see.  The H series are slightly larger than they need to be.  They do a T series only slightly larger than a sovereign, i.e. has a very narrow foam ring.  0.05mm too small in foam will be a lot more forgiving that 0.05mm in plastic.

Edited by Charliemouse

1 hour ago, Charliemouse said:

Yes, that's the one I saw and mentioned in the OP.  Ridiculous.

The RM site has sets for of 20, except as mentioned, they are never in stock.

See above.

Thanks.

I found the RM page:

https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/ranges/historic-coins/ancillaries/Coin-Capsule-22mm-Pack-of-10/

but they are not the screw top ones.

They are not unreasonable at £3.95 per pack of 10.

I also found the so-called London Coin Companies capsules page meanwhile.

What at total rip-off! And they are not £16 each, but £16.95 each!

It might be a mitigating factor of this included free postage, but they also indicate £3.99 postage.

Subtotal £16.95
Estimated shipping £3.99
TOTAL £20.94

LCC is owned by Ingram Liberman, who only ever seems to sell anything which is a rip-off price.

At least he has stopped using our copyright images, since:

https://24carat.co.uk/frame.php?url=ingramliberman.html

When I met him, he was totally unapologetic, and said everybody does it.

I do not have a high opinion of him, as you might guess!

😎

Chards