• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereign Errors, Overdates and Varieties

6 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

@Foster88 Not seen one with that bad of a die breakdown.  

Neither have I, I thought it interesting so thought I’d share it here.

Is that what would cause this, a die breakdown?

Maybe @LawrenceChard could tell us if he’s ever seen anything like this before given the number of sovereigns he’s seen.

I should add that it’s an 1888 sovereign. The year of the famous murders in Whitechapel.

1 hour ago, Foster88 said:

Neither have I, I thought it interesting so thought I’d share it here.

Maybe @LawrenceChard could tell us if he’s ever seen anything like this before given the number of sovereigns he’s seen.

I should add that it’s an 1888 sovereign. The year of the famous murders in Whitechapel.

I have an alibi!

I will take a look later.

😎

Chards

On 14/05/2022 at 13:31, Foster88 said:

Would anyone agree that this 1858 sovereign is the unbarred ‘A’ variety in GRATIA?

Possibly broken bars, I’m not so sure.

5E44D5D0-BED1-494A-AEBF-0A8DC34ED49B.jpeg

The bars are present, but vestigial, but they probably qualify as missing

Chards

On 14/05/2022 at 13:31, Foster88 said:

Would anyone agree that this 1858 sovereign is the unbarred ‘A’ variety in GRATIA?

Possibly broken bars, I’m not so sure.

Logically speaking, there are only two possibilities with regard to "unbarred A" or broken A bars.

1. Broken A punches where the bar is broken off completely or partially. This is understandable as the bar will be a very thin sliver of steel and would be susceptible to damage considering how much hammer they would be subject to over their lifetime. I would imagine these punches would be used for many years in the Mint even after they show signs of damage. After all, such things wouldn't be regarded as important, who cares whether one of the letters or numbers is imperfect in some way. You do see lots of damage to the serifs on other letters as well.
This situation with the A is GRATIA is pretty common and doesn't really interest me, most people make too much of these in the interests of adding £££s to the selling price.

2. Genuine mint/engraver errors where an unside down V has been used in place of the A in GRATIA.
These are pretty rare and worthy of the cudos and value upgrade they attract.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

7 hours ago, Foster88 said:

Dies will wear and eventually fall apart under the immense stresses thay are subject to during their lifetime. Cracks will develop and gradually get worse until someone decides enough is enough and bins them.

How often they are simply left in use until they do completely breakdown and fall apart is unknown. Perhaps the deteriorating condition is noticed in "QC" which I assume they had in some form before the coins were released for circulation, and the dies taken out of use?

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

@sovereignsteve thank you for replying and sharing your knowledge.

I should have said in my earlier post that the 1888 sovereign obverse photo is a Sydney Mint. I can’t remember if it was you or another member that said that the Australian mints would use a die more than the London Mint, despite wear related flaws to meet demand. Mostly, I suppose, due the lack of engravers at the mints down under.

I might be remembering wrong as it was some time ago but that theory would make sense. However, in my few years I’ve been collecting and studying sovereigns I don’t recall seeing any with such a die crack as obvious as that. It’s almost as if the top of the letters in VICTORIA are fractured in some way. But as you said, a very worn die. The only letter in Victoria of that sovereign that is spared is the last ‘A’!!

Now, I wonder, was this the last sovereign of that die to be minted or at least one of the last.

I suppose we’ll never know but maybe it should have gone six months prior.

@drakesterling I hope you don’t mind me mentioning you but I wonder if you’ve ever seen any like this, I don’t know how to describe it, sort of fractured/die cracked sovereigns?

2FF30D15-0776-4D8A-97AD-CF3BD88F465A.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
49 minutes ago, PrivateStacker195 said:

Saw this on Instagram

Screenshot_20220808-184039.png

Posted the original sale for this.  It is one of a pair for sale. Been on and off the market for the last 18 months.

Not my circus, not my monkeys