• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I want to show.....

1 minute ago, TheShinyStuff said:

Nice haul, but my OCD is red-lining seeing it all in a tin! And that ASE not in a cap or at least a flip🤣

Looks like a nice 2002 Brit at the bottom as well!!!

Hahaha - Love a good tin full of coins. Would like to see it full at some point in my life

If it helps the ocd any proof coin I have is in its box safely stored away and not in with the rest!

1 minute ago, SovereignBull said:

Hahaha - Love a good tin full of coins. Would like to see it full at some point in my life

If it helps the ocd any proof coin I have is in its box safely stored away and not in with the rest!

In all seriousness, if you haven't already I'd chuck a few moisture absorbing sachets in the tin as well, it'll help keep the shiny, well,  shiny!

On 03/02/2024 at 14:53, SiCole said:

Agreed!

IMG_4162.thumb.jpeg.f84f7ecbc8b13505caf8e757de5ee38c.jpeg

That's a lot of quints.  Almost as many as @Charliemouse.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

30 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

In principle I like to go for the larger one.  They are lower mintages, but ultimately (long term) that means value.  But they are harder to shift, and a bigger risk up front.  The GE's have been very hit-or-miss, so risk is a strong consideration.  Bet the 5oz is lovely in hand though.

… like all lumps of silver ;) 

36 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

It's not moisture that causes tarnishing though.

Not technically, but the gubbins in the moisture does, so that's better off in a sachet than lying on lovely Silver. Also a dry environment is better than a moist one for preservation in general. Except for fish.

Edited by TheShinyStuff

11 minutes ago, TheShinyStuff said:

Not technically, but the gubbins in the moisture does, so that's better off in a sachet than lying on lovely Silver. Also a dry environment is better than a moist one for preservation in general. Except for fish.

I'm not sure that's true either. It's gases that do the damage.

14 minutes ago, TheShinyStuff said:

Just now, paulmerton said:

I'm not sure that's true either. It's gases that do the damage.

One of you submerge 1oz of silver in water and the other smokes 100 cigarettes around 1oz of silver? Most tarnished coin in a week wins.

warning..smoking damages health apparently. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

5 minutes ago, James32 said:

One of you submerge 1oz of silver in water and the other smokes 100 cigarettes around 1oz of silver? Most tarnished coin in a week wins.

warning..smoking damages health apparently. 

I'll do both!

(Not really, stopped smoking years ago, but remember it fondly...)

9 minutes ago, TheShinyStuff said:

Like sulphur dioxide, which is soluble in water.

Humidity will accelerate the process of gaseous sulphur compounds toning a coin, but moisture on its own does not cause it. Coins will still tone in the absence of moisture when hydrogen sulphide etc are present, so the best option is to keep the gases out.

20 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

Humidity will accelerate the process of gaseous sulphur compounds toning a coin, but moisture on its own does not cause it. Coins will still tone in the absence of moisture when hydrogen sulphide etc are present, so the best option is to keep the gases out.

True. Also, if gaseous hydrogen sulphide is present it will, in part, dissolve in atmospheric water, and so moisture absorbers will remove at least a portion of it. As I said, the moisture per se is not the problem, but rather what it is carrying.

You keep the air out, I'll keep the moisture out, and the coins will stay tip-top for ever!

4 minutes ago, TheShinyStuff said:

True. Also, if gaseous hydrogen sulphide is present it will, in part, dissolve in atmospheric water, and so moisture absorbers will remove at least a portion of it. As I said, the moisture per se is not the problem, but rather what it is carrying.

You keep the air out, I'll keep the moisture out, and the coins will stay tip-top for ever!

I’ve got plenty of anti condensation bags from the kit we get delivered to work so I’ll stick one in.

23 minutes ago, TheShinyStuff said:

Are we taking these extra steps for bullion silver? Asking for a friend. 

Those small gel packs usually do the trick.

14 minutes ago, MrStacker said:

Are we taking these extra steps for bullion silver? Asking for a friend. 

Those small gel packs usually do the trick.

All silver. I don't really consider chucking in a wee sachet a step though. I've spent more time typing about it in the last hour than I ever will actually doing it!

58 minutes ago, TheShinyStuff said:

You can buy oxygen scavengers (little packets containing salt and iron filings that absorb oxygen) and silica gel sachets quite cheaply.  As long as you've got a sealed container you should be able to drop some of those in and it will keep it dry and oxygen free.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

6 hours ago, Silverman2U said:

Yup! ;) … I suspect @James32 already has a couple ;) 

The only thing is the 5oz may look better proportioned than the 2oz, we shall see.. haha I wouldn’t be surprise is he did 😂🤣

5 hours ago, Charliemouse said:

In principle I like to go for the larger one.  They are lower mintages, but ultimately (long term) that means value.  But they are harder to shift, and a bigger risk up front.  The GE's have been very hit-or-miss, so risk is a strong consideration.  Bet the 5oz is lovely in hand though.

Honestly I wasn’t for getting any of these variants, though got offered it I when discussing getting a coronation coin set with dealer.. and I gave in and took a punt on the 2oz..

To be honest I totally agree, I do believe the 5oz will indeed look a lot better in hand and proportioned - if I get offered it at the right money and can get it graded… I very well might pull the trigger.

Did you get many yourself?

On 19/02/2024 at 17:21, Paul said:

Spotted this on my travels today and thought it looked a bit different TDC Double Sovereign

1b688def8a8120b97a840e27d7e399a6_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1705591879

Nice looking coin. Decent portrait that one