• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

closed Kilo gold bar Johnson Matthey

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

4 minutes ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

I would be better off graining it and selling grain for 5% over than selling it for spot

It's not such a bad idea - I've no idea who collects 1kg gold bars and would pay a premium for an antique Johnson Matthey bar this big.  It's a lot of money in one hit, and you might be better off reselling it as something smaller if you have the means to do that.

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

Just now, Silverlocks said:

It's not such a bad idea - I've no idea who collects 1kg gold bars and would pay a premium for an antique Johnson Matthey bar.  It's a lot of money in one hit, and you might be better off reselling it as something smaller if you have the means to do that.

It’s just over 3% so not terrible premium 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

3 minutes ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

It’s just over 3% so not terrible premium 

I did do the calculation, so it's not that OTT as far as premiums for a 1kg bar go.  A 1kg Metalor gold bar from Atkinsons is about £51,650, so you've got a premium of about £850 over a commodity bar.  However, I'm wondering who would consider a bar this big to be a collectible.

I wonder if a collector somewhere in Asia might be interested in this?

Edited by Silverlocks

15 minutes ago, Leonmarsh said:

@James32 you know what to do get it bloody bought can't go to graining this 

I would advertise my backside on gaydar for free to get this 

If you advertise it for free I'm not sure how that helps you get the bar?

17 minutes ago, Darr3nG said:

You thinking hacksaw?

[serious] OP did talk about converting it to grain that he could sell at 5% over spot.  If it's not so expensive to do that, it might be an alternative.  While there are folks who might decry melting an antique Johnson Matthey bar down, I don't think there are many folks who actually have 50 grand plus to pay for a collectible item, and if he doesn't have access to that market, it might be the right thing to do.  A 1oz bar might be collectible, but a 1kg bar is kind of a stretch unless you can get a bit enough margin to put into the rare coin scene.

Edited by Silverlocks