• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Reinventing The Royal Mint - Anne Jessopp, CEO

Insights into what customers can expect from the Royal Mint in the near future. After listening to the recording, here is my summary and initial impressions. What do you think?

• People are using less physical coins, more cashless transactions
  • RM’s circulating currency arm, which was the mainstay of their business, is growing smaller (less profitable)
  • RM is growing/exploring opportunities in other areas, e.g. commemorative coins, visitor/tourist attraction, gold recycling  from e-waste, precious metals. A new offer scheduled to be launched in Dec 2021.
  • RM is committed at preserving the 'Britishness' of their products, while expanding D&I (Diversity & Inclusion) offers and themes (dinosaurs, movies, storybook characters) which attract kids/young collectors
  • Focus on reducing their carbon footprint, increasing use of renewables, optimizing product packaging
  • Anticipate increase in international ventures / tie-ups

For me as a newbie coin collector/investor, this is what I think I can expect from RM.

• more commemorative coins with varying themes to appeal to a wider customer base. So I have to be more selective in picking potential ‘winners’
  • eco-packaging will potentially be introduced. Good for the environment, but expect a much simplified 'box' (see example from the Royal Australian Mint)
  • new offers in the RM pipeline, e.g. enhanced collector services, auctions, international collaborations

2021 RAM eco-Packaging.jpg

2022 Year of the Tiger 01.jpeg

Edited by Ashwin
optimize font size

I just hope they don't go down the same road as the Royal Canadian Mint when it comes to commemoratives. The RCM releases so many different items I think its become hard to take them seriously which is a shame since some of the releases are very, very nice. The Royal Mint with its history really needs to hang on to its image of perceived quality and heritage. It would be a shame to see that reduced to the production of trinket items purely to pad out the balance sheets.

As I'm sure all of us who have bought coins from the RM and sent them back will agree they really need to focus on their quality before anything else. Again I think their history and heritage means they have a good reputation throughout the world however that won't last if people keep having bad experiences.

59 minutes ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

I just hope they don't go down the same road as the Royal Canadian Mint when it comes to commemoratives. The RCM releases so many different items I think its become hard to take them seriously which is a shame since some of the releases are very, very nice. The Royal Mint with its history really needs to hang on to its image of perceived quality and heritage. It would be a shame to see that reduced to the production of trinket items purely to pad out the balance sheets.

As I'm sure all of us who have bought coins from the RM and sent them back will agree they really need to focus on their quality before anything else. Again I think their history and heritage means they have a good reputation throughout the world however that won't last if people keep having bad experiences.

I mostly agree.

At the moment I do think at least half, maybe up to 75% of what the RM releases doesn't interest me much. 

However they still do some very collectable coins (for my taste) and those don't come around that regularly. 

Some of it I am on the fence about, but I am still confident they will continue releasing those special coins, amongst everything else which is still keeping me interested.

I wonder if they're looking at the ESG ratings and acting accordingly. More legislative bullcrap that fills the pockets of some and does little of what it is claims to achieve.

Maybe they'll issue a 'Gender Fluidity' coin, whereby you flick it and whichever side it lands on will be your "gender" for the day. Although thinking about it unless they come up with a 72 sided coin that's just a silly idea.

It’s bit tricky to eco up the process of mining precious metals, where you trash acres of countryside with huge diesel burning machines to get 0.000 (insert extra 0’s) 1% of useful stuff.  Then cart it all over the world , burn loads more gas type stuff to melt it, make,it shiny and into nice shapes.   Then cart it around the world a bit more so people can buy it then keep it in a safe .  Still a bamboo box will make all the difference