• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Official Coronation Coin Range Reveal

1 hour ago, Petra said:

Well, I am sure that I am not the only one on here without a mint manager on the end of a phone and not too much spare ££ laying around, plus the obvious queue system to wrangle, so probably more people than you think either getting nothing at all or very little! 🤔🫢

I'm a few reigns behind. I'm yet to find an 1838 coronation sovereign.

8 hours ago, Upsidedown5318008 said:

Will the SOTD coronation sovereign maintain its value as an investment? I dont really know much about collecting and particularly proof coins as I'm new to this.

If kept in mint condition will it only ever be worth its intrinsic value? I'd be worried about losing the massive premium the proof coins come with.

Reposting as it got buried while waiting on post approval

Ad lunam, ad opes ac felicitatem.

"Put the soup down. Today is a caviar day."    -James32

36 minutes ago, Upsidedown5318008 said:

Reposting as it got buried while waiting on post approval

Everything is a bit of a gamble, but for the most part, I’d say the SotDs do retain their premium if only because their mintages are typically much lower than the regular Proof Sovereigns.

On the other hand, many people don’t like the matte finish of the SotDs, and prefer the Proofs, considering them the “real” ones to complete a date run of annual Sovereigns, so there’s that to consider.

Looking at eBay(!) though, I am seeing that most of the SotDs have a decent number of bidders and consistently sell for over issue price. Although I’ve occasionally seen some sell below issue price, I wouldn’t trust to their quality after having been owned by someone else.

21 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Everything is a bit of a gamble, but for the most part, I’d say the SotDs do retain their premium if only because their mintages are typically much lower than the regular Proof Sovereigns.

On the other hand, many people don’t like the matte finish of the SotDs, and prefer the Proofs, considering them the “real” ones to complete a date run of annual Sovereigns, so there’s that to consider.

Looking at eBay(!) though, I am seeing that most of the SotDs have a decent number of bidders and consistently sell for over issue price. Although I’ve occasionally seen some sell below issue price, I wouldn’t trust to their quality after having been owned by someone else.

So as an investment I'd be better off buying 2 standard bullion sovereigns than chancing a single proof one or SOTD at double the bullion cost?

The crowned SOTD seems special, like a piece of history that would be sought after in the future, whether or not that will translate to at least money back though is my issue.

Not as many people seem to like Charles as much as previous monarchs, so there's that too 😅

Ad lunam, ad opes ac felicitatem.

"Put the soup down. Today is a caviar day."    -James32

4 hours ago, Paul said:

Is anyone just sitting out this coronation frenzy completely??

And not buying anything ? 

Me for one.

I've just dumped some shares and will be dribbling the proceeds into bullion sovs over the next few months. None of this mega money limited edition malarkey!

At hopefully sensible premiums.... 🙄

1 hour ago, Upsidedown5318008 said:

So as an investment I'd be better off buying 2 standard bullion sovereigns than chancing a single proof one or SOTD at double the bullion cost?

The crowned SOTD seems special, like a piece of history that would be sought after in the future, whether or not that will translate to at least money back though is my issue.

Not as many people seem to like Charles as much as previous monarchs, so there's that too 😅

My thinking is that bullion is indeed the safest, least risk, approach to take if one is thinking purely in terms of investment, although ofc because gold can also drop, a balanced stack including Proof coins can be good as Proofs typically retain their premiums regardless of drops in gold price.

Also, I usually say “follow your heart” in some aspects. If a Proof coin really appeals to you, maybe go for it, as the enjoyment you’ll get from owning it can’t really be quantified in financial terms.

I will personally go for the Coronation SotD as it is such a historic event - it’s history that I’m living through, and I’d like to collect what I can as a memento of experiencing it during my lifetime. I’m also quite certain it won’t end up being a negative investment.

Goes without saying, but none of this is financial advice… just my own 2c. 🙂

Is it likely the releases will be available for a while when released on the 24th? Or a queue and instant sell out? Only interested in these releases as, like others have said, it's living history. I like the idea of having a commemorative coin for showing the grand kids in 40 years 😂

17 minutes ago, Squashie said:

Is it likely the releases will be available for a while when released on the 24th? Or a queue and instant sell out? Only interested in these releases as, like others have said, it's living history. I like the idea of having a commemorative coin for showing the grand kids in 40 years 😂

I struggle to see a world where this won't be a queue+quick sellout situation. Only way to know for sure though is to ask again on the 25th!

Edited by BOOLIAN

Although I’m happy that the portrait of King Charles has the crown, I really don’t like how it looks.  It was simply added to his regular effigy and you can see his head through it.  Shouldn’t it be less transparent?

2 hours ago, Squashie said:

Now that Royal Mint work with the dealers you don't need to queue in most cases. If you go to the likes of BBP or Chards at release they won't have queues and will have most of the standard stuff at the same price.

10 hours ago, Paul said:

Is anyone just sitting out this coronation frenzy completely??

And not buying anything ? 

id like to get the SoTd. But from what i read yesterday it wont be released on the 24 April so i guess its just a matter of sitting and waiting..

15 minutes ago, refero said:

id like to get the SoTd. But from what i read yesterday it wont be released on the 24 April

I actually didn't catch why SOTD is not expected to be on pre-sale as from 24th April. Are previous sotd sovereigns were sold only from the day they were actually minted?

7 minutes ago, ak74 said:

I actually didn't catch why SOTD is not expected to be on pre-sale as from 24th April. Are previous sotd sovereigns were sold only from the day they were actually minted?

I remember the jubilee SOTD Sovereign was released on the afternoon of 6th Feb 2022 - the same day it was struck - while all of the other coins were released a full month earlier.

I am very certain about that because I was sat in the carpark at the Royal Mint trying to order it on my phone just before going on a tour to get the special SOTD 50p 🤣

20 minutes ago, ak74 said:

From what I have read, the SOTD Sovereign should be available for pre-order on Monday.

46 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

That would be nice!

If for some reason it’s not, the price has already been published (£850), so I’m sure some dealers will allow you to pre-order.  The dealers should also know their allocations on Monday.

31 minutes ago, JeffM said:

If for some reason it’s not, the price has already been published (£850), so I’m sure some dealers will allow you to pre-order.  The dealers should also know their allocations on Monday.

They sure will 👍🏼

14 minutes ago, BOOLIAN said:

Monday as in next week (17th) or the 24th with the rest of the collection?

My mistake!  Apologies.  It’s been a rough week for me and I seem to be pushing the calendar (wishfully).  Everything will be available on the 24th.

1 hour ago, JeffM said:

My mistake!  Apologies.  It’s been a rough week for me and I seem to be pushing the calendar (wishfully).  Everything will be available on the 24th.

Ah, gotcha. Thought I was missing something! Cheers 🙂