• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

New Royal Mint Bullion

4 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

I'm confused.  The RM released some Una & The Lion bullion bars in 2021 as part of the Great Engravers series.  Why is there any need for any more?  I'd far rather they released an Una & The Lion bullion coin...

Is there any need for RM to make money? Yes!

5 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

I'm confused.  The RM released some Una & The Lion bullion bars in 2021 as part of the Great Engravers series.  Why is there any need for any more?  I'd far rather they released an Una & The Lion bullion coin...

Won’t be buying the silver version! Not paying a premium for any silver from RM until quality issues are resolved. Hopefully that do a smallish gold version. Maybe 5 or 10g would be good!

Thing is the RM churns out new pieces all the time and it feels like there is a new release or special every 1 or 2 weeks!

Being new to collecting I’m wondering if it’s always like this!?

feels like the exclusivity/collectability of pieces get diminished somewhat 

Interesting, thanks.

Given the drawings that they had previously shared, I wondered whether it would be a horizontal design, rather than a vertical design like the other RM minted bars.  

It's quite a nice design but it doesn't scream 'Buy me' - in my opinion anyway.   

8 hours ago, Stuntman said:

I wish they just made these as bullion coins instead.

As long as they wouldn’t call it “Una and the Lion”.

Seriously… any design with a woman and a lion doesn’t make it Una and the Lion, just as any quartered arms coin isn’t a Gothic Crown. 😠

I liked the original bar they did of this, not sure about this as a concept though.

May just be the picture quality but the una looks like a male wizard rather than a regal queen.

On 02/02/2024 at 15:13, ak74 said:

IMG_20240202_135405.jpg

IMG_20240202_135342.jpg

The drawing is so beautiful but the design on the bar is horrible. The face of Una is like a bodybuilder on steroids and the Lion seems like missing its lower jaw.. similar with the bad face they gave to proof Britannias in 2023.. i hope they fix this and make it as the drawing..

Edited by foinikas

8 hours ago, SilverPlatinum said:

Thanks, but how you got those images? Could not see those on the website......

8 hours ago, paulmerton said:

The background and holders make me think this was possibly on display at the mint?

I believe this is from World Money Fair which is happening Feb 2 to 4 in Germany.

8 hours ago, westminstrel said:

I believe this is from World Money Fair which is happening Feb 2 to 4 in Germany.

Ah yeah, that makes sense! I've seen lots of shiny 2024-dated 1p coins from that event which is equally alluring to me in a bizarre way 🤣

https://www.royalmint.com/myths-and-legends/bullion-range/register-your-interest-beowulf/

The longest surviving poem written in Old English, Beowulf and its titular character will soon feature on a new bullion coin range. Beowulf blends mythology with history to tell the tale of a legendary warrior king that has become a British legend.

1 hour ago, paulmerton said:

https://www.royalmint.com/myths-and-legends/bullion-range/register-your-interest-beowulf/

The longest surviving poem written in Old English, Beowulf and its titular character will soon feature on a new bullion coin range. Beowulf blends mythology with history to tell the tale of a legendary warrior king that has become a British legend.

Oooh…

19 hours ago, apachebleu said:

The more I look at the una and the lion the worse it gets! What a terrible design. That face is a mess, looks like it has been melted!

The una bar they did a few years ago was a stunner, this is garbage and I suspect the rest of the range will be the same

I will reiterate until everyone gets tired of me doing so… it’s a travesty to use the iconic ‘Una and the Lion’ descriptor for some random depiction of a woman with a lion.

5 hours ago, westminstrel said:

I will reiterate until everyone gets tired of me doing so… it’s a travesty to use the iconic ‘Una and the Lion’ descriptor for some random depiction of a woman with a lion.

I'm not convinced that is a woman on that bar.

That aside you are correct, hopefully they will sell about 6 of these ugly things and forget about the idea of a series

6 hours ago, TeaTime said:

Well.... It is a lion and it is a depiction of Una so the description seems accurate 😁.

I get you on some level… but what makes the woman a depiction of Una besides the fact the RM says it is?

Rhetorical question. 🙂

When William Wyon did the original, he did so to honour the young Queen Victoria (who had ascended the throne at the age of 18) by drawing upon the ideas from the Faerie Queene by Edmund Spencer - Una (a young Queen Victoria) leading a mighty lion (the UK).

Una and the Lion as depicted on a coin is filled with deep meaning, and imo ‘belongs’ to Queen Victoria.

Hence my continuous wondering as to what makes any random woman ‘Una’.

Britannia on the other hand has always been symbolic of the UK itself so I can understand its design ‘evolving’ (for better or for worse).