• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1849 "Godless" Victoria florin goes for £1000

AgAuEire

Graded NGC MS64, this florin sold for £1k plus 20% buyers fee at auction yesterday.  This seems a huge amount to me, any thoughts?

https://auctions.thecoinery.co.uk/catalogue/lot/7e74b5ad179e01082827783d90790b1f/81b29ab6fa187a02a829c1899b734425/auction-6-coins-related-numismatic-items-lot-45/

Lot 45

1 hour ago, Happypanda88 said:

Yes, I wish I had one to sell !  😊

X2....

I see that yesterday too...and can't believe it, as usually an aEF priced at around GBP200.

Edited by Bruce06

Mines seen a fair bit more action that that one! 😂 Still very glad i never sent it for melt though. Much as i have sometimes been tempted to sometimes, i have resisted the urge to give it a clean! I didn't realise these could be so valuable, although i'd wager this one would grade a fair bit lower than MS64.
723120778_Florin1.thumb.jpg.2185d3328e1e1121efc87e93e653531e.jpg283047194_Florin2.thumb.jpg.f161e79e128ca0ed18280e3932990ef2.jpg

Is that coin really MS64?

Of course the weakness could be strike related, but there does look to be wear on the higher points of the crown and the hair.

Not to mention the raised line (perhaps die flaw) between the beading near the base.

I've seen better Godless florins to be honest.

Edited by SidS

There's probably quite a few nice condition godless florins out there because of how many were made back in 1849 and the metal it was made out of. 

It's always going to be a popular coin because of the Queen Victoria portrait and the history but no way is it a coin worth four figures.

Most likely two people going mad at the auction and the NGC population census not accurately reflecting the real world volumes of the coin out in the wild.

3 hours ago, GBStacking said:

Mines seen a fair bit more action that that one! 😂 Still very glad i never sent it for melt though. Much as i have sometimes been tempted to sometimes, i have resisted the urge to give it a clean! I didn't realise these could be so valuable, although i'd wager this one would grade a fair bit lower than MS64.
723120778_Florin1.thumb.jpg.2185d3328e1e1121efc87e93e653531e.jpg283047194_Florin2.thumb.jpg.f161e79e128ca0ed18280e3932990ef2.jpg

Mine too, hence why I was astounded by the price.

20210720_131536.thumb.jpg.f325c2ec3d0a82793b70c6572acd3db4.jpg20210720_131617.thumb.jpg.b4fcfb809c67c0ebc8acd41d82aee86a.jpg

I was talking about two bobs the other day and mentioned that it's about time someone minted a series of one ounce coins depicting the various florins put into circulation.... Historically the florin always seemed to have the best designs.

1 hour ago, dicker said:

@AgD A good price and a very honest coin for the money.  

Just been having a look round at them now and can't even believe how much some go for in very slick condition.

I'm glad I pulled the trigger at the time for that one.

3 hours ago, TeaTime said:

I was talking about two bobs the other day and mentioned that it's about time someone minted a series of one ounce coins depicting the various florins put into circulation.... Historically the florin always seemed to have the best designs.

Yes, Gothic Florin and Standing Britannia, both are very good.

8 hours ago, Bruce06 said:

Yes, Gothic Florin and Standing Britannia, both are very good.

I also like the George VI florin reverse, the rose in the centre has some real depth to it.

The Elizabeth II design though is somewhat lack-lustre.

6 hours ago, SidS said:

I also like the George VI florin reverse, the rose in the centre has some real depth to it.

The Elizabeth II design though is somewhat lack-lustre.

Agree, designs of Elizabeth series in my opinion are with much less details and low relief.

2 minutes ago, Bruce06 said:

Agree, designs of Elizabeth series in my opinion are with much less details and low relief.

This exactly, it's not that any of the designs are bad, just flat. The 1953 obverse portrait typifies this lack of definition.

2 minutes ago, SidS said:

This exactly, it's not that any of the designs are bad, just flat. The 1953 obverse portrait typifies this lack of definition.

Especially those halfcrown, i can't see clearly faces of lions on reverse.

I would  have seen it,as a slightly lesser grade, however that is just going by the pictures so wouldn't be 100% with this.

I don't think it would have made the price outside the Slab.

The edge knocks by the "ONE TENTH" and the  other scrapes especially in the fields below 1849  would have also detracted more from the grade.

If you look at PCGS 35375982 (I can't load the pictures for some reason) there is a definite difference within the grades, however this is just my own personal view. 

I would say however that with the Obverse die being in a terminal state, you could hunt out the various stages of this pairing.  

Edited by Wampum
stupidity

That's a mad amount of money for a Godless Florin of that quality in my opinion.

I have two: one that I think I overpaid for back in 2015 and another in higher grade that I bought in 2019.  At some point I will offload my spare.  Perhaps if they all attract mad money now, I will be quids in!

I have 1 with ww obliterated, and always looking for another example with normal ww but with no urgency.  However, if the price continues to go up, i think i will give up n cash in mine as well.  Let's see how it is done in upcoming auctions.