• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

So, ive just started stacking....

Everyone has their own opinion but for me if investing in physical gold in UK I would say avoid proofs and numismatics and stick to 9999 fine brits and 22ct sovs both very liquid low margin and CGT free.

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

23 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

Do you know what percentage premium you paid for the 1 gram bars, and 2x999 gold coins?

You should know, especially if you are buying as an investment rather than just spending money because you have too much of it. It is the only way to compare value.

What size were the 2x999 gold coins?

I ask because you will almost always pay a higher premium for small sizes.

In general, the more you share the information you already have, the better and more relevant the advice you will receive here on TSF or anywhere, for that matter.

😎

The 2x999 coins i bought are both 1/4oz.

I understand that the smaller i buy, the higher the premium. But thats due to personal finances. Maybe i should save more rather than the little and often approach. But when it comes to selling, arnt the smaller weights an easier sell?

I would have thought the average person with average earnings would struggle with buying 1oz coins/bars in a single hit even if the premium is lower.

Thanks for showing me that you are cheaper than BBP. That is something else ive not done, comparing prices.

41 minutes ago, AaaGee said:

The 2x999 coins i bought are both 1/4oz.

I understand that the smaller i buy, the higher the premium. But thats due to personal finances. Maybe i should save more rather than the little and often approach. But when it comes to selling, arnt the smaller weights an easier sell?

I would have thought the average person with average earnings would struggle with buying 1oz coins/bars in a single hit even if the premium is lower.

Thanks for showing me that you are cheaper than BBP. That is something else ive not done, comparing prices.

I went through the whole scenario of a low budget buyer in details here:

Values are probably slightly off as that was 3 months ago, concepts don't change though.

I did all in Excel, feel free to have a look for yourself with the attached file, all you have to do is input the gold and silver values up top, then navigate a dealer's page and input the current sale prices. Premiums might have changed a bit, but they are more or less in the same range. Or make it even easier and navigate through Chards' website, it's got details for premium on each coin: https://www.chards.co.uk/2022-gold-sovereign-uncirculated-coin/15066 have a nose and see what you like.

Lest we forget, in the end, do whatever make sense to you, if you prefer 1/4oz to a Sovereign, dude, go to town. Do you really like Silver? Go for it. However, if your interest is lower premiums and you can't afford 1oz gold coins, go for the Sovereign.

Gold premiums.xlsx

Edited by LemmyMcGregor

What a helpfull forum!

I'll look at the links you have provided and injest.

I fancy a 2021 1/10 brit next, then will be turning my attention to sovereigns.

Just as a slight subject change (although more on gold purchases definitely welcome), i know that Gold is king but why such a low opinion of silver? I understand that gold is a better investment but with the massive need for silver in the future in EV's and technology, surely the price can only go one way?

Admittedly looking at silver prices over the last 10 years, its a little uninspiring.

16 minutes ago, AaaGee said:

What a helpfull forum!

Just as a slight subject change (although more on gold purchases definitely welcome), i know that Gold is king but why such a low opinion of silver? I understand that gold is a better investment but with the massive need for silver in the future in EV's and technology, surely the price can only go one way?

Admittedly looking at silver prices over the last 10 years, its a little uninspiring.

Someone explained it already.

On 20/07/2022 at 08:40, GoldDiggerDave said:

Honestly silver is really not that much of an investment.....and I know I might upset a few on here by saying that, silver is a gamble not an investment due to the high dealer premiums, vat and postage is an utter killer if buying in small amounts

If you bought a 1oz silver 999 coin today it would cost around £26 for £15.64p worth of silver. in this scenario you would need spot to double to make a small return, 50p for a capsule would equal 10% of your profit if silver doubled so £4.78 profit per oz if spot doubled.  18% ish return is not bad right?    But for this to make any real world impact you need to be sat on kg's of silver then you have to think about storage a decent safe will cost a very large percentage of the silver you can store in side, it's diminishing returns.       

Not trying to put you off buying silver just like I would not put anyone off who wants to buy a lottery ticket, there are too many bozo's on youtube saying silver is a hedge against inflation how?  Someone explain this to me, silver a hedge against inflation when real world inflation is running at 40% over 7 months......sorry folks but I have to call utter BS here.    

Have I got silver? yes of course, got it as it's a cheap way to collect 1oz coins of different designs, and if silver gets to £12-£13 I will be hovering some up, and yes you can make money but it's not an investment and it's most definitely not a long term store of wealth, see the last 10 years below.

I can't stress enough I'm not putting you off silver just trying to open your eyes to the BS buzzwords that are pointblank misguiding people into thinking it's an investment, over paying  debt over the last 10 years is likely to make you better off than holding silver, (of course do your own home work here) 

And the ugly monster in the room

I see a very strange thing with some silver stackers, once they have their stack some are wishing and begging for the economy to collapse as they think it will not only save them make them rich in a SHFT event, this is simply beyond stupid in so many ways I will not go into, but no doubt you have seen these people online......

A sovereign per month or every two months  is a reasonable goal for a store of wealth, and yes buy silver for fun and treat it like buying  lottery tickets for the day it might "got to the moon"  but don't buy it on the back of someone telling you it's an investment or even worse a hedge against inflation. 

Screenshot 2022-07-20 at 08.17.44.png

Screenshot 2022-07-20 at 08.18.23.png

13 minutes ago, LemmyMcGregor said:

Someone explained it already.

Yep, ok point taken.

I'll buy a hand full of silver britts a year and concentrate on the gold👍

Just reading through the thread you linked to. An interesting read.

36 minutes ago, AaaGee said:

What a helpfull forum!

Its all down to personal choice you know and what you like, yeah we all know for investment, gold is so much better than silver but a lot of members on here love silver also, including me... I dont worry about silver that i buy as long as im happy with the price myself i will get it if i want it and have the funds to cover it..

A lot of members will keep bleating about silver Brits being CGT free etc etc but to have to pay CGT on silver you must have been selling a vault load of it unless you bought it 20 years ago..

so for a new invester/stacker for example buying 1oz non-CGT silver coins/bars at lets just say £20.00 each and selling it for £23.00 each you would need to sell 4100 coins/bars to just hit the personal threshold for paying CGT.

So in essence you would be selling £94k worth of silver to hit that threshold. So worrying about CGT free silver is not really on my agenda because my boat sank with all of my silver in it.. 

I buy silver and gold but i like silver and all the designs that come with it, it just needs a bit more care and attention and research into what you are getting yourself into... and of course you can get more for you buck if your budget is low.

Other members slate silver but seriously dont worry about it, its their opinion and always respected and if we all loved the same thing we'd never get what we were after as @James32 has more helpers than santa when listing are put on here... 

The forum is great for finding your path though no matter which way you turn....

Follow the yellow brick road!!!!!! 

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

2 hours ago, AaaGee said:

What a helpfull forum!

Most people here like silver...

But most people here don't like VAT...

Also % premiums are higher on silver, even ex VAT.

Chards

I started my stacking journey around 18 months ago by stacking Silver - 1, 2 or 3 coins at a time - whatever I could afford as a client paid an invoice - to use as a way of saving that meant I couldn't just use it to make a spur of the moment purchase, as turning it back in to cash would take some time & effort.

Not ideal, but that was all the available funds I had - as time has gone by and my business has picked up, I've been lucky enough to afford some Gold too, but the fact that I managed to fill a tube of Silver Brits blew me away - just a few years ago, the thought that I would be able to 'save' around £600 was unthinkable...

We all had to start somewhere (Even @Paul & @James32 😅) - and IMHO, a handful of Silver 1oz coins / bars is better than a handful of nothing... 😏

We can all offer advice to help you make the most of your available funds, but at the end of it all - you do you 👍

On 19/07/2022 at 10:03, AaaGee said:

seems like a bullet proof plan to me but ive had many of those before.

3 hours ago, AaaGee said:

surely the price can only go one way?

Just treat it as a hobby and learn the market you are operating in. My monthly money I allocated to PM's is very low and I am not currently buying but that Money does go somewhere and will end up as silver or gold (depending on what is best value at the time). Also please make up your own mind, don't flip so easy, this means ignoring you tubers and faceless forum posts (including me). People generally tend to be bias towards their own bags.

1 hour ago, Scootermuppet said:

I started my stacking journey around 18 months ago by stacking Silver - 1, 2 or 3 coins at a time - whatever I could afford as a client paid an invoice - to use as a way of saving that meant I couldn't just use it to make a spur of the moment purchase, as turning it back in to cash would take some time & effort.

Not ideal, but that was all the available funds I had - as time has gone by and my business has picked up, I've been lucky enough to afford some Gold too, but the fact that I managed to fill a tube of Silver Brits blew me away - just a few years ago, the thought that I would be able to 'save' around £600 was unthinkable...

We all had to start somewhere (Even @Paul & @James32 😅) - and IMHO, a handful of Silver 1oz coins / bars is better than a handful of nothing... 😏

We can all offer advice to help you make the most of your available funds, but at the end of it all - you do you 👍

Luxury!

I had to start out stacking old pennies.

1873VictoriaPennyReverseCrop.thumb.jpg.742ea787a0e8595b394f8a8c5c4456a9.jpg

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

13 minutes ago, Gordy said:

yeah but that was still in circulation when you were a kid!!!!!! 😂

When he had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before he went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when he got home, his Dad and his mother would kill him and dance about on his graves singing Hallelujah

12 minutes ago, Darr3nG said:

When he had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before he went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when he got home, his Dad and his mother would kill him and dance about on his graves singing Hallelujah

Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work at the mill every day for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY!

5 minutes ago, Paul said:

Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work at the mill every day for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY!

…. And you tell that to the kids today, and they don’t believe you.

5 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

If this was the magic bean forum I'd be saying be wary of buying magic beans. 

....and those magic beans could become a giant plant that enables you to climb to the top and reach those golden eggs ! 🤗

But I wouldn't say to people to go all in on the magic beans ! 😁

Anyone who states that silver will make a loss because of the premium and VAT is being, at best, disingenuous. No-one sells silver coins at spot. Look on any forum / dealer website or Ebay to see the actual selling prices of modern silver coins. Prices will fluctuate depending on the intrinsic value of the metal but there will always be a premium involved when buying any manufactured goods. The premium on silver is generally higher than on gold - meaning silver is not as reliant on spot price manipulation movement....

Imagine both gold and silver prices plummeted 50% tomorrow - the higher premium on silver coins would act as a buffer. The gold coins trading at spot would be worth half of what they are today.

Admittedly my attitude to gold/silver is based on a collector, rather than stacker, mentality. I never 'invest' in modern silver/gold coins unless i will actually enjoy owning them. Making an (eventual) profit is the aim but it's not my primary motivation... Knowing my luck i'll keel-over and my coins will get sold by family to a dealer for pennies with the resounding epitaph of 'there's no demand for that sort of stuff these days'......