• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The future of silver, VAT and import charges into the UK now a Deal has been done!?

I bought some printing from poland last week. They wanted my number thing from the HMRC, fine. 

Then the courier required a VAT number as I am business!
I am not VAT registered as I deal with private clients & dont buy goods. 
Flipping ridiculous really as so many people are also in the same boat. 

The printer changed it to personal in the end after suggesting I borrow a VAT number from a friend. ;)
I dont know anyone, and surely thats fraud isnt it? 

2 minutes ago, Stacktastic said:

I bought some printing from poland last week. They wanted my number thing from the HMRC, fine. 

Then the courier required a VAT number as I am business!
I am not VAT registered as I deal with private clients & dont buy goods. 
Flipping ridiculous really as so many people are also in the same boat. 

The printer changed it to personal in the end after suggesting I borrow a VAT number from a friend. ;)
I dont know anyone, and surely thats fraud isnt it? 

Sounds grim! 

It's going to get worse when the EU finally get round to implementing this on their side as well (they still haven't found the time to sign off the Brexit deal yet!!!).  I forget when it's due in the EU but I think I heard that it'll be later this year or early next.  It's a protection racket ultimately.  It's designed to raise the bar on small foreign businesses doing business inside the common market, without it actually being a tariff which would draw condemnation.  It's better described as a trade deterrent instead which of course flies under the radar whilst achieving a similar outcome.  Possibly it will achieve more internal spending inside the EU bloc as a whole, but the UK is much smaller and as such its wholly unsuitable for the UK to be actively deterring small foreign imports through red tape.  I strongly suspect that the agreement over this regulatory alignment with the EU (not even present ffs!!!) is more about doing damage to the UK than protecting themselves.  A bit of both possibly.  

In my opinion this government has has failed us miserably.  It has been the worst in my lifetime.

New profile pic to support the current thing, because it's current year.

19 minutes ago, silversky said:

Sounds grim! 

It's going to get worse when the EU finally get round to implementing this on their side as well (they still haven't found the time to sign off the Brexit deal yet!!!).  I forget when it's due in the EU but I think I heard that it'll be later this year or early next.  It's a protection racket ultimately.  It's designed to raise the bar on small foreign businesses doing business inside the common market, without it actually being a tariff which would draw condemnation.  It's better described as a trade deterrent instead which of course flies under the radar whilst achieving a similar outcome.  Possibly it will achieve more internal spending inside the EU bloc as a whole, but the UK is much smaller and as such its wholly unsuitable for the UK to be actively deterring small foreign imports through red tape.  I strongly suspect that the agreement over this regulatory alignment with the EU (not even present ffs!!!) is more about doing damage to the UK than protecting themselves.  A bit of both possibly.  

In my opinion this government has has failed us miserably.  It has been the worst in my lifetime.

Im lucky as I can send stuff to Poland (mother in laws) and then have it brought by a man with a van in a suit case for £20. ;)
we do it quite a bit with just clothes and stuff like that, so thats one way to get around it. Might try it with a tube of Brits LOL. 

On 12/01/2021 at 11:14, savoyard said:

TL/TR: yes, the party is over.

The party is not over yet. Wait for the afterparty. Buy a second home in the EU and buy your silver and post it there. Go and spend your holidays there and when you travel back to the UK you bring your silver with you.

Edited by juansanto7

34 minutes ago, juansanto7 said:

The party is not over yet. Wait for the afterparty. Buy a second home in the EU and buy your silver and post it there. Go and spend your holidays there and when you travel back to the UK you bring your silver with you.

I would not advise that.  Arriving at a port of entry as a traveller allows you an allowance of only £390 total value for your accompanied personal possessions free of duty or VAT. 

If you plan on moving home internationally, this will also not allow you to declare bullion as a household possession (such as furniture, tv's, fridges etc.) to avoid paying tax on it.  It will not be classed as a monetary instrument that you can declare either.  It will be classed as commercial goods and taxed.  If you are searched and found with commercial goods you will be charged as a smuggler.

The only solution is for the UK government to abolish unreasonable VAT on legal tender.  Unfortunately, now that the government is short of cash from all this recent spending, there is next to no chance of it.

If you've gone to the trouble of purchasing property in the EU, then it would be better to keep your physical silver there.  Period.

@NomadicBacon

Interesting read, thanks for this. 

The best thing I found on my trawls, although from 2013 and more in regards to parcels was the below email to someone:

complaintsteamwales@hmce.gsi.gov.uk

Sent: 17 May 2013 13:53:21

To: (name removed)@hotmail.co.uk

Dear Mr (name removed)

To clarify my earlier e-mail regarding the VAT applicable on the import

of coins from the Channel Islands or from outside the EU.

Coins which are of numismatic interest are classed as collectors' items.

Such items are classified within the harmonised system with commodity

code 9705 00 00 00.

The effective VAT applicable to these coins at import is 5%.

I would class coins as of numismatic interest where they are traded at a

value greater than the face-value as legal tender with the price

dependant on factors such as condition and year of manufacture amongst

others things.

Coins such the Britannia Silver Coin, Canadian Silver Maple Leaf and US

Silver Eagle Coin recently imported by you are collectors' pieces and as

such VAT at import would be 5%

Apologies if this information was unclear in my earlier email

Regards

On 18/03/2021 at 17:14, TringSilver said:

@NomadicBacon

Interesting read, thanks for this. 

The best thing I found on my trawls, although from 2013 and more in regards to parcels was the below email to someone:

complaintsteamwales@hmce.gsi.gov.uk

Sent: 17 May 2013 13:53:21

To: (name removed)@hotmail.co.uk

Dear Mr (name removed)

To clarify my earlier e-mail regarding the VAT applicable on the import

of coins from the Channel Islands or from outside the EU.

Coins which are of numismatic interest are classed as collectors' items.

Such items are classified within the harmonised system with commodity

code 9705 00 00 00.

The effective VAT applicable to these coins at import is 5%.

I would class coins as of numismatic interest where they are traded at a

value greater than the face-value as legal tender with the price

dependant on factors such as condition and year of manufacture amongst

others things.

Coins such the Britannia Silver Coin, Canadian Silver Maple Leaf and US

Silver Eagle Coin recently imported by you are collectors' pieces and as

such VAT at import would be 5%

Apologies if this information was unclear in my earlier email

Regards

Numisatic interest is a subjective description. The classification 7118900000 was given to me by HMRC following a similar correspondence and also their classification advice service. You can see why: 

It includes:  precious metals, metals and coins - both of which apply. This is a matter of fact. Numismatic interest is also a subjective description and we do not have the full information as to whether these are regular Britannias, or there is some facet such as the strike type, year, rarity that led your pieces to be classed as of numismatic interest. One senses that the HMRC person is looking at say "One of those 50p coins that sells for £40" where the value is driven by the numismatic interest, versus the value provided by the intrinsic value, i.e. a britannia that is worth say 10% above spot is not of numismatic interest, and yet one that is worth 100% above spot may well be.

If true though, you could argue that there are now three possible rates. 0%, 5% and 20% to tease out. I am more comfortable with HMRC when dealing with facts rather than subjective views, as I know that my view is irrelevant, its the view my customs officer is holding in his head at that moment that matters and once formed, no amount of reasoning will shift it.

Oddly, another oddity cropped up this week. I am in Saudi at the moment, and they have a coin called the Saudi Guinea that is identical in specification to the British Sovereign. I was going to pick up a few, and then I discovered that in the last couple of years, they've not only introduced VAT, here but gone from 5% to 15% and it applies to gold.  I won't be rushing to buy those. If only I could visit Dubai.

Edited by NomadicBacon

On 13/03/2021 at 18:08, silversky said:

I would not advise that.  Arriving at a port of entry as a traveller allows you an allowance of only £390 total value for your accompanied personal possessions free of duty or VAT. 

If you plan on moving home internationally, this will also not allow you to declare bullion as a household possession (such as furniture, tv's, fridges etc.) to avoid paying tax on it.  It will not be classed as a monetary instrument that you can declare either.  It will be classed as commercial goods and taxed.  If you are searched and found with commercial goods you will be charged as a smuggler.

The only solution is for the UK government to abolish unreasonable VAT on legal tender.  Unfortunately, now that the government is short of cash from all this recent spending, there is next to no chance of it.

If you've gone to the trouble of purchasing property in the EU, then it would be better to keep your physical silver there.  Period.

If you move your residence from one country to another, you are not subject to VAT on your personal effects. The method of moving your goods requires completion of the TOR01 HMRC form, which includes very light reporting too. The main restrictions are "You must pay VAT on new goods, or goods that are less than 6 months old, and pledge not to sell them for 12 months". Point being, depending on how long you've been abroad and why, there are some ways to move it to the UK.  The rules regarding residence are set out in the HMRC Statutory Residence Tests (SRT).  Maybe a year in provence could prove profitable.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/01/2021 at 08:46, Connor said:

I know there are a few big hitters on here. Lawrence chard, baird mint, etc. Between them and the silver forum, is it out of scope to start petitioning government on this? I'm sure if each respective website (here, atkinsons, chard's, BYB etc) all had a link to sign a petition it would get some movement? Or is this a bit of a whacky idea?

IF you really want to, it already exists; just happened to notice it posted elsewhere online.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/575122

2 hours ago, TommyTwoShots said:

Only 85 people in the UK care about silver! Amazing 

Or look at it another way, do YOU want to sign a petition telling government agencies by your confirmed NAME and email address about YOUR “interest” in Silver 😉

Which is why I put in bold IF! My names not on that list, just thought I’d highlight that a petition already exists. To be fair, the day I put it up on TSF it was around 68, so I consider that doing my bit 😂

Exactly - looking at what has been happening this year, especially with the freedom of speech & out in the open control of a lot of tech companies (FB and YT especially), keeping a low profile is a very savvy thing going forward (not to mention protecting online movements). Signing a petition is like doing a naked truffle shuffle on top of the WW2 trenches midday - "hey government I think this stick me on that list for the rest of my life". Im even not really wanting to do this census thing, but I feel I would attract more attention if I dont (I had a girl at my door telling me I am breaking the law today). 

Edited by Stacktastic

11 minutes ago, Stacktastic said:

Exactly - looking at what has been happening this year, especially with the freedom of speech & out in the open control of a lot of tech companies (FB and YT especially), keeping a low profile is a very savvy thing going forward (not to mention protecting online movements). Signing a petition is like doing a naked truffle shuffle on top of the WW2 trenches midday - "hey government I think this stick me on that list for the rest of my life". Im even not really wanting to do this census thing, but I feel I would attract more attention if I dont (I had a girl at my door telling me I am breaking the law today). 

Which law , civil or criminal !?   😉

22 minutes ago, ZigZag said:

Or look at it another way, do YOU want to sign a petition telling government agencies by your confirmed NAME and email address about YOUR “interest” in Silver 😉

Which is why I put in bold IF! My names not on that list, just thought I’d highlight that a petition already exists. To be fair, the day I put it up on TSF it was around 68, so I consider that doing my bit 😂

What silver? I lost mine in a boating accident last year 😔

1 minute ago, Derv said:

Which law , civil or criminal !?   😉

Dont know really I have not looked into it, but I had a women saying the same thing the last time they did it. 
Im wondering if they will prosecute, especially as they dont know my name? 

Gonna look tomorrow & ignore the chavvy TV licence type people and look at how the data is used mainly. 

15 minutes ago, Stacktastic said:

Oh I live in a house of non binary Jedi 

11 minutes ago, Martlet said:

Criminal. 

Just complete the census, its no big deal, the authorities know all about you in a day if you ever become a person of interest.

You'll be saying that smartphones know more about us than the census ever will too next 😁

36 minutes ago, Martlet said:

Criminal. 

Just complete the census, its no big deal, the authorities know all about you in a day if you ever become a person of interest.

A crime not to answer a question , jeezo what next

I can't remember being prosecuted last time. I must check my rap' sheet...

Just now, Derv said:

A crime not to answer a question , jeezo what next

I can't remember being prosecuted last time. I must check my rap' sheets...

57 minutes ago, Stacktastic said:

Dont know really I have not looked into it, but I had a women saying the same thing the last time they did it. 
Im wondering if they will prosecute, especially as they dont know my name? 

Gonna look tomorrow & ignore the chavvy TV licence type people and look at how the data is used mainly. 

If you don't want to answer it , don't . I personally don't see it as a crime. What contract do you have with them other than being a citizen , none. No contract - return to sender. 

If I remember correct they were pretty full on the last time around, 10 yrs ago. It wouldn't surprise me if there even worse now in terms of trying to force compliance.  Data is the big ticket after all 

Can someone help me understand this please? So if I order silver coins from EU lets say £150 worth and the shipping is £15, will I pay £30 VAT or £33 VAT. Also will there be extra charges from the post office/DHL etc. for handling this for me? 

I've always found HMRC's regs confusing and it's been a long time since I've ordered internationally 

Also if it's gold do I ever pay any charges? 

A

Has anyone actually tried ordering under the new regulations? 

Edited by TutoredSoup232

5 minutes ago, TutoredSoup232 said:

Can someone help me understand this please? So if I order silver coins from EU lets say £150 worth and the shipping is £15, will I pay £30 VAT or £33 VAT. Also will there be extra charges from the post office/DHL etc. for handling this for me? 

I've always found HMRC's regs confusing and it's been a long time since I've ordered internationally 

Also if it's gold do I ever pay any charges? 

£33

I'm not sure what the fee will be to be honest.  Previously the courier would charge the fee on small value items because unless customs wanted to open them they would make the assessment themselves based on the paperwork and collect the money.  Royal mail traditionally charged £8 for this on top of the duty/vat etc.  But above £135 I don't know if they are still charging just the £8 or how it's worked out.  Fedex charges a little more from memory but they deliver it straight away with their bill attached.  You then pay online rather than having to wait a week for the post office to notify you that it's arrived and go in person to make payment.