• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

NEW St. George and the Dragon coin with Garter inscription

6 minutes ago, tpcob303 said:

If you are grading it won't affect the grade....apparently according to ngc as its a mint production issue rather than post production. However if you are wanting a perfect coin I would return it if that's what you want. Personally I have 3 coins with such issues and I kept them, its kind of difficult when you live abroad to send things back due to the time frame for returns as they have to go through customs etc which eats into the time permitted. All coins with the issue were graded and while the gold coins scored 70 the third coin was silver and didn't score a 70 due to Royal Mint milk spots they lovingly placed on most of their silver just so I didn't feel left out. 

This is where grading falls down. I wouldn't want to buy that coin even if it were a PF70.

For proof coins in particular, it would be nice if there were some additional value that represents how well the coin was made in the first place.

1 hour ago, Mickjar said:

Have now returned the coin for a refund so now deciding do I buy another one from the forum or save the money towards some more gold bullion

@GoldDiggerDave I’m sure could sort you out with new GE silver coin, if he still has stock?

5 hours ago, tpcob303 said:

If you are grading it won't affect the grade....apparently according to ngc as its a mint production issue rather than post production. However if you are wanting a perfect coin I would return it if that's what you want. Personally I have 3 coins with such issues and I kept them, its kind of difficult when you live abroad to send things back due to the time frame for returns as they have to go through customs etc which eats into the time permitted. All coins with the issue were graded and while the gold coins scored 70 the third coin was silver and didn't score a 70 due to Royal Mint milk spots they lovingly placed on most of their silver just so I didn't feel left out. 

This is the thing with American grading I'm not too fond about. Eye appeal, nice strike, full even frost, etc, should be taken into consideration.

2oz Silver... yet another QC return! :( 

This one's been dropped, dragged and beaten... standard operating procedure!

Large contact mark (fingerprint?) on the coin, not the plastic:

IMG_3181.thumb.jpg.7053bb09a7cffb5f9549ac03a9389648.jpg

IMG_3187.thumb.jpg.f7aa70d8ee82b072cad3a837df25a4fc.jpg

Damage to the coin surface:

IMG_3182.thumb.jpg.037ef53f6b761842d772f00f6cbe56af.jpg

IMG_3188.thumb.jpg.dd40da69ca7162aff3a6c8da0c57789e.jpg

Surface damage on the horse's body:

IMG_3183.thumb.jpg.8d3abb03febfb170f10104284093f80e.jpg

9 minutes ago, Darr3nG said:

2oz Silver... yet another QC return! :( 

This one's been dropped, dragged and beaten... standard operating procedure!

Large contact mark (fingerprint?) on the coin, not the plastic:

IMG_3181.thumb.jpg.7053bb09a7cffb5f9549ac03a9389648.jpg

IMG_3187.thumb.jpg.f7aa70d8ee82b072cad3a837df25a4fc.jpg

Damage to the coin surface:

IMG_3182.thumb.jpg.037ef53f6b761842d772f00f6cbe56af.jpg

IMG_3188.thumb.jpg.dd40da69ca7162aff3a6c8da0c57789e.jpg

Surface damage on the horse's body:

IMG_3183.thumb.jpg.8d3abb03febfb170f10104284093f80e.jpg

5 minutes ago, Darr3nG said:

Does the strike on the lettering look really poor too?

IMG_3185.thumb.jpg.35d63c3a3a40ab89e3ab9e8c8280f83a.jpg

IMG_3186.thumb.jpg.6c229acdf43e42a15aa2e3e47a51a49d.jpg

That’s very disappointing Darren 

42 minutes ago, Darr3nG said:

Does the strike on the lettering look really poor too?

IMG_3185.thumb.jpg.35d63c3a3a40ab89e3ab9e8c8280f83a.jpg

IMG_3186.thumb.jpg.6c229acdf43e42a15aa2e3e47a51a49d.jpg

Mine went back yesterday for scratches, it is unreal the amount of coins that are sent out, that are below Proof standard, you end up dreading opening the box ,which is the opposite of what you want.

You can see the spots also starting  in the field with yours, that should never have got past QC. We should be showing the QC number to see if it's the same one (must admit couldn't tell which one I had).   

The borders or Dragon's teeth looks like someone use a tissue and did a wipe while spinning the coin were the frosting start to wear. If you look closely I don't think any are perfect, some are better than others and by a wide margin. Even mine I say its perfect only by looking objectively only because its free from immediate visual flaws because overall eye appeal its perfect without having to go forensic.

Edited by Taikonaut

At least you have had a delivery!

Jokes

I am dreading my 5 oz

Should make for some good "Royally Screwed" Content though

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

Hi please can someone tell me if this two ounce coin i received today is supposed to have a line on the rim I have attached an image to show you 

thank you 

IMG_3123.jpeg

18 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

At least you have had a delivery!

Jokes

I am dreading my 5 oz

Should make for some good "Royally Screwed" Content though

Still waiting for my delivery. Hopefully they're going though an additional QC procedure to make sure they're perfect 😏

1 minute ago, cjbcomm said:

Still waiting for my delivery. Hopefully they're going though an additional QC procedure to make sure they're perfect 😏

Explore how bout no GIFs

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

13 minutes ago, Steve66 said:

Hi please can someone tell me if this two ounce coin i received today is supposed to have a line on the rim I have attached an image to show you 

thank you 

IMG_3123.jpeg

Mine had the same, I think the break is so the coin can be removed from the collar due to the raised letters. The solid collar would mean the edge would jam and could not be removed.

The original 1818 to 1820 had more sections which you can see, and are similar to the one on the 2024 between the cinquefoil, and the letter D.