• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What is a popular coin to collect and complete date runs with?

Jvw

8 hours ago, Jvw said:

Hi,

As some of you know I try and complete date runs of gold coins. I started many years ago with collecting different bullion sovereigns. In that bullion date run there are 140 different years when starting from 1838. The good thing is that there are just a handful of key dates and most are widely available. 

I tried the Mexican 50 pesos next and then onto the 100 Peruvian soles. Both have limited years, but are very big and therefore expensive.

I am interested what date runs you collect and what coins have some 'easy' and affordable date runs. Some coins run for tens of years making date runs very expensive. And then some coins have many key dates making date runs difficult to complete.  

What do you guys think is an affordable coin and 'easy' to complete a date run with? 

Love to hear about your date runs also.

Cheers,

J

Australian one kilo Chinese gold lunar calendar coins, by Perth Mint.

Moderate premiums, but would still be a challenge.

In the bonus side, you do get a different design every year!

Chards

4 hours ago, Orpster said:

If you message me your email address I have a spreadsheet with all sovereign date runs and their mintage figures I put together, this is what I use to mark off what I have.  when I finish a run I pick one I already have a couple of and concentrate (not exclusively) on that run

EDIT - just realised I can just message it to you on here - have pinged it over to you on PM

I'd be grateful for a copy of that please Orpster if no hassle.

Just seen it posted cheers chaps 

Edited by Dakaras

I am not on date runs as yet, though I've recently picked up a few Brits thinking I many do that. My main focus is 1/10th gold's ATM all from different mints. I also have a thing for serial numbers on bars ending in 21 and any coins from 1919.

Keeps it fun, do want to complete a Gillick run, picked up a 1968 so 1 down 🤣

Interesting Sov Date Runs

(1) All Perth Mint Sovereigns (Medium Difficulty)

(2) All Melbourne Mint Half Sovereigns (V Hard)

(3) Gillicks (Easy)

(4) All Type II Sydney Sovereigns (Hard)

(5) All Type I Sydney Sovereigns (V Hard)

Hard also means expensive.  

Not my circus, not my monkeys

I think there would also be mileage in collecting an over date / over letter date run.

Easier in London Mint sovereigns - way way harder on branch Mint Sovs

Not my circus, not my monkeys

well, if we are talking affordability.... silver.... i'd go for Pandas personally... or kooks... Queens Beasts or Tudor Beasts are not really a date run as they can come out twice a year and its classed as a set..... pandas are great for a date run as different designs, same as kooks... Brits are pretty much same design but different year stamp

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

1 minute ago, Gordy said:

<snip>...

Brits are pretty much same design but different year stamp

Or you could go for the 'Special' years of Brits... the ones with different designs, that is.

https://www.britannia-uk.com/britannia#SpecialEdition

It's a Good site for Silver rounds info generally too...

https://www.britannia-uk.com/

I can see @Jvw, your location is in The Netherlands. Have you tried 10 Gulden date run? Maybe are more affordable than other foreign gold coins.

You can choose only one monarch to begin. For example, Willem III, who even rules between 1876 and 1889, were issued guldens only 9 years according Numista page https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces8323.html.

And step by step you can extend your collection.

Good luck, my friend!🤗

12 minutes ago, stefffana said:

I can see @Jvw, your location is in The Netherlands. Have you tried 10 Gulden date run? Maybe are more affordable than other foreign gold coins.

You can choose only one monarch to begin. For example, Willem III, who even rules between 1876 and 1889, were issued guldens only 9 years according Numista page https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces8323.html.

Good luck, my friend!🤗

I did! I forgot to mention those in my initial post. I pick them up when i can! Small beautiful coins and also well available. Just a couple rare dates, I just skip those! ;) 

Just wondering what other people collect for their date runs :) 

Edited by Jvw

Just now, Jvw said:

I did! I forgot to mention those. I pick them up when i can! Small beautiful coins and also well available. Just a couple rare dates, I just skip those! ;)

Just wondering what other people collect for their date runs :) 

The tastes and budgets are like a rainbow.

Even I am buying every month gold, I can not afford gold coins date runs. 

To feed my addiction, I am focusing on silver coinage, US and UK.

1 hour ago, stefffana said:

Because it is fun, keep us busy, we have a clear objective in buying coins we like...

Indeed, sometimes we are paying ridiculous premiums for a rare year or mint, we know exactly that the premium paid will not be ever recovered, but we keep doing this.🤗

The voice I hear is stuttering.

For example, I have already two date runs complete all years and mints for Franklin "Bell" half dollars and now I am building the third one.

Don't ask me why... The voice....

Shussss!

IMG_20220319_092835.jpg

IMG_20220319_092848.jpg

Love this! I love Franklin's - I much prefer these to Walkers.

1 hour ago, stefffana said:

Good luck, my friend!🤗

Believe @DuncanWylieWilson still has one of these in stock

2 minutes ago, geowill989 said:

Believe @DuncanWylieWilson still has one of these in stock

I do indeed! 

Thank you for the tag!

"INDIVIDUAL AMBITION SERVES THE COMMON GOOD." – Adam Smith

⚜️ Sub-Forum https://www.thesilverforum.com/forum/144-wilson-numismatics-uk/

Instagram_logo_2016_svg.png.0244211e338af7f899b5e071b205d306.png Instagram https://www.instagram.com/wilsonnumismatics/

🕸 Website https://worldgold.co.uk

5 hours ago, TheShinyStuff said:

Impressive. That is a pretty serious undertaking. You are obviously way more dedicated than me...😀

6 hours ago, SidS said:

I'm doing this for groat through to crowns issued from 1816-1919. I've already completed crown and double florins. The shillings are close to completion. Half crowns and groats not far behind. The florins and sixpences are miles away. Silver stack and date run t'boot - it's great fun too.

To hell with 3ds though, bloody horrible things.

Another one who thinks this is impressive.  

You will already know this, but for the potential benefit of others:

Shillings: will be quite tough to find 1850, 1854 and 1905 for sensible prices
Florins: 1854, 1862 and 1863 very tough indeed in any grade, 1892, 1905, 1932, 1925, 1891 tough in decent grades

Half Crowns: 1839 almost impossible to find, 1828, 1841, 1903, 1905 pretty tough in any grade, then 1829, 1835, 1837, 1843, 1848 (etc etc) - good luck 😉

This is why I am a type collector rather than a date collector 😄

I'd forget sixpences as well as threepences!

Edited by Stuntman
Edited after realising you are 'only' going to 1919!

Regarding date runs and thinking about modern UK bullion:

Oriental Border Britannias - 3 different ones in 1 oz gold, also in 1 oz silver, from 2018-2020

Royal Arms - can collect these in 1 oz gold, silver and platinum - they started in 2018 I think for gold and silver, and 2020 for platinum

Gold Standard 1/4 oz coins - only about 5 of these to colllect, I think

Lots of good ideas already given for sovereigns.  I'd also add modern bullion double sovereigns, starting from 2020.

11 hours ago, Stuntman said:

Another one who thinks this is impressive.  

You will already know this, but for the potential benefit of others:

Shillings: will be quite tough to find 1850, 1854 and 1905 for sensible prices
Florins: 1854, 1862 and 1863 very tough indeed in any grade, 1892, 1905, 1932, 1925, 1891 tough in decent grades

Half Crowns: 1839 almost impossible to find, 1828, 1841, 1903, 1905 pretty tough in any grade, then 1829, 1835, 1837, 1843, 1848 (etc etc) - good luck 😉

This is why I am a type collector rather than a date collector 😄

I'd forget sixpences as well as threepences!

I know, I keep looking at the sixpences and thinking why. But I've always like tanners.

I think of the shillings I'm only missing the 1850, 1863 iirc.

Anything that's really rare, I'm just going to omit. The florins are so much harder to get than half crowns, that said the 1839 and 1841 half crowns are unseen and 1831 is even harder - there is some dispute as to whether the circulation issue even exists it's that seldom seen. Some catalogues state it's a proof only year, others state it's a thing.

No worry about the 1835 and 1837, got a few of those! Working on £5 face in William IV coinage.

I've come to really love half crowns from 1825-1850 - they're just well designed coins. The 1874+ half crowns are pitiful in comparison.