• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What is a popular coin to collect and complete date runs with?

Jvw

Hi,

As some of you know I try and complete date runs of gold coins. I started many years ago with collecting different bullion sovereigns. In that bullion date run there are 140 different years when starting from 1838. The good thing is that there are just a handful of key dates and most are widely available. 

I tried the Mexican 50 pesos next and then onto the 100 Peruvian soles. Both have limited years, but are very big and therefore expensive. Now I started the dutch gulden date run, which is a lot of fun and affordable! 

I am interested what date runs you collect and what coins have some 'easy' and affordable date runs. Some coins run for tens of years making date runs very expensive. And then some coins have many key dates making date runs difficult to complete.  

What do you guys think is an affordable coin and 'easy' to complete a date run with? 

Love to hear about your date runs also.

Cheers,

J

Edited by Jvw

Not an expert by any stretch, but I quite fancy the Gillick Sovereigns - 10 in the series, and none super rare, as far as I'm aware ('57 & '59 are lower mintages though)

I like them as it's the portrait I remember most from my childhood, and it includes my birth year, old git that I am 😏

Have had a few folks recommend them too, so guessing they would be easy to move on in the future 🤔

Bob

1 hour ago, Scootermuppet said:

Not an expert by any stretch, but I quite fancy the Gillick Sovereigns - 10 in the series, and none super rare, as far as I'm aware ('57 & '59 are lower mintages though)

I like them as it's the portrait I remember most from my childhood, and it includes my birth year, old git that I am 😏

Have had a few folks recommend them too, so guessing they would be easy to move on in the future 🤔

Bob

GOOD CHOICE.... ooops caps

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

I primarily stack sovereigns and do date runs while doing it.  I aim to do monarch/mint - so currently working on Jubilee Head Melbourne fulls and Jubilee Head London halves.  I have a couple of runs complete, for example Gillicks, George V London, Vicky Old Head London Fulls & halves.  Have a couple where I am missing one or two as well, for example George V SA I am only missing 3.  Not doing very well on most of the others, saving George III, George IV and William IV till last unless they come up at a bargain price, which they don't :(.  I do have duplicates for key dates and special designs but generally I only buy what I don't already have.  Have mostly avoided trying to do graded runs and only have a couple of graded coins which I am planning on parting with to fund my date runs.

Have also started recently to try and do runs for some UK & American currency coins, both silver and cupronickel, this one is more for fun and to feed my habit without the expense of gold so I don't go after high end examples but only but ones that are reasonable with a clear date and not too worn.  Have two full runs of Gillick sixpences (53-67) and almost finished on half crowns, got the full cupronickel run, need a couple in the 50% and a few for the 92.5%.  Florins and Crowns not doing great but not in any rush.  Will move onto the smaller denominations next I think, might start with 3d as I got a couple in a job lot I bought.  For American doing dimes and quarters (especially buffalo quarters).     

9 minutes ago, Ukbullionfan said:

What are the missions dates of a sovereign run from the start date until todays date ? And what was the reasons for the missing dates ?

If you message me your email address I have a spreadsheet with all sovereign date runs and their mintage figures I put together, this is what I use to mark off what I have.  when I finish a run I pick one I already have a couple of and concentrate (not exclusively) on that run

EDIT - just realised I can just message it to you on here - have pinged it over to you on PM

Edited by Orpster

32 minutes ago, Ukbullionfan said:

What are the missions dates of a sovereign run from the start date until todays date ? And what was the reasons for the missing dates ?

I have a sheet also. I found it online and would like to credit it's maker but I forgot which website made is. 

sovereigns.pdf

37 minutes ago, Orpster said:

Have also started recently to try and do runs for some UK & American currency coins, both silver and cupronickel, this one is more for fun and to feed my habit without the expense of gold so I don't go after high end examples but only but ones that are reasonable with a clear date and not too worn.  

I'm doing similar for all the .500 uk circulating currency. Not huge and then amounts of cash or effort required, its just for fun. I love the design and feel of them, the last time coins were actually worth anything in this country. Still need a 1925 half crown at a sensible price, most florins in the bag already and then onto the smaller ones. It's been good fun putting putting a little piece of history together.

22 minutes ago, TheShinyStuff said:

I'm doing similar for all the .500 uk circulating currency. Not huge and then amounts of cash or effort required, its just for fun. I love the design and feel of them, the last time coins were actually worth anything in this country. Still need a 1925 half crown at a sensible price, most florins in the bag already and then onto the smaller ones. It's been good fun putting putting a little piece of history together.

I'm doing this for groat through to crowns issued from 1816-1919. I've already completed crown and double florins. The shillings are close to completion. Half crowns and groats not far behind. The florins and sixpences are miles away. Silver stack and date run t'boot - it's great fun too.

To hell with 3ds though, bloody horrible things.

Edited by SidS

5 hours ago, Jvw said:

What do you guys think is an affordable coin and 'easy' to complete a date run with?

Britannias could be an idea? There's a few to make it a bit of a challenge but not so many that it's going to take decades. Also varying sizes to suit 

6 minutes ago, geowill989 said:

Out of curiosity, why do people do date runs? Is it just because it's fun or do complete sets fetch higher premiums? Or both? Or something else entirely?🤣

Initially I only started stacking sovereigns. Then I made it a bit more interesting to find different years.

Date-runs are way more difficult to sell, way easier to split runs and sell individually. 

I do it because it gives me a sense of 'completion'... <OCD-mode off> ;) 

Edited by Jvw

4 minutes ago, geowill989 said:

Out of curiosity, why do people do date runs? Is it just because it's fun or do complete sets fetch higher premiums? Or both? Or something else entirely?🤣

Novelty really. With bullion it's not going to make much odds if you sell to a dealer. Maybe someone on the 2nd hand market might care enough to pay a tiny bit more. 

As others have said above, sovereigns seem to be very popular to do date runs with.

One tip I’d say to anyone looking to do a date run of older sovereigns is to research first. You could start a date run, ‘variety’ run or ‘branch’ mint run and find that one, two or a few might be impossible to get or cost a hefty amount outside of your budget.

1 hour ago, SidS said:

I'm doing this for groat through to crowns issued from 1816-1919. I've already completed crown and double florins. The shillings are close to completion. Half crowns and groats not far behind. The florins and sixpences are miles away. Silver stack and date run t'boot - it's great fun too.

To hell with 3ds though, bloody horrible things.

Impressive. That is a pretty serious undertaking. You are obviously way more dedicated than me...😀

2 hours ago, geowill989 said:

Because it is fun, keep us busy, we have a clear objective in buying coins we like...

Indeed, sometimes we are paying ridiculous premiums for a rare year or mint, we know exactly that the premium paid will not be ever recovered, but we keep doing this.🤗

2 hours ago, Orpster said:

The voices told me to 🤪

The voice I hear is stuttering.

For example, I have already two date runs complete all years and mints for Franklin "Bell" half dollars and now I am building the third one.

Don't ask me why... The voice....

Shussss!

IMG_20220319_092835.jpg

IMG_20220319_092848.jpg