• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What is a popular coin to collect and complete date runs with?

Jvw

The 2018 10 oz Valiant coin is a fantastic thing, in my opinion.  I have four 10 oz silver coins and the Valiant was the first one that I bought.  

The subsequent Valiant coins are quite nice, but not a patch on the 2018 coin in my opinion.

Gratuitous large silver coin/bar photo!

_20220518_200745.JPG

On 05/08/2022 at 08:12, SidS said:

I know, I keep looking at the sixpences and thinking why. But I've always like tanners.

I think of the shillings I'm only missing the 1850, 1863 iirc.

Anything that's really rare, I'm just going to omit. The florins are so much harder to get than half crowns, that said the 1839 and 1841 half crowns are unseen and 1831 is even harder - there is some dispute as to whether the circulation issue even exists it's that seldom seen. Some catalogues state it's a proof only year, others state it's a thing.

No worry about the 1835 and 1837, got a few of those! Working on £5 face in William IV coinage.

I've come to really love half crowns from 1825-1850 - they're just well designed coins. The 1874+ half crowns are pitiful in comparison.

@SidS - if you're feeling particularly flush, the Colin Cooke online dealers have got an 1841, and also 1831 and 1839 proof halfcrowns for sale currently:

https://colincooke.com/coin_pages/halfcrowns.html

(Lovely coins but loads of money)

And they have a particularly fantastic 1818 halfcrown for sale currently.  I would LOVE that one.

On 06/08/2022 at 11:40, Stuntman said:

@SidS - if you're feeling particularly flush, the Colin Cooke online dealers have got an 1841, and also 1831 and 1839 proof halfcrowns for sale currently:

https://colincooke.com/coin_pages/halfcrowns.html

(Lovely coins but loads of money)

And they have a particularly fantastic 1818 halfcrown for sale currently.  I would LOVE that one.

Colin Cooke have always been a little on the pricy side for me, not that it's unwarranted by any means, they have some phenomenal coins.

I just live in the VF to EF zone though, a bit of wear to be honest, not enough to lose the detail. I'm like Goldilocks... 😁

Edited by SidS

I was quite interested in doing a Good Standard date run but I think the royal mint stopped doing those coins as bullion. Maybe I'm wrong but 2021 was only in proof version? 

For a few years I have been collecting every royal mint 50p, £1, £2 and £5 coin Bunc package. The 2009 Kew Gardens Bunc and 2009 blue Peter Olympic 50p both are quite expensive (250-300 quid each)

The 1/10th gold coin from different mints and the gillick sovereign is what I'm focused on currently 

On 04/08/2022 at 12:55, Petra said:

Sovereign… family birth years? Unfortunately there were no sovereigns at all minted the year I was born!🙁🤡

Some Chinese bloke won't know that and will be knocking out fakes I would reckon!

Been looking for a '72 Krug for literally years, Chinky fake until I snag one!