• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereign Errors, Overdates and Varieties

Hi @DrK can we see images of the entire coin? The short and long tails coins wear differently, and can often be identified by the way the wear presents on the dragon.

Various medium tails are known/alleged to exist and have been described in past editions of the McDonald catalogue. If you can find a copy of one, you can check there if they haven't already been described? I'll check when I'm back in the office next week too.

The decision was made to not specifically describe medium tails as new varieties, as it was unclear whether the medium tail was a different die or simply one where the shallow incused tips of the tail had been filled in the die.

On 19/03/2023 at 03:59, drakesterling said:

Hi @DrK can we see images of the entire coin? The short and long tails coins wear differently, and can often be identified by the way the wear presents on the dragon.

Various medium tails are known/alleged to exist and have been described in past editions of the McDonald catalogue. If you can find a copy of one, you can check there if they haven't already been described? I'll check when I'm back in the office next week too.

The decision was made to not specifically describe medium tails as new varieties, as it was unclear whether the medium tail was a different die or simply one where the shallow incused tips of the tail had been filled in the die.

Hi drakesterling,

I can appreciate what you are saying.  While I was looking through hundreds of horse derrières I saw many instances where there appeared to be weak ghosts of the ends of the tails, most especially the innermost longest one of the three.  If there was any doubt whatsoever about the tail ends, I ignored that example.  For the examples I did accept, I also looked for another telltale clue, which is the number of hair spurs in the left-indent of the tail.  It's been pointed out by others that for short, medium, and long tails there are two, zero, and one spurs respectively.  So if I saw what appeared to be a medium tail but could see even some weak evidence of a hair spur in the indent, I ignored that case and assumed the ends of the tail had filled or just been weakly struck.  In the end, I only considered cases where all three ends of the horse tail were cut short, a horizontal line drawn under them intersected the vertex of the angle between the bottom of the horse leg and the dragon leg, and there was no evidence of any hair spur in the left indent.  I also avoided any seriously worn coins. This was about as strict as I could make it.  Even still, I was able to find a few cases of each variety.  All four of the new ones that I showed thus would correspond to a medium (or intermediate) tail length. None would be considered short.  But based on just appearance alone, none would be considered long either. 

If the decision was made not to include medium tails as new varieties in the Jubilee Head series, then how do you explain Marsh-101A, 102A, 103, 104, and 104A for type IIB St George reverse?  This is where the "no hair spur" argument initiated I think.  

But, of course, just because we don't see something doesn't mean it never was there.  As a former chemistry professor, I've run into way too many cases where the fact that something was not seen was not proof that it was not there. It just may have been missed in the measurement. It's a classic case of  Evidence of absence - Wikipedia   where it's easy to prove something exists, but nearly impossible to prove that it doesn't.  In the current case, a worn or partially filled die, or simply a weak strike could have resulted in what I found.  But I felt that the absence of the tips of all three tail ends, as well as the hair spur in the indent, on an otherwise well-struck coin, put the weight of evidence in my favor, as much as could be reasonably expected. 

Even if the examples I found are due to die wear on formerly long tails, it would not be out of the question to still consider them significant varieties since other such examples are already included in Marsh.  For example, Marsh-111 indicates that the final stop in B.P. is missing, but I personally own a coin where it is plainly there.  When compiling the book, the authors simply had never seen one before and therefore assumed all coins were the same.  And Marsh-40A relates to partially barred A's. But clearly no engraver would ever create such a letter punch, so it's obviously due to a worn die or letter punch, but still considered a significant variety. When I see a case of "inverted A for V", I believe it. But when I see a case of "unbarred A", I'm skeptical that this is simply a filled die and not an inverted letter V.  And there are several varieties which relate to missing B.P. initials altogether. I've always been of the opinion that most of these were simply cases of worn dies or weak strikes.  

Since this is a forum designed to get to the truth of interesting things, your separate investigations are definitely welcome, and I'd love to see images of what you're describing so that I can improve my own detective work.  Instead of showing images here, let me give everyone the certification numbers of the coins I showed, so you can download them and enlarge to whatever degree you like:

1892 PCGS 32464080

1892-M NGC 4628806-011 (AU55)

1892-S The Coin Cabinet Auction 28, Lot 226

1893-M PCGS 42926379

And no, I did not "photoshop" any of the images!  

------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm always on the lookout for unusual variations in gold sovereigns, and I will show one of my favorites here, since it relates to having parts of the design missing.  Here is an 1863 Sydney sov, where the bottoms of the letters E, E, G are clearly broken.  But these are very thick sections, and not some fine delicate lines, so it hardly seems like die wear. And why were the bottoms of just these letters affected, and not the S, O, V, etc?  If the letter punches themselves broke, why did the tops not break and disappear also?  And once defective punch for letter E was noticed, why not use the same punch that created the E in "ONE" since it was still intact? (You will note by the angles and lengths of the serifs that three different letter punches for E were in use.)  It's usually clear what's going on in the case of broken or repositioned letters, or re-punched dates, but this one baffles me.  I really wish I could talk to the engraver that produced this coin to see what he was thinking at the time. 🧐

1863X.PNG

Edited by DrK

11 hours ago, DrK said:

Here is an 1863 Sydney sov, where the bottoms of the letters E, E, G are clearly broken.

Rather than broken, could the damage be caused by debris filling in the thinner parts of the letters on the die, a little like the unbarred A varieties?

The letter N seems to be suffering some loss in the lower serif too.

I think this makes it clearer. The upside down photo makes it more obvious that it is a 8 struck over a 7. This might be a good idea for others to take some photos of coin upside down as you can see details that were not noticed before.

1880 7over 8.jpg

1880 7 over 8 Upside down.jpg

Never Chase and Never Regret 

12 minutes ago, Spyder said:

I think this makes it clearer. The upside down photo makes it more obvious that it is a 8 struck over a 7. This might be a good idea for others to take some photos of coin upside down as you can see details that were not noticed before.

1880 7over 8.jpg

Yep, sure does 👍🏼

4 hours ago, Spyder said:

1880 7over 8.jpg

There's some interesting info as to how this error may have come about in the Bentley Collection sale catalogue: https://media.baldwin.co.uk/auctions/Baldwins Auction/BA catalogues/Baldwins auction 79 - catalogue (Bentley Collection 3).pdf

image.jpeg.ebb7a3ecc9f7ba66a137ddb9aab2bdb7.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Booky586 said:

There's some interesting info as to how this error may have come about in the Bentley Collection sale catalogue: https://media.baldwin.co.uk/auctions/Baldwins Auction/BA catalogues/Baldwins auction 79 - catalogue (Bentley Collection 3).pdf

image.jpeg.ebb7a3ecc9f7ba66a137ddb9aab2bdb7.jpeg

Thank you @Booky586 that is very interesting

6 minutes ago, dicker said:

Yes it is an 8 / 7

Initially when I bought this coin, it was because this was what I thought, but after seeing it in hand was not so sure. I had put this up for sale and no one noticed for about a week until and I have to thank @1stsovereign said he thinks it might be. After doing these extra photos, the proof was obvious. 

On 23/03/2023 at 07:25, Spyder said:

Would some of you sharp eyes members agree that this is a 8 over 7. 

20230320_234840.jpg

Marsh/Hill 2021 lists three separate varieties for 1880/70, depending on the degree of exposure of the initials W.W. on the obverse, and the length of the horse tail on the reverse:

M91A = WW buried, long tail

M91BB = WW buried, short tail

M91DD = WW clear, long tail

I own an example of M91DD, and will show the relevant details below.  

Your coin looks to have long tail, so it's either M91A or M91DD.  On your coin, the top bar of the "7" is very obvious, whereas on mine it's mostly hidden except for a piece peeking out in the northeast corner. On my coin, there is a clear section of the bottom of the "7" sticking out (circled in red), which is not very obvious on your coin. So it would seem that when the engraver overlaid the "8" on the die used to strike your coin, it was positioned a bit lower than on the die used to strike my coin. So I would guess that your coin will show WW partially buried, and will be M91A.  🤔

91DD obv.PNG

91DD revx.png

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, iacabu said:

Makes sense now you say it. I haven't got it in hand, someone had sent me the pictures. 

Don’t touch it.  

Not my circus, not my monkeys

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a variety. On some matt proof 1902 £5 there are raised lumps on the King's head and below "GR" of "GRA:", and an arc between them. I reckon this is due to some knock on the dies, and this feature is replicated on some coins of the type. I attached below a PF64 from PCGS website, circling those marks in green, my coin but taken by the dealer whom I bought from, and one currently listed on SVCollectors. 

P.S. please contact me if there is any copyright issue, and I shall delete the post.

IMG_4429.jpg

Screenshot_20230409_034236_Discord.jpg

2406_1902_matte.jpg

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.