• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereign Errors, Overdates and Varieties

5 hours ago, Foster88 said:

@Booky586 It looks like an R over E to me. Also as the R is the letter it should be.

Well spotted, is this a known variety?

Yes, Marsh has it listed as #45D, R over E in BRIT. It's also listed in Spink - Coins of England, as R/E in BRIT

Edited by Booky586
Typo correction

Would anyone advise which Marsh number the three below sovereigns are? I think I know which but thought I’d ask opinions.

Opinions on condition and possible grade welcome.

Photos show 1860 London Mint sovereign and 2 x Sydney Mint sovereigns. Although the one on the left of the image appears the better condition, possibly cleaned? I’m not sure.

981A70F2-683A-4451-BFBD-56F5B6AE0A67.jpeg

AD8D495A-B817-4596-A7B8-6462F94F6CBA.jpeg

079CCC08-B928-40BD-97C9-C7E81AD5BB54.jpeg

C0AF99C2-7EA6-42F8-A3B2-C46EAD3615FC.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/08/2022 at 12:41, PrivateStacker195 said:

Saw this on Instagram

Screenshot_20220808-184039.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-28 at 12.00.05 pm.png

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I also have an 1863 Sovereign that is *startlingly* copper in tone as can be seen in the microscope photo below.  I have not seen another Sovereign with this colouring ever before (it weighs and measures spot on).

Comparing against one of the modern 'Copper toned' Sovereigns it appears *much* more copper in colour.  Sorry that my iPhone photos don't really bring out the copper tone in the side by side pictures.

Microscope Photo of Copper Toned 1863

image.thumb.png.6f2fa57f76f4dbba00de97a793259a3b.png(1878

image.thumb.png.5af1182ffb172a5da7a3b660959709d8.png

image.thumb.png.9ed307d136461fc92b0685b3f9fba023.png

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Small Head group in Type 1A Shield Sovereigns.

Marsh/Hill  says that Sovereigns 1838 to 1847 inclusive have a small head. These are not shown as varieties as such - just a  group until the 'larger head' appeared in 1848 it seems. However 31A (1848) is shown as a small head from group !. All this information obviously passed me by until recently! As a result I've looked very carefully at my earliest Sovereign - an 1843 and compared it with an 1857. Lo and behold I measured both heads to find out their is 1mm difference in size. So its not obvious to the eye, unlike the George V large & small head. Good luck guys with your dozens and dozens of varieties by the way! 😆

IMG_3469 (2).JPG

Edited by Britannia47

There are a number of Sovereign areas I want to investigate when I have time.  

The end of Victoria’s hair is one of them - I believe the design changed subtly over the years - I think evident on your comparison example.

Not my circus, not my monkeys

3 hours ago, dicker said:

@LawrenceChard Have you seen a similar copper coloured Shield Sovereign?

Note: The first photo is the most representative of the copper toning visible.

Best

Dicker

I think the microscope photos are off-colour mainly because of the difficulty of ensuring good lighting on subjects very close to the objective lens.

Most of our shots with the excellent Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Lens look rather brutal, and not very pretty.

Sure, the 1863 sovereign on the right of the other shot does look very red. I would not be surprised by some colour variation in shield or other early sovereings, much may have depended on what they chose to alloy the gold with.

It would be interesting to get a Niton XRF analysis on it.

😎

Chards

Been reading “The Benedetto Pistrucci History 1783-1855” by Micheal A Marsh.

It’s been a great read and shows all of B.P’s works, medals, waxes, cameos.  Interesting to see this cameo of Queen Victoria on sardonyx engraved in 1836  years prior to the portrait by William Wyon, there is some striking similarities between B.P’s original and W.W interpretation some years later.

87FFED57-C0B4-47E4-8A48-3FF43B010AC7.jpeg

17D83672-F027-4102-BFE3-2776E5884C72.jpeg

85BC6D01-EF13-4845-9ED1-A5AC57CC4BE0.jpeg

2 hours ago, Britannia47 said:

Small Head group in Type 1A Shield Sovereigns.

Marsh/Hill  says that Sovereigns 1838 to 1847 inclusive have a small head. These are not shown as varieties as such - just a  group until the 'larger head' appeared in 1848 it seems. However 31A (1848) is shown as a small head from group !. All this information obviously passed me by until recently! As a result I've look very carefully at my earliest Sovereign - an 1843 and compared it with an 1857. Lo and behold I measured both heads to find out their is 1mm difference in size. So its not obvious to the eye, unlike the George V large & small head. Good luck guys with your dozens and dozens of varieties by the way! 😆

IMG_3469 (2).JPG

There are other differences if you look carefully.

The larger gap between the portrait and the lettering should be obvious once you have noticed it for the first time.

😎

Edited by LawrenceChard

Chards

2 hours ago, dicker said:

There are a number of Sovereign areas I want to investigate when I have time.  

The end of Victoria’s hair is one of them - I believe the design changed subtly over the years - I think evident on your comparison example.

1 hour ago, LawrenceChard said:

There are other differences if you look carefully.

The larger gap between the portait and the lettering should be obvious once you have noticed it for the first time.

😎

Thanks to you both.

Dicker, you sound far too busy at the moment on the forum to investigate Vicky’s hair. It might end up like St George’s horse - short tail, long tail etc!  😋

LC, Yes, - bloody obvious really.  I’m just a beginner….

I have the following 2022 proof sovereign with an oddity on it.

I'm curious: Particularly for a proof coin, does this sort of thing qualify as a mint error? And whatever it is, what would you call it?

I got this coin directly from the Royal Mint and it has never been removed from the capsule. In fact, the only time the capsule has even been opened was just now when I removed the base of the capsule to take these clearer photos. Apologies for the strange colour and lighting, but this was the only way I could get closeup photos.

image.thumb.png.c12dbbd5b9f3c0e0a408b29da5bd74bc.png 

image.thumb.png.ebe5e2361d182e1705cc4b259c414b0d.png

image.thumb.png.f231fdd2b787f0afbf7d536f5e750473.png

1 hour ago, paulmerton said:

I have the following 2022 proof sovereign with an oddity on it.

I'm curious: Particularly for a proof coin, does this sort of thing qualify as a mint error? And whatever it is, what would you call it?

I got this coin directly from the Royal Mint and it has never been removed from the capsule. In fact, the only time the capsule has even been opened was just now when I removed the base of the capsule to take these clearer photos. Apologies for the strange colour and lighting, but this was the only way I could get closeup photos.

image.thumb.png.c12dbbd5b9f3c0e0a408b29da5bd74bc.png 

image.thumb.png.ebe5e2361d182e1705cc4b259c414b0d.png

image.thumb.png.f231fdd2b787f0afbf7d536f5e750473.png

It’s a copper spot, not too un common, it’s possible to remove/reduce the appearance

22 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

Are you sure? I thought copper spots would be red or dark red at worst, this looks jet black through a loupe.

I’ve seen very dark copper spots, they can look crusty/oxide’y for a choice of words. 

You could challenge the RM and ask them what they would do you help you. 

1 minute ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

I’ve seen very dark copper spots, they can look crusty/oxide’y for a choice of words. 

You could challenge the RM and ask them what they would do you help you. 

I will ask the mint. The coin was only struck this month so hopefully it won't be too late to get something sorted out if it warrants a replacement. Thanks!