• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Official Coronation Coin Range Reveal

1 hour ago, ak74 said:

Do i understand right that 5 pounds coin will have the edge inscription similar to the recent Great Engravers release?

image.thumb.jpeg.d2d1c70ecd2302a993c074043da6bf2c.jpeg

Unlikely. The petition crown were raised letters, and these presumably would be incused. They really messed PC up

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

2 hours ago, ak74 said:

Do i understand right that 5 pounds coin will have the edge inscription similar to the recent Great Engravers release?

image.thumb.jpeg.d2d1c70ecd2302a993c074043da6bf2c.jpeg

I doubt it. Incuse edge lettering is very common. If you look closely at the details of the RM’s coins ranges, most of them have edge lettering, even the cheapie Cupro-Nickel BU ones.

5 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

I doubt it. Incuse edge lettering is very common. If you look closely at the details of the RM’s coins ranges, most of them have edge lettering, even the cheapie Cupro-Nickel BU ones.

I think most of the cupronickel £5 coins don't have edge inscriptions?

6 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

I think most of the cupronickel £5 coins don't have edge inscriptions?

This year and last year itself, many CuNi BU coins have the incuse edge lettering…

Flying Scotsman: LIVE FOR THE JOURNEY

Tolkien: NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST

Edward Jenner: INNOVATION IN SCIENCE · JENNER

Alexander Graham Bell: INNOVATION IN SCIENCE • BELL

Vera Lyn: WE’LL MEET AGAIN

£2 Annual: QUATUOR MARIA VINDICO

2 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

This year and last year itself, many CuNi BU coins have the incuse edge lettering…

Flying Scotsman: LIVE FOR THE JOURNEY

Tolkien: NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST

Edward Jenner: INNOVATION IN SCIENCE · JENNER

Alexander Graham Bell: INNOVATION IN SCIENCE • BELL

Vera Lyn: WE’LL MEET AGAIN

£2 Annual: QUATUOR MARIA VINDICO

Those aren't £5 coins.

All GB bimetallic £2 coins have edge inscriptions as a matter of course, including all of the circulating ones. Only the territories ones don't afaik.

45 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

Those aren't £5 coins.

All GB bimetallic £2 coins have edge inscriptions as a matter of course, including all of the circulating ones. Only the territories ones don't afaik.

Ah I missed you asking specifically about the £5.

Of recent years, these come to mind (there might be more):

2022 Platinum Jubilee: SERVE YOU ALL THE DAYS OF MY LIFE

2021 Queen’s 95th Birthday: FULL OF HONOUR AND YEARS

2020 William Wordsworth: I wandered lonely as a cloud

2020 Royal Albert Hall: INSPIRING ARTS AND SCIENCE

Then I went down a rabbit hole and found these…

2008 60th Birthday of Prince Charles: SIXTIETH BIRTHDAY

2008 The 450th Anniversary of the Accession of Queen Elizabeth I: I HAVE REIGNED WITH YOUR LOVES

2007 The Queen and Prince Philip's Diamond Wedding Anniversary: MY STRENGTH AND STAY

2006 The 80th Birthday of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II: DUTY SERVICE FAITH

2005 The 200th Anniversary of the Death of Horatio Nelson: ENGLAND EXPECTS THAT EVERY MAN WILL DO HIS DUTY

2002 The Queen Mother Memorial Crown: STRENGTH DIGNITY LAUGHTER

2000 The Millennium Crown: WHAT'S PAST IS PROLOGUE

18 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Ah I missed you asking specifically about the £5.

Of recent years, these come to mind (there might be more):

2022 Platinum Jubilee: SERVE YOU ALL THE DAYS OF MY LIFE

2021 Queen’s 95th Birthday: FULL OF HONOUR AND YEARS

2020 William Wordsworth: I wandered lonely as a cloud

2020 Royal Albert Hall: INSPIRING ARTS AND SCIENCE

Then I went down a rabbit hole and found these…

2008 60th Birthday of Prince Charles: SIXTIETH BIRTHDAY

2008 The 450th Anniversary of the Accession of Queen Elizabeth I: I HAVE REIGNED WITH YOUR LOVES

2007 The Queen and Prince Philip's Diamond Wedding Anniversary: MY STRENGTH AND STAY

2006 The 80th Birthday of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II: DUTY SERVICE FAITH

2005 The 200th Anniversary of the Death of Horatio Nelson: ENGLAND EXPECTS THAT EVERY MAN WILL DO HIS DUTY

2002 The Queen Mother Memorial Crown: STRENGTH DIGNITY LAUGHTER

2000 The Millennium Crown: WHAT'S PAST IS PROLOGUE

Yes, not many. I'd not really thought about it before until reading this on the description of the jubilee £5, where a limited number had an inscription (the cheaper, unlimited one had no edge inscription):

The edge inscription, which is an unusual feature for a Brilliant Uncirculated £5 coin, reflects the pledge made by The Queen during her 1952 Christmas message – SERVE YOU ALL THE DAYS OF MY LIFE

45 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

Yes, not many. I'd not really thought about it before until reading this on the description of the jubilee £5, where a limited number had an inscription (the cheaper, unlimited one had no edge inscription):

The edge inscription, which is an unusual feature for a Brilliant Uncirculated £5 coin, reflects the pledge made by The Queen during her 1952 Christmas message – SERVE YOU ALL THE DAYS OF MY LIFE

Yes they were a limited number of the BU wth that inscription in a special package with picture postcards inside. I grabbed a couple for myself - the packaging and extra inclusions were rather nice for the price.

2 hours ago, paulmerton said:

Those aren't £5 coins.

Including the classic cockup:

STANDING ON THE SHOULDERS OF GANTS.

I'm yet to ascertain what a gant is.

Will the SOTD coronation sovereign maintain its value as an investment? I dont really know much about collecting and particularly proof coins as I'm new to this.

If kept in mint condition will it only ever be worth its intrinsic value? I'd be worried about losing the massive premium the proof coins come with.

Ad lunam, ad opes ac felicitatem.

"Put the soup down. Today is a caviar day."    -James32

5 hours ago, SidS said:

Including the classic cockup:

STANDING ON THE SHOULDERS OF GANTS.

I'm yet to ascertain what a gant is.

That's just a worn edge lettering tool rather than a typo isn't it? I see things like 'PEMEMBEP' appearing on many of the Guy Fawkes coins too where the tails of the Rs wear off.

3 hours ago, westminstrel said:

I have one of those 😄

13 minutes ago, Paul said:

Is anyone just sitting out this coronation frenzy completely??

And not buying anything ? 

Well, I am sure that I am not the only one on here without a mint manager on the end of a phone and not too much spare ££ laying around, plus the obvious queue system to wrangle, so probably more people than you think either getting nothing at all or very little! 🤔🫢

1 hour ago, paulmerton said:

That's just a worn edge lettering tool rather than a typo isn't it? I see things like 'PEMEMBEP' appearing on many of the Guy Fawkes coins too where the tails of the Rs wear off.

Some people spout nonsense that the tail of the letter R is merely hidden by the edge milling, but here's a cool partial collar error one I have that proves it wasn't properly there in the first place when the coin was struck!

image.thumb.png.b99fa2de6fd6b38d0dda91f909a7f150.png

20 minutes ago, Paul said:

I'll almost certainly be sitting this one out. The coins mostly don't interest me apart from the SotD Sov and with that being £850 at what you have to guess will be a higher mintage than previous SotD Sovs..  I'm not sure its worth while.

2 minutes ago, Petra said:

so probably more people than you think either getting nothing at all or very little!

I am going to buy some silver proofs, and I think they will be available from the RM and EU dealers for several hours at least. By the way, seems quite unusual that Ounce 2oz silver "limited edition presentation" number is less than 5oz ones.

2 minutes ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

I'll almost certainly be sitting this one out. The coins mostly don't interest me apart from the SotD Sov and with that being £850 at what you have to guess will be a higher mintage than previous SotD Sovs..  I'm not sure its worth while.

Thankfully the mintage can only be so high if they're all struck on the same day!

The mint is open to visitors for 24 hours on the coronation day (crazy!), and if a machine is staffed for that whole period then it could feasibly churn out 1600 or so taking into account die preparation and so on. Maybe they'll have two machines on it, who knows.

The only potential issue is what do you do if your coins arrives in an unsatisfactory state? I suspect they won't be able to replace it with a restrike if it's meant to be a SOTD?

6 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

Thankfully the mintage can only be so high if they're all struck on the same day!

The mint is open to visitors for 24 hours on the coronation day (crazy!), and if a machine is staffed for that whole period then it could feasibly churn out 1600 or so taking into account die preparation and so on. Maybe they'll have two machines on it, who knows.

The only potential issue is what do you do if your coins arrives in an unsatisfactory state? I suspect they won't be able to replace it with a restrike if it's meant to be a SOTD?

That is true that they can only produce so much in a day but as you say they could get a second machine going - it'll be interesting to see what the mintage is. The last of these I bought was the SOTD Platinum Jubilee Sov which had a mintage of 1200 and cost £675. The value of gold is up just over £100/oz on where it was last year but that is nowhere near enough to justify a £175 price increase.

I didn't know that The Mint was open 24 hours for the coronation day. I guess that makes sense given how things were last year for the platinum jubilee day. I managed to get down for that last year booking in one of the slots towards the end of the day. By that point the staff seemed well aware everyone was just there for the SYO 50p so we were ushered through the rest as quick as possible to get to the SYO point. They must have really raked it in to now extend it to a 24hr day. Crazy as you say.

13 minutes ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

That is true that they can only produce so much in a day but as you say they could get a second machine going - it'll be interesting to see what the mintage is. The last of these I bought was the SOTD Platinum Jubilee Sov which had a mintage of 1200 and cost £675. The value of gold is up just over £100/oz on where it was last year but that is nowhere near enough to justify a £175 price increase.

I didn't know that The Mint was open 24 hours for the coronation day. I guess that makes sense given how things were last year for the platinum jubilee day. I managed to get down for that last year booking in one of the slots towards the end of the day. By that point the staff seemed well aware everyone was just there for the SYO 50p so we were ushered through the rest as quick as possible to get to the SYO point. They must have really raked it in to now extend it to a 24hr day. Crazy as you say.

Topically, the tickets for the coronation tours went on sale 20 minutes ago :D 

1 hour ago, Paul said:

I will only try for the SotD. The other designs are not really spectacular (imo) and given the RM hasn’t specified the max mintages, I’m sure I’ll be able to grab one of the silvers at a bargain in a year once the Coronation frenzy has died off.

1 hour ago, paulmerton said:

If it is a strike your own, surely you only have yourself to blame if the coin is not perfect!

Edited by Zhorro
typo