• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

New Royal Mint Bullion

4 minutes ago, Petra said:

2024 sovereign now out! Those of you with deep pockets can get yourself a proof double or proof five as part of the sets! 1250 individual half, 7500 single😮🤔

Is this a very low number for the proof half sovereign? Looks like a total mintage of these of only 2710.

5 coin set £275 cheaper from Crawley Coins

https://crawleycoins.co.uk/product/2024-sovereign-five-coin-proof-set/

I have ordered from them before, good seller.

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

2 minutes ago, Muncle said:

Is this a very low number for the proof half sovereign? Looks like a total mintage of these of only 2710.

Not sure, but sure the bullion ones will look just as nice in my safe!😮

38 minutes ago, Petra said:

2024 sovereign now out! Those of you with deep pockets can get yourself a proof double or proof five as part of the sets! 1250 individual half, 7500 single😮🤔

Got excited for a moment! This is the bullion thread 🤣

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Alz111 said:

Never bought these are they a good investment ? 

Investment wise, probably not. The premium is sky high and there's VAT to pay for. But the mini silver don't appear so often, and some may find them very fancy items to hold.

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, SheepStacker said:

Seems like Royal Mint never fail to find a reason for an "ultra limited unicorn special edition" these days.

If the 2024 proof sovereign is the normal design, I'd be surprised if the bullion release is any different. Has there ever been a difference like that before?

Normal G&D with uncrowned portrait as far as I know, exactly the same as the proof version. Should be that going forward for a little while at least.

Technically you could say it's the first normal Sovereign for Charles III, and no doubt RM's marketing department will, but that's about as special as it gets.

17 hours ago, MBTPSilver said:

Normal G&D with uncrowned portrait as far as I know, exactly the same as the proof version. Should be that going forward for a little while at least.

Technically you could say it's the first normal Sovereign for Charles III, and no doubt RM's marketing department will, but that's about as special as it gets.

Technically the first 'normal sovereign' is the 75th birthday BU sovereign.  Uncrowned head with George and the dragon reverse with a 2023 date.

RM are selling the 2024 proof as first time that combination has been on a proof.  Presume they'll try and market it the same on the bullion.

20 hours ago, paulmerton said:

If the 2024 proof sovereign is the normal design, I'd be surprised if the bullion release is any different. Has there ever been a difference like that before?

Had my first ever unsolicited phone call yesterday from the RM - a lovely sounding Welsh female called ‘Angela’ asking if I was interested in buying an “uncrowned bullion sovereign with free postage!”  I was so surprised, forgot to ask ‘how much?’…….☹️

4 hours ago, Olivard said:

Technically the first 'normal sovereign' is the 75th birthday BU sovereign.  Uncrowned head with George and the dragon reverse with a 2023 date.

RM are selling the 2024 proof as first time that combination has been on a proof.  Presume they'll try and market it the same on the bullion.

Exactly this! ☝🏽 The finish is secondary to the obverse-reverse combination (imo).

4 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Exactly this! ☝🏽 The finish is secondary to the obverse-reverse combination (imo).

I think the SOTD is a special case as it's not just about the frosted finish - it has a plain edge instead of a milled one. Far from normal imho!

Edited by paulmerton

1 hour ago, paulmerton said:

I think the SOTD is a special case as it's not just about the frosted finish - it has a plain edge instead of a milled one. Far from normal imho!

To my mind normal is the definitive head obverse plus George and the Dragon reverse and it's irrelevant whether it is a proof, special BU or bullion. But everyone has their own opinion....

1 minute ago, Olivard said:

To my mind normal is the definitive head obverse plus George and the Dragon reverse and it's irrelevant whether it is a proof, special BU or bullion. But everyone has their own opinion....

Indeed, the world would be a boring place if we all thought the same thing. We'd all have the same coins too!

Fair point @paulmerton

To clarify, I see the obverse-reverse combination as the main distinction.

Everything else (edge, finish, etc.) I consider a ”variety”.

Just like die numbers are a variety of the Victorian shield backs, small head / large head are varieties of the George V Sovereigns, the legend (continuous / broken) is sometimes varied, and so on.

I think @Olivard sees things the same way.

But of course, as you say, there’s no definitive rule here, so a bit of room for subjectivity. 🙂