• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereign Errors, Overdates and Varieties

18 minutes ago, Midasfrog said:

Don't forget age is taken into account when grading it's 165 years old now 👍

That’s another thing I’ve learned since joining mate, I never knew age played a part in grading.

Btw the pic I put up is terrible it’s a lot nicer in real life, don’t know what it would grade with NGC but I’d put it as nearer a VF than a F.

21 minutes ago, Midasfrog said:

It’s a weird coin.

Unbarred A’s but there are versions with that and a small date and there are others with a broken 5 in the date and it looks like a 3…..mine has all 3 lol 😂 

2 minutes ago, Sovhead said:

It’s a weird coin.

Unbarred A’s but there are versions with that and a small date and there are others with a broken 5 in the date and it looks like a 3…..mine has all 3 lol 😂 

List it on Ebay with a low start you might become a rich man or the buyer says the box was empty when received 

1 minute ago, Midasfrog said:

List it on Ebay with a low start you might become a rich man or the buyer says the box was empty when received 

I bought it on eBay 11/21 for £449 knowing it had a low mintage.

Theres a few in completed listings right now that have it at £550-£650 

10 hours ago, Midasfrog said:

I am not sure about this. A grade is base on condition of coin and not year as far as I am aware. What do you think @GoldDiggerDave

Never Chase and Never Regret 

18 minutes ago, shawy2510 said:

I have this coin due to go for grading with a lamination error :)

20230731_154109.jpg

That’s an impressive delamination! For it to be folded over the legend like that it’s got to have happened post striking, could it be vandalism looks like a lot of tooling. Would be interesting to see what the take is on this coin……love to see these oddities. 

On 15/08/2023 at 06:29, 1853DEE said:

Hi All, I recently discovered an 1853 variety in my collection, it is the 1853 F over E reads DEE variety, I had it graded by NGC as AU55. can anyone tell me some information about how many are known to exist or a potential value? any replies will be much appreciated, thanks.

NGC Image Reverse.JPG

NGC Image Obverse.JPG

WhatsApp Image 2023-07-11 at 20.08.21.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2023-07-11 at 18.57.14.jpg

Marsh(36C)has that at £1750 in VF condition can’t be many of them around.

It’s a cracker.

4 minutes ago, 1853DEE said:

Thanks Sovhead for your reply, i cant find much info about them other than what is in the Marsh book or on Google, which is not a lot

Did NGC comment on the variety when it got slabbed?

3 hours ago, 1853DEE said:

Thanks Sovhead for your reply, i cant find much info about them other than what is in the Marsh book or on Google, which is not a lot

The 1853 had all sorts of problems and errors - many still not in Marsh, and there are others with errors in DEF.  Amazing really, but this was a time of poor quality at the mint.  

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Hi Dicker

Many thanks for your reply, I tried to find out how many of this variety would have been produced seeing as though they had to strike the F over the E, why wouldn't they have melted them down and re-make them? or perhaps there were only very few so they re-struck them. I was wondering if they ever kept a record of quantities or if it will forever be a mystery? i can't even find out how many have been found since the first one came to light in 2007 Spinks auction.

Any info would be much appreciated

Hi Dave 

Thanks for your reply, i only have the Gold Sovereign Series book at present, please suggest some if they have more info on my particular variety 

Does it make a massive difference to have the variety printed on the slab? It is my first and so far only graded coin as to my knowledge it is my rarest, i have some other rare coins but all R's not R3's

Any advice would be much appreciated

Having done some scouring around for information there's little out there. There are no entries for it in "The Gold Sovereign" or Spink "Coins of England and the UK". I've searched for previous sales at "The Coin Cabinet" and "London Coins" and can't find any record of this error passing through there either. NGC and PCGS don't have any entries that I can find in their databases. The Bentley Collection Auction had one for sale which sold for £920, over 10 years ago:

image.png.ebdb45275282d6f76f662762d9b1a7ed.png

On the All Gold Coins website it states: "Value wise I would expect the 'DEE' sovereign to be a minimum of £1000 in anything above Fine with £2000 more likely for a nice strong VF, and very rare with few examples known."

https://www.allgoldcoins.co.uk/pages/18-the-queen-victoria-shield-reverse-sovereign-1850-59

You've got a very desirable coin and seemingly very rare.

Edited by Booky586

So I have seen one for sale previously. But only one.  

There will not be any official numbers - because they were accidents.  But it is relatively rare coin. 

Having said that, there are a number of errors that are not in Marsh, are spectacular and very rare.   

Not my circus, not my monkeys

30 minutes ago, 1853DEE said:

Hi Dave 

Thanks for your reply, i only have the Gold Sovereign Series book at present, please suggest some if they have more info on my particular variety 

Does it make a massive difference to have the variety printed on the slab? It is my first and so far only graded coin as to my knowledge it is my rarest, i have some other rare coins but all R's not R3's

Any advice would be much appreciated

With a coin like this the variety is what makes the coin desirable, the issue you sometimes can get the NGC or other grading companies will not always automatically apply the attribution.  When submitting coins like this I put on their own submission and include all relevant information to give it the best chance to get the attribution  applied.