• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2023 proof sovereigns

refero

I'm the simplest way

I learnt a phrase over a decade ago now, at a business conference and took on board and  adopted .

It was " if you don't innovate, you evaporate "

What applies to business equally applies here with stack/collecting 

Everything is always in a state of change stocks, investing, property, cars, coins, watches, designer handbags etc 

Nothing is ever the same or stops the same.

It's lovely to see 4-5% savings rates back at banks but if inflation is really running at 20% plus for food heat and fuel

it's not a great investment

It's a funny old world. Ain't it ?

Never had these worries when I didnt have a receptacle to intimate into through in my 20s  :)

Edited by Paul

I get your thinking on the number of Memorial Sovs minted @refero  I also see the logic in many of the counter arguments.

I’ve only been stacking/collecting Sovs for a couple of years and thought I had started late missing all the key dates in the modern era which I’m slowly obtaining, I have a gut feeling I could be wrong though.

2022/2023 has been overwhelming with continuous one off designs with what should have just been a platinum jubilee collection.

For someone like me with a limited budget in the current climate, it’s been hell in managing finances to be able to afford all these, as I’m sure is the same with many of us if we were fortunate enough with TRM queue system or dealers/resellers etc.

Here’s the thing though, we have had a single Monarch for 70 years, unprecedented and it won’t be seen again for a few generations, if ever.

Since decimalisation we have had only a single Monarch and we are only now having a new Monarch printed/minted on our currency.

This is history in the making with specific designs for these events which I feel will only be in high demand in future years, possibly more so than the preceding key dates/designs.

Should there have been a memorial collection, it can be argued.  Should there have been so many minted?  imho for such an event did they make enough for all who would want/could afford one?

I’ve managed to obtain these to-date and hope to also purchase a 2023 Coronation year proof also, mind you that will be it, at least until the next Coronation…

It’s wonderful to own these as the current custodian but longer term, it’s a small piece of history to be passed on to the next generation/custodians.

Looking to complete a date run of Bu Sovs and still require; 2010, 2011, 2018 & 2019

On 29/04/2023 at 18:06, GoldDiggerDave said:

Total mintage of 810 2022 Jubilee £5 sovereign minted.   1300 ish for the Memorial £5 (when they publish the mintage) 

Mintage of Proof £5 sovereign 

1887 797

1893 773

1902 (Matt) 8,066

1911 2,812

1937 Edward VIII 6 

1937 George VI 5,501

If you are holding a 2022 Jubilee or a KCIII 2022 memorial 5 set  you are in  very good company, and for me a real pleasure to be a custodian of these coins. 

i have both the platuim jubilie and memorial 4 coin sets few proof sovereigns halfs all graded PF70  and will get the same for the Coronation sets this is history in the making ,they may never reach the hieghts off the 1937's in some peoples eyes but they will soar in time 

• 3 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Frenchie said:

Here are some informations about the coming Proof Coranation Sovereign mintages (not an official source, to be confirmed ! ) 

5 coin set : 1080

4 coins set : no information (probably RM exclusive)

3 coins set 1250

£5 Sovereign (matte ?) : 650

Sovereign 19805

Half Sovereign 5405

Quarter Sovereign 4655

Piedfort Sovereign  1260

Prices would be probably in the range of the Memorial Sovereigns range

That’s a lot of Sovs! Hazard a guess at 865 4 coin sets (would give a total of 23,000 Sovs (in 2023)

Edited by JamesH

1 hour ago, Frenchie said:

Here are some informations about the coming Proof Coranation Sovereign mintages (not an official source, to be confirmed ! ) 

3 coins set 1250

Sovereign 19805

Half Sovereign 5405

Quarter Sovereign 4655

Piedfort Sovereign  1260

The word on the streets is that those mintages are just @GoldDiggerDaves personal allocation.

3 hours ago, Frenchie said:

3 coins set 1250

Sovereign 19805

Half Sovereign 5405

Quarter Sovereign 4655

Piedfort Sovereign  1260

If these figures are correct, it would seem they’ve increased the mintages of the Sovereign, Half Sovereign and Quarter Sovereign quite a margin compared to the Memorial range.

The Piedfort, £5 Proof and £5 Matte are lower.

18 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

If these figures are correct, it would seem they’ve increased the mintages of the Sovereign, Half Sovereign and Quarter Sovereign quite a margin compared to the Memorial range.

The Piedfort, £5 Proof and £5 Matte are lower.

And the matt £5 will have lower mintage than the proof. If I recall correctly the respective versions of Platinum Jubilee and Memorial £5 had the same mintages

Also completely the same as I'd guessed a while ago, hardly any surprising.

Edited by SeverinDigsSovereigns

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

1 hour ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

And the matt £5 will have lower mintage than the proof. If I recall correctly the respective versions of Platinum Jubilee and Memorial £5 had the same mintages

Also completely the same as I'd guessed a while ago, hardly any surprising.

The mintage of the Memorial £5 matte was 1010. The LEP was 1000.

The Coronation £5 matte is touted to be only 650 (give or take about 10).

11 hours ago, Frenchie said:

3 coins set 1250

Sovereign 19805

Half Sovereign 5405

Quarter Sovereign 4655

Piedfort Sovereign  1260

the democratic part of me says hurrayy!!!! with this choice/figures (i guess the RM went this way to maximize profit, giving a sh** to democracy) most of collectors will be able to secure a coronation piece.

the collector part of me swears tho. 19500 memorial, 19800 coronation. Those sovereigns are not going to be "a rarity" that's for sure.

What about obverse/reverse? exactly as per coronation Sotd?

Edited by refero

1 minute ago, refero said:

the democratic part of me says hurrayy!!!! with this choice/figures (i guess the RM went this way to maximize profit, giving a sh** to democracy) most of collectors will be able to secure a coronation piece.

the collector part of me swears tho. 19500 memorial, 19800 coronation. Those sovereigns are not going to be "a rarity" that's for sure.

What about obverse/reverse? exacly as per coronation Sotd?

Buy the £5 and you have democracy and superiority.

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

However many sovereigns are eventually minted will become ‘rare’ because after an initial bout of flipping, they will disappear into collections and never see the light of day. In the past, how many sovereigns etc. ended up in the coronation sets?

1 minute ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

Buy the £5 and you have democracy and superiority.

i m not a £5 big boy :(

more like a simple sovereign fellow

i am considering the 5 coins set tho 

11 hours ago, Frenchie said:

3 coins set 1250

Sovereign 19805

Half Sovereign 5405

Quarter Sovereign 4655

Piedfort Sovereign  1260

Any ideas of the release date?

3 minutes ago, refero said:

i m not a £5 big boy :(

more like a simple sovereign fellow

i am considering the 5 coins set tho 

Size matters when it comes to gold, and other things... (I mean houses and boats, of course)

3 hours ago, westminstrel said:

I do agree that these mintages mean the Coronation Sovereigns, like the Memorials, will also not be going up in value any time in the near to medium term.

With all these releases in the last 9 months (Jubilee range, Jubilee Sovereign , Pattern, SOTDs, Memorial, £5, Piedfort,  Coronation Range, Coronation Sovereigns...) , this is like an endless race with FOMO and wallets are really put to the test and leads (at least for me) to some collector fatigue. 

Difficult choices today between enjoying life, taking some rest  with its little pleasures and  greed that pushes us to buy these highly priced coins  with FOMO which will finally go in a safety box for years 🙄 

The high mintages won't help in the short term. But the Coronation Sovereign will certainly be History and really sought after in the years to come... (as the 1989s) 

But I probably need to take some breath ! 

Is it a shared feeling ? 

Edited by Frenchie

20 minutes ago, Frenchie said:

With all these releases in the last 9 months (Jubilee range, Jubilee Sovereign , Pattern, SOTDs, Memorial, £5, Piedfort,  Coronation Range, Coronation Sovereigns...) , this is like a race with FOMO and wallets are really put to the test and leads (at least for me) to some collector fatigue. 

Difficult choices today between enjoying life, take some rest  with its little pleasures and  greed that pushes us to buy these coins  with FOMO these coins with FOMO which will finally go in a safety box for years 🙄 

The high mintages won't help in the short term. But the Coronation Sovereign will certainly be History and really sought after in the years to come... (as the 1989s) 

But I probably need to take some breath ! 

Is it a shared feeling ? 

Yup. Too many releases, too much expense for a mere mortal like me!

I think I'll skip the Coronation sovereign (I got a SotD), might pick one up if prices drop in the months or years to come.

1 minute ago, TheShinyStuff said:

Yup. Too many releases, too much expense for a mere mortal like me!

I think I'll skip the Coronation sovereign (I got a SotD), might pick one up if prices drop in the months or years to come.

Likewise, I think the SOTD is the key coin (more significant and much lower mintage).  If there is a bullion version of the Coronation sovereign, I would be happy with that.