• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Change is Coming! New King Charles 3 definitive designs

And you can sign up here…

https://www.royalmint.com/annual-sets/2023/register-you-interest/annual-sets/

IMG_6965.thumb.jpeg.99589fa66b9fc306207381221ef5ed76.jpeg

It has already been a history-making year for His Majesty King Charles III following his historic coronation in May 2023. Soon, he will celebrate another special moment as we unveil his first set of definitive UK coins, which feature brand-new reverse designs for the first time in 15 years.

Sign up for the latest updates on this exciting launch to ensure you don't miss a release that is equally special for His Majesty The King, the United Kingdom and its coinage.

Edited by westminstrel

7 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

I'm sure a lot of us suspected it was going to happen, but the Royal Mint has been exceptionally tight lipped and this is the first official word that they will all have new reverse designs.

This film does not really tell us much!  In fact it does not even state that all the coins will have new reverses.

1 minute ago, Zhorro said:

This film does not really tell us much!  In fact it does not even state that all the coins will have new reverses.

The video's description says:

Soon we will be revealing His Majesty King Charles III’s first set of definitive UK coins, complete with eight brand-new reverse designs.

2 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

1 minute ago, paulmerton said:

The video's description says:

Soon we will be revealing His Majesty King Charles III’s first set of definitive UK coins, complete with eight brand-new reverse designs.

The “Register your interest” page also states this.

Oh goodness… more $$$

Not sure if I’m happy or not lol. 

1 minute ago, westminstrel said:

Oh goodness… more $$$

Not sure if I’m happy or not lol. 

I hope to buy a basic non-precious metal proof set.

Last year's definitives were released with a number of commemorative coins, and the basic proof set cost about £169.  So, this year, hopefully if there are just the definitives, the cost for a basic proof set should be under £100.

14 minutes ago, Olivard said:

Should I presume all these will be dated 2024?

Interesting question!  I was expecting them to be 2023.  And the picture used in the advertising appears to have a "23" at the bottom of the 50p coin.

IMG_6965.thumb.jpeg.99589fa66b9fc306207381221ef5ed76.jpeg

15 hours ago, paulmerton said:

There was supposed to be a new £1 coin design for 2023 anyway, so this would explain the delay.

To be honest I’m glad they are changing ALL the designs.

I’m not British, but as a collector, I never did like the broken up shield / arms design. It just felt a bit juvenile to me (like something I may have thought as being a great idea - as a kid for a school project).

I hope the new designs will revert to being 1) standalone and 2) reminiscent of the heraldic designs from before 2008.

And I loved the broken up shield design. The old £1 coin with the design fully represented was bland.

Yet change can keep things fresh. I hope for something that isn't so low relief it's clip art and a little more embellished than the mundane 1968/71 decimal designs.

16 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

To be honest I’m glad they are changing ALL the designs.

I’m not British, but as a collector, I never did like the broken up shield / arms design. It just felt a bit juvenile to me (like something I may have thought as being a great idea - as a kid for a school project).

I hope the new designs will revert to being 1) standalone and 2) reminiscent of the heraldic designs from before 2008.

Agree.  The broken shield was awful. 

1 hour ago, SidS said:

And I loved the broken up shield design. The old £1 coin with the design fully represented was bland.

Yet change can keep things fresh. I hope for something that isn't so low relief it's clip art and a little more embellished than the mundane 1968/71 decimal designs.

1 hour ago, Olivard said:

Agree.  The broken shield was awful. 

That’s the story of design… what one hates, another loves. 🙂

3 hours ago, westminstrel said:

2) reminiscent of the heraldic designs from before 2008.

Speaking of which, what they could have done with the junilee and memorial sovereigs is adding tincture to the fields of escutcheons (i.e. vertical lines for red "Gules" horizontal for blue "Azure"). Instead everything was plain. The last time they had it on sovereigns was 2002, but tinctures are always present on the Union flag covered Britannia's shield. I guess the younger generations are just forgetting about all these traditions. 

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

1 hour ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

Speaking of which, what they could have done with the junilee and memorial sovereigs is adding tincture to the fields of escutcheons (i.e. vertical lines for red "Gules" horizontal for blue "Azure"). Instead everything was plain. The last time they had it on sovereigns was 2002, but tinctures are always present on the Union flag covered Britannia's shield. I guess the younger generations are just forgetting about all these traditions. 

Oh my gosh YES!!! The “hashing” is one of the things that added depth and dimension to the older heraldic designs on coins. I’ve said a couple times before on here that the newer designers seem too afraid to detail their designs.

P.S.: Love your usage of the accurate terminology (gules and azure). 😎

1 hour ago, westminstrel said:

Oh my gosh YES!!! The “hashing” is one of the things that added depth and dimension to the older heraldic designs on coins. I’ve said a couple times before on here that the newer designers seem too afraid to detail their designs.

P.S.: Love your usage of the accurate terminology (gules and azure). 😎

Heraldry has always been an esoteric subject of interest most people will never relate to. However, it is an integral part of our cultures and plays larger part than it seems in our social fabrics. Same can be said on many things that are subtle and produce little direct revenue, yet forming the backbone of our societies. Invisible, and liveable without, but like invertibrates and less dignified thus. This is why I've always cautioned my Australian friends against a republic, and many other constitutional changes that lack context and will be freely interpretated. 

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.