• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Change is Coming! New King Charles 3 definitive designs

10 hours ago, Petra said:

I think the mint has managed to surprise people with their new designs? Look ok, sure in hand the coins will look fine. People just get used to one design, the current ones been around years, when that first came out there were many bad comments about them!😮🤔

I was bowled over by the dismembered shield, it was innovative, modern, yet the designs were historical and really rather detailed.

This is just a rip off of NZ, Australia and Irish coinage. Some of the designs even look like the Irish! Not sure it's very original. I don't like the net curtains either.

37 minutes ago, Chrisplym said:

The silver proof set is showing as currently reserved on the Royal Mint site. Can this really be the case with a mintage of 3,000 and a price of £370? 

Depends on how many of the 3,000 they had to sell. Chards web site shows still available.

Overall the designs are ok  It just doesn't look like British coinage looks more Australian or Canadian.   

They are clean and consistent though  the 3c's remind me of a Louis Vuitton hand bag.  I've only ever seen a dormouse in the wild once and I don't think I'd ever see on again. 

Will be nice to see them in change.   

Edited by GoldDiggerDave

8 hours ago, westminstrel said:

Meanwhile, the 3 interlocked C cypher is also bugging me because the Cs are not completely interlocked (yes, I’m all about details!). The thing looks odd and incomplete, like it was designed using 1998 MS Paint as a starting point, and left unfinished.

You can see the classic style of interlocking on the coronation coins.

Maybe they were keen to avoid all the circulating coins looking like they had Resident Evil biohazard symbols all over them. 

3 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

You can see the classic style of interlocking on the coronation coins.

Maybe they were keen to avoid all the circulating coins looking like they had Resident Evil biohazard symbols all over them. 

YES! They got it right on the Coronation coin. 💛

And heheh. That’s possible. 😬

3 hours ago, SidS said:

I was bowled over by the dismembered shield, it was innovative, modern, yet the designs were historical and really rather detailed.

This is just a rip off of NZ, Australia and Irish coinage. Some of the designs even look like the Irish! Not sure it's very original. I don't like the net curtains either.

I agree with you about the new coins reminding me of some Irish coins.  I've got to say I was pleasantly surprised but the designs - I was fearing something a lot worse.

I've bought a non-precious metal proof set.

They are now saying that the way the numbers are on the coins will help children with adding etc.! The new coins are very different, so do stand out. Unfortunately other countries have or had similar types of designs, hence some comparisons, but these are nice looking. Be a bit like trying to find the different coin designs early on now, once these come in to circulation I am sure people will save their first ones.😮🤔

3 hours ago, westminstrel said:

I like the Puffin coin, for what it’s worth (20p, I suppose!) but that’s because puffins made an impression on me as a child when I read Enid Blyton’s “The Sea of Adventure”.

image.jpeg.7ee93cdaffed3fb887722ce45da7974a.jpeg

Jack takes photos of the birds and their eggs, and Philip befriends two puffins: Huffin and Puffin.

Heheh how cute! ☺️

I loved all those books 😊

When all hope is gone all that’s left is truth. 

55 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

I agree with you about the new coins reminding me of some Irish coins.  I've got to say I was pleasantly surprised but the designs - I was fearing something a lot worse.

I've bought a non-precious metal proof set.

Worth reading this page for anyone else who keeps mentioning Irish coins.

https://www.royalmint.com/annual-sets/2023/definitives/a-journey-towards-nature-embracing-flora-and-fauna-on-british-coinage/

2 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

It's funny, but I like Athenian Owls. In all honesty Ancient Greek coins with animals look great as they are mini sculptures - such deep relief. It works.

2 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

On balance, I think these new definitives are a decent set of designs and I particularly look forward to finding nice examples of the 2p, 50p and £1 in change.  Found my first 2022-dated KCIII 50p in change a couple of weeks ago - I like that design as well.

That is the thing, always checking your change for something! Found a nice £2 coin this week! Probably get a little collection of the new ones found in the change to go with my bunc set😮🤔

On 12/10/2023 at 23:00, westminstrel said:

Okay so I’m late to the party as this was 4 am for me and I was sure nothing would sell out. Well, except that $15,000 gold set, which is pretty but I was never going to queue up for it anyway.

THEME AND DESIGN INTERPRETATION (brutally honest personal opinions incoming…)

Overall nature theme is great. Thanks @paulmerton- you know that I trust your word. 🙂

The design interpretation choice caught me by surprise. Not at all intricate like the designs of old (the way I’d hoped), but definitely very modern and, as some have said, also very Aussie-like.

From their description:

A watershed moment for British coinage, these new designs, more or less for the first time, step away from the heraldry that has dominated for centuries. 

Okay so another brick is pulled from the wall! ☹️ @SeverinDigsSovereigns

Meanwhile, the 3 interlocked C cypher is also bugging me because the Cs are not completely interlocked (yes, I’m all about details!). The thing looks odd and incomplete, like it was designed using 1998 MS Paint as a starting point, and left unfinished.

IMG_7187.jpeg.d0cd12db6e23f5415c90d724a7d8100f.jpeg

The thingey shows up on all the coins in the segment used for the denomination.

IMG_7188.jpeg.ababbc9e1268d9dace67b22e933b68f9.jpeg

As a point of reference, this was the 3p during Charles II’s reign. Design intricacy at its finest!

image.jpeg.aca55fc6846afebae3d4d2ed2d957984.jpeg

PERSONAL FINAL VERDICT

Overall, nothing to brag about and personally leaves me wanting for more; but not really bad either.

Will I get a set? Not yet. I think they’ll  be available on the secondary market below issue price soon enough.

I've actually ordered a set and am hoping to flip. I'll list for £100,000 on ebay and hope some less seasoned new 'collectors' would pick up this historical set😂

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The circulating versions of the 2023 Atlantic salmon 50p seem to be the unexpectedly popular hit from this series.

Due to uncertainties about the mintage, and the fact that it is the only 2023-dated 50p which doesn't have a privy mark, they seem to be worth more than a tenner each all of a sudden.

1 hour ago, paulmerton said:

The circulating versions of the 2023 Atlantic salmon 50p seem to be the unexpectedly popular hit from this series.

Due to uncertainties about the mintage, and the fact that it is the only 2023-dated 50p which doesn't have a privy mark, they seem to be worth more than a tenner each all of a sudden.

🤔😮oooh!🤔 get selling!

5 hours ago, paulmerton said:

Didn't realise they had been released into circulation yet.  Is that true, are they out there in the wild?