• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereign Errors, Overdates and Varieties

2 hours ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a variety. On some matt proof 1902 £5 there are raised lumps on the King's head and below "GR" of "GRA:", and an arc between them. I reckon this is due to some knock on the dies, and this feature is replicated on some coins of the type. I attached below a PF64 from PCGS website, circling those marks in green, my coin but taken by the dealer whom I bought from, and one currently listed on SVCollectors. 

P.S. please contact me if there is any copyright issue, and I shall delete the post.

IMG_4429.jpg

Screenshot_20230409_034236_Discord.jpg

2406_1902_matte.jpg

No it would not be classed as a variety IMO.  Almost all sovereigns have been subjected to die breaks and die pick-up that result in the impression minted on consecutive coins.  I've even seen this on the 2022 memorial proof sovereign, "hen pecks" in the same location on a number of coins. 

This will most probably be seen as a "minting imperfection"  rather than a minting error like a die clash or strike though etc. 

I see the same die break on the reverse of 1871 sovereigns, when you start to look closely you can see which coins have been struck with the same die.  

2 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

No it would not be classed as a variety IMO.  Almost all sovereigns have been subjected to die breaks and die pick-up that result in the impression minted on consecutive coins.  I've even seen this on the 2022 memorial proof sovereign, "hen pecks" in the same location on a number of coins. 

This will most probably be seen as a "minting imperfection"  rather than a minting error like a die clash or strike though etc. 

I see the same die break on the reverse of 1871 sovereigns, when you start to look closely you can see which coins have been struck with the same die.  

Thanks! I think this settles it well.

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sovereignsteve said:

Any thoughts guys?

1850dateclose.thumb.jpg.3c22266ced8fa07d9453090cd44579d1.jpg

5 over 5 I think.  I certainly don’t recall seeing or hearing of this before.  Looks like the 0 spacing is off as well.

Plenty of unlisted (not in Marsh) 1850 errors out there.  They seemed to have had problems with the date this year.  Ones I have noted (have seen in action)

- Roman I for 1 (Rareish)

- 5 over 8 (V Rare)
- 0 Lower than the rest of the numbers (V Rare)

- Suspected 0 over 9

Scarcity rating is my guesstimate!

Also in this year there is the A for V in Victoria that is not in Marsh (I believe), along with other errors.

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

3 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

Any thoughts guys?

1850dateclose.thumb.jpg.3c22266ced8fa07d9453090cd44579d1.jpg

1st This is another 1850 with a double struck 50

2nd one is the 8/5 just looks like a miss formed 8 these are worth  a few quid

3rd is a Roman 1 just looks like a capital I always look for this in sovereigns around this date 

4th all numbers in date double struck 

Screenshot 2023-04-17 at 19.12.42.png

Screenshot 2023-04-17 at 19.13.42.png

Screenshot 2023-04-17 at 19.16.28.png

Screenshot 2023-04-17 at 19.19.14.png

Edited by GoldDiggerDave

• 4 weeks later...

does anyone have any idea what this could mean?

Its a 1880 half sovereign shield. There's a slight smudge on the letter above the portrait, and this causes an indentation on the obverse, and the milled edge is smoother. There's no discernable weight difference.

obv.jpg

reverse.jpg

side.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, plugged, ex jewellery.

I sometimes see these on shipwreck pieces of eight that have been recovered.  I suspect they hung around the neck of someone who perished.  

IMG_5612.thumb.jpg.df8cfc688c4158a6918f143ccf32967b.jpg

Just saw this on my 1852. The 8 seems to be struck over 7 but I'm not too sure. Also, 5 and 2 seem double struck.

Edited by SeverinDigsSovereigns

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

2 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Looks like the start to a James Bond film. 

It's my 30x loupe. I have a 50x as well, and under these magnification levels everything look total cr*p...

On 14/05/2023 at 16:07, Spark268 said:

does anyone have any idea what this could mean?

Its a 1880 half sovereign shield. There's a slight smudge on the letter above the portrait, and this causes an indentation on the obverse, and the milled edge is smoother. There's no discernable weight difference.

obv.jpg

reverse.jpg

side.jpg

Ex jewellery, looks to have been re soldered

• 2 weeks later...

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

• 4 weeks later...

1864 - Die 98 

Anyone have any ideas on what is going on here?

Initially I thought R over A

But could be R over I rotated?

Any opinions welcome! (Naturally this is not in Marsh)

All the best

Dicker

image.png.aa6826f1f0fb3b7c4aa5920b077fd101.png

R from Britanniarum on the same coin below (As it should be)

image.png.45131bdf245396409d3e98dd8cdebfab.png

2 minutes ago, dicker said:

1864 - Die 98 

Anyone have any ideas on what is going on here?

Initially I thought R over A

But could be R over I rotated?

Any opinions welcome! (Naturally this is not in Marsh)

All the best

Dicker

image.png.aa6826f1f0fb3b7c4aa5920b077fd101.png

R from Britanniarum on the same coin below (As it should be)

image.png.45131bdf245396409d3e98dd8cdebfab.png

My immediate thought was that it's taken a hard knock & disfigured the letter, but admittedly I'm no expert 😁