• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I want to show.....

1 hour ago, modofantasma said:

Lovely coins those. They look a bit too nice for my stack. Can you imagine the uproar when I broke them out of the plastic and started mauling them with dirty hands?

You know you want it . . .

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

12 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:

You know you want it . . .

Allgold is selling an 1838. Not too sure but judging from their picture every letter on the obverse is double struck. If anyone is interested...

https://www.allgoldcoins.co.uk/collections/queen-victoria-shield-reverse-sovereigns-1838-1887/products/1838-queen-victoria-shield-reverse-sovereign-very-rare-high-grade

Edit: I'd very much like to see it bought because it's been tempting me for a while

Edited by SeverinDigsSovereigns

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

12 hours ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

Allgold is selling an 1838. Not too sure but judging from their picture every letter on the obverse is double struck. If anyone is interested...

https://www.allgoldcoins.co.uk/collections/queen-victoria-shield-reverse-sovereigns-1838-1887/products/1838-queen-victoria-shield-reverse-sovereign-very-rare-high-grade

Edit: I'd very much like to see it bought because it's been tempting me for a while

Treat yourself.  Very rarely seen in this condition.  

1 minute ago, AaaGee said:

Everything i have. Rung every gram i have out of my stack for this picture. Been an expensive year this year. Beans on toast for the foreseable. On the plus side ive only got £800 to put in to reach where i want to be by the end of 2024 so all being well should fly past that total (touch wood).

20231126_174520.thumb.jpg.99d32461e001819905d51e44a29826da.jpg

Beautiful sight!

You say expensive, but now count it all up and smile at what you have saved. Would you have saved that amount in cash? Be honest?

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

7 minutes ago, AaaGee said:

Everything i have. Rung every gram i have out of my stack for this picture. Been an expensive year this year. Beans on toast for the foreseable. On the plus side ive only got £800 to put in to reach where i want to be by the end of 2024 so all being well should fly past that total (touch wood).

On the occasion that I actually access all my gold (from storage) I do like to take it out of the tubes and put it in a bit of a random pile for a bit so it feels more like "treasure" :)

Edited by Anteater

3 minutes ago, James32 said:

Beautiful sight!

You say expensive, but now count it all up and smile at what you have saved. Would you have saved that amount in cash? Be honest?

Thanks. Id have nothing in the bank, i never have. A fool and his money and all that. This way i spend and turn it into something worthwhile. Thanks for the help along the way 👌

5 minutes ago, AaaGee said:

20231126_174520.thumb.jpg.99d32461e001819905d51e44a29826da.jpg

I agree with @James32 beautiful and well worth the investment. I reakon you and James were the type of kids with lego all over the floor, him slightly more messy😉💖!!!

2 minutes ago, Anteater said:

On the occasion that I actually access all my gold (from storage) I do like to take it out of the tubes and put it in a bit of a random pile for a bit so it feels more like "treasure" :)

That's what that picture was all about.

10 minutes ago, Anteater said:

I feel the same sometimes. It's a real high buying some lovely gold, then feels like a bit of an anticlimax when you leave it in the SDB. But I suppose it's better than sweating about being robbed!

10 minutes ago, TheShinyStuff said:

I feel the same sometimes. It's a real high buying some lovely gold, then feels like a bit of an anticlimax when you leave it in the SDB. But I suppose it's better than sweating about being robbed!

That's one of my reasons for having silver. Some of that is also in storage, but I have a few bits in the house to play with, without worrying about it quite so much.

2 hours ago, Anteater said:

That's one of my reasons for having silver. Some of that is also in storage, but I have a few bits in the house to play with, without worrying about it quite so much.

Likewise, silver at home for fun, gold tucked away nice and safe! I also find silver much more appealing on the eye, so win/win!

On 29/11/2023 at 23:29, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

Not my coins but came across these when I did a bit of research on the 1902. These coins are notoriously vulnerable and typically receive very low grades. This is why these are so extraordinary.

I first saw the £1 sold by Jon Blyth, he sells some very top grade coins (not sure if he uses this forum but I need to credit him). I tried the submission number and found the rest of the set. The £5  received a 67 at NGC. The highest PCGS graded was 66, and then there are only 64. £1 at 68, and anything else is 66 or below. 

Felt I ought to share these because the 1902 matt sovereigns aren't discussed much. Their mintages are much higher than any other large sovereigns (at 8000), but so few exist in such pristine condition.

IMG_9479.png

IMG_9478.png

IMG_9480.png

IMG_9481.png

IMG_9482.png

IMG_9483.png

IMG_9484.png

IMG_9485.png

Superb coins, and very envious of whoever owns them - would certainly complement my collection!

Edward V11 is a favourite monarch, a bit of a ‘Jack the Lad’ in my view. Thanks for sharing…..

IMG_0213.png

35 minutes ago, Britannia47 said:

Superb coins, and very envious of whoever owns them - would certainly complement my collection!

Edward V11 is a favourite monarch, a bit of a ‘Jack the Lad’ in my view. Thanks for sharing…..

IMG_0213.png

There are some very interesting Edward VII coins including the circulation strike £5 which appears less often than the proof. Also the very first Ottawa sovereigns.

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

42 minutes ago, Britannia47 said:

Shield Sovereigns

I really like the Shield designs by Jean Babtiste Merlen seen on these full sovereigns, and later,  on the Victoria 1/2 Sovs. A much underrated engraver IMO, very much under the shadow of Pistrucci and Wyon at the time. However,  he was able to step into the breach after Pistrucci effectively got himself the sack. Merlen was brought in and the George & Dragon was kicked into the long grass in 1825, Merlens shields took over for nearly 50 years…

I’ve included Timothy Noads 2002 shield as a comparison

IMG_0231.jpeg

Could they then do a Merlen great engraver set?

5 minutes ago, Britannia47 said:

Deserves it on the gold £5 alone!  Although I suspect this design may have been his tribute to Napoleon, judging by the similarity of the ermine cape with Napoleons coat of arms.  Merlen worked at the Paris Mint engraving medals for Napoleons coronation, but left for England after Napoleons defeat at Waterloo in 1815….

IMG_0243.png

The ermine mantle is actually quite before Napoleon. The Bourbon French coat of arms (full achievement) had a blue mantle with pavilion, and many other European nobilities. But it's pretty non-standard in England. I actually prefer this to supporters. Although I'm aware there are CoAs with supporters inside the mantle I find those quite crunchy... 

Put that Gold £5 reverse onto a 2025 sovereign, minus the crowned Hanoverian arms in the centre, replace the legend with ANNO and 2025 either side of the crown at the top and you've got an absolute winner.  Imagine that on a new double or quintuple...

• 3 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Silverman2U said:

Got this nice case from RM the other day for my TB collection, and FREE would you believe. Has only 5 TB been released at this stage?? I feel I maybe missing one? Not sure can never keep up with this collection. 

IMG_5015.jpeg

Very nice!

Think thats all of them so far 👍

Just noticed 10 hole's for coins.

No room for a completer?

Edited by AaaGee