• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I Received.....

Message added by ChrisSilver

The Today I received section is for private individuals to share items they have purchased for their collection / as part of their investment.

The Today I received section is not to be used for businesses to promote their business. Trade members and those operating as a business in the eyes of the forum are invited to enquire about a Dealer Sub Forum, where you may start your own Today _____ received topic to post your commercial purchases. E.g. The Today Chards Received..... topic.

1 hour ago, paulmerton said:

Ooh it's a slippery slope, that one!

I like to have the odd historical curiosity in the collection, a shipwreck coin here, a Pyx coin there.  But I like pretties and shinies more, so I can photograph them.  😊

1 hour ago, SovereignBull said:

Any grubby inspector fingerprints on it? 🤣

Let's just say that the Met Police forensic team would not struggle to find the culprit.

12 Beginner Tips for Better Coin Photos

Everything you need to take great coin photos

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

1 hour ago, Richard82 said:

Some bits I'm collecting for my nieces and nephew. 

Might be the start of some new stackers, or they sell it when they turn 18 😂😂

20240127_130344.jpg

Are two more favoured than other two?🤪🤪

1 minute ago, Brit2023 said:

Are two more favoured than other two?🤪🤪

😂😂 no they already got some of it.

My nephew like the germania mint so I get in one when I get one. Him and sister have a few other bits as well.

It will all end up even in the end. With 4 of them I will just add bits to it over time.

8 hours ago, JohnV66 said:

PF70 on a 1993 double is epic. Difficult to achieve. Really cracking result.

Thanks fella. A really good crisp Portrait and my pictures will never do it justice. When I bought it I just thought ‘that looks nice’🤷‍♂️

“Foook You, you’re an irrelevant customer, go somewhere else peasant, nobody’s listening, I’m alright Jack”

-Royal Mint 2024

4 hours ago, Richard82 said:

Some stunning coins come today thanks to @SilverTalent

Going into storage to go with the 1989 sovereign set.

20240127_131612.jpg

20231118_215908.jpg

Beautiful, the 1989 design is special isn't it, you have a nice collection there, I managed to pick up an over priced half 1989 sov last year, small but beautiful it is one of the favourites in my collection, best wishes to all

5 hours ago, Charliemouse said:

2021 Trial of the Pyx - 2020 Pay Attention 007 - 1/4oz Gold Proof

My first Pyx coin.  Not the most photogenic thing, but a little bit of history.

image.thumb.png.409ff803a732adf3ba1f25093e6cfcf1.png

Great looking coin, just don’t look at it under high magnification!🤔😮

4 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

2023 Royal Mint - Six Decades of 007 - Bond Films of The 1970s - 1/4oz Gold Proof

The second of the series and my personal favourite Bond film, The Spy Who Loved Me.

image.thumb.png.1764788e432ca348c10888982a86c457.png

I do like it when people buy coins they like or that have special meaning to them rather than just buying them because they "will do well in the future". Hopefully it will tick both boxes though! 🤣

3 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

I do like it when people buy coins they like or that have special meaning to them rather than just buying them because they "will do well in the future". Hopefully it will tick both boxes though! 🤣

People keep knocking the 'investment' worth of these coins.  Might put me off.  😪

I don't buy them to sell them.  That probably makes me a freak around here.

Edited by Charliemouse

12 Beginner Tips for Better Coin Photos

Everything you need to take great coin photos

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

3 hours ago, slack said:

Beautiful, the 1989 design is special isn't it, you have a nice collection there, I managed to pick up an over priced half 1989 sov last year, small but beautiful it is one of the favourites in my collection, best wishes to all

Yes I do love the 1989 set it even better in person especially the 5 sov

29 minutes ago, Charliemouse said:

People keep knocking the 'investment' worth of these coins.  Might put me off.  😪

I don't buy them to sell them.  That probably makes me a freak around here.

I only buy what I like to have in my collection. I will in all likelihood sell everything one day but if I loose money at that point I’m not to bothered as enjoyed my collection for what ever period of time. 

4 minutes ago, Richard82 said:

Just won this in an auction for £28.

Good deal or not?

Screenshot_20240127-215101_Facebook.jpg

I think it’s a pretty good deal. Wouldn’t mind collecting these myself but couldn’t find any uk dealer selling them. 

2 minutes ago, Pm1987 said:

I think it’s a pretty good deal. Wouldn’t mind collecting these myself but couldn’t find any uk dealer selling them. 

Got a couple off Facebook at good prices. There in a box I've got with one of the admin's on there. I'll put some photos up when I get them.

11 minutes ago, silverfan said:

Good Morning,

got me another Sov from 1958 just the other day. May i ask the Experts what causes the issue that the 1958 Sov mostly got a bit higher Premium? Dunno why and got courious on that. According to mintage this year isn't special at all.

1958.jpg

I haven't noticed this in the UK. 1958's seem pretty common here, and they had a large mintage (8 million, from memory) and I don't notice them being any more expensive.  1957 and 1959 had smaller mintages and sometimes go for a bit of a premium.  It's possible that somebody's conflating the 1958 ones and mispricing them for some reason.

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.