• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I want to show.....

1 minute ago, Solachesis said:

Line a bowl with some kitchen foil, place the coin on it and cover it in some bicarb, then pour boiling water into the bowl and it will bubble up. Doesn't need long at all, the toning practically falls off 

Thanks! Might give that a go on a few cheap proofs to see what happens.

5 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

Thanks! Might give that a go on a few cheap proofs to see what happens.

You'll likely dull the proof finish, I'd only really recommend it on bullion coins! 

I experimented with a rather handled proof Oman sterling silver coin, and it became very dull 

7 minutes ago, Solachesis said:

You'll likely dull the proof finish, I'd only really recommend it on bullion coins! 

I experimented with a rather handled proof Oman sterling silver coin, and it became very dull 

Ooh, not sure if I'll try it now then. I sent off one of those £20 coins to get graded and it came back as proof-like which surprised me.

15 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

Ooh, not sure if I'll try it now then. I sent off one of those £20 coins to get graded and it came back as proof-like which surprised me.

Technically they are BU, so the strike and finish can likely come back as DPL, I only put it in there for about 20 seconds, finish remained shiny and reflective, but actual proof finishes are more intricate and fragile.

On 25/06/2023 at 05:38, Solachesis said:

I like this coin very much: the 2013 George and the Dragon £20. Half an ounce of .999 silver, 27mm diameter.

Basically a silver double sovereign, courtesy of @silvergaga

I had to give it a little bicarb foil bath, as it had heavy toning on the rim of the obverse, which I've noticed happens to quite a few of them in the OMP for some reason.

Screenshot_20230624_202448_edit_1194000776691245.jpg

Screenshot_20230624_202549_edit_1194010687049056.jpg

Do you have any photos of before the bath? Any signs of cleaning after?

Aaaahhh😉

5 hours ago, Dankanugget said:

What  gold Coins  do you get in Sweden or do you order from an international store?

Ma Shops , catawiki & some others.

Never bought any gold / silver here.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, geowill989 said:

Amazing! I'm 24 with big dreams... please tell me having 5 sovs is good progress😂😂

It’s a great picture! We all start somewhere, what I now see as a ‘problem’, is that I bought too much silver at the start of my journey. Five is great! You can’t beat that sense of anticipation when expecting a sovereign in the post! 

2 hours ago, geowill989 said:

Amazing! I'm 24 with big dreams... please tell me having 5 sovs is good progress😂😂

It’s way better than good and as others have said 5 more than I had at 24. I really wish I had found gold when I was your age. Go slowly, don’t borrow to buy or go without enjoying life’s treats to buy. Just put a little away for gold when you can afford it and I recon when you reach my age you’ll be a very happy man. 

8 hours ago, geowill989 said:

Amazing progress to have even started stacking at 24. Something I’d never even considered until 20 years later so I reckon you’re doing it the right way. Little and often should see you just right later in life 👍🏼

The top one's in really good nick - only a minimal amount of wear visible on the lace.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

43 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:

The top one's in really good nick - only a minimal amount of wear visible on the lace.

It’s ms62pl (top pop) but my impression is that conservatively graded. As you say the head dress & veil are well preserved as is the brooch. So I’m considering sending it for regrading.

43 minutes ago, Jaconet said:

It’s ms62pl (top pop) but my impression is that conservatively graded. As you say the head dress & veil are well preserved as is the brooch. So I’m considering sending it for regrading.

Maybe send it to that meta grading outfit (Certified Acceptance Corporation) and see if you can get a green sticker added.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.