• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Change is Coming! New King Charles 3 definitive designs

Last time I write to the mint and request animals are put back on the coins, I meant lions and unicorns not native wildlife.

Either way, they are different and some nice designs. I’m just waiting for Una and Squirrel to come out before pulling the trigger 

11 minutes ago, bluffer said:

since you mention it...

but one pence, two pence, 5 pence etc   makes more sense to me

Shouldn't it be one pence, 2 pences, 5 pences then?

" Hanged, not hung"

Edited by SeverinDigsSovereigns

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

Interesting design on the 10p reverse - took me awhile to identify it… I bet children  won’t be able to spell it!

CAPERCAILLIE  Probably nearly extinct, because of the Royal family shooting them!😀

IMG_0153.jpeg

Edited by Britannia47

17 minutes ago, Britannia47 said:

Interesting design on the 10p reverse - took me awhile to identify it… I bet children  won’t be able to spell it!

CAPERCAILLIE  Probably nearly extinct, because of the Royal family shooting them!

IMG_0153.jpeg

A bit disrespectful of a comment.

7 minutes ago, Petra said:

You have one penny and two pence … you can though be hanged and hung … even well..🤔😮

"Hung good". But to be fair there are words whose singular and plural are the same. Penny is not one of those words.

Edited by SeverinDigsSovereigns

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

Okay so I’m late to the party as this was 4 am for me and I was sure nothing would sell out. Well, except that $15,000 gold set, which is pretty but I was never going to queue up for it anyway.

THEME AND DESIGN INTERPRETATION (brutally honest personal opinions incoming…)

Overall nature theme is great. Thanks @paulmerton- you know that I trust your word. 🙂

The design interpretation choice caught me by surprise. Not at all intricate like the designs of old (the way I’d hoped), but definitely very modern and, as some have said, also very Aussie-like.

From their description:

A watershed moment for British coinage, these new designs, more or less for the first time, step away from the heraldry that has dominated for centuries. 

Okay so another brick is pulled from the wall! ☹️ @SeverinDigsSovereigns

Meanwhile, the 3 interlocked C cypher is also bugging me because the Cs are not completely interlocked (yes, I’m all about details!). The thing looks odd and incomplete, like it was designed using 1998 MS Paint as a starting point, and left unfinished.

IMG_7187.jpeg.d0cd12db6e23f5415c90d724a7d8100f.jpeg

The thingey shows up on all the coins in the segment used for the denomination.

IMG_7188.jpeg.ababbc9e1268d9dace67b22e933b68f9.jpeg

As a point of reference, this was the 3p during Charles II’s reign. Design intricacy at its finest!

image.jpeg.aca55fc6846afebae3d4d2ed2d957984.jpeg

PERSONAL FINAL VERDICT

Overall, nothing to brag about and personally leaves me wanting for more; but not really bad either.

Will I get a set? Not yet. I think they’ll  be available on the secondary market below issue price soon enough.

Edited by westminstrel

2 hours ago, Britannia47 said:

CAPERCAILLIE  Probably nearly extinct, because of the Royal family shooting them!

IMG_0153.jpeg

Maybe next August 12th instead of shooting the birds they'll throw up 10p coins and blast them with a shot gun. 😂

Some of you boys are tough to please.  I like the coins and looking at them from the perspective of a set of circulating coins, not commemoratives I think the RM designer did a good job of capturing the natural aspects of the UK and getting the blessing of the monarch.  

Unfortunately most people won’t even look at the change in their pocket…….

44 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Also very similar to the old Irish coins.

image.jpeg.7f4008e4575891ffb6dd34538fb60ddd.jpeg

Yes, one of the most beautiful sets of national currency coins ever. Percy Metcalfe designed the series in 1928 and the florin (later 10 pence) remained in circulation until the introduction of the euro (what awful coins they are!).

The florin is one of my favourite coins and, in my opinion, has the edge over the new UK 50 pence design, simpler yet beautiful.

IMG_2073.thumb.jpeg.488727bdb3144ef1cf303cd0cb9835f7.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Sc391 said:

Some of you boys are tough to please.  I like the coins and looking at them from the perspective of a set of circulating coins, not commemoratives I think the RM designer did a good job of capturing the natural aspects of the UK and getting the blessing of the monarch.  

Unfortunately most people won’t even look at the change in their pocket…….

I admit I’m one of them. 😅

You make a good point though, about these being circulation coins primarily. 

Don't like them - with one exception.

I never liked animals on coins - as exemplified by Aussie or Irish coins.

I won't be buying them.

I do like the 2p simply because I like squirrels.

Roll on the next redesign be that in 20 years or with the change of monarch.