• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Official Coronation Coin Range Reveal

11 hours ago, Sc391 said:

Please excuse my ignorance as an American, but is the crown the King is wearing the same one that Victoria wore in some of her coins (gothic crown, florin, etc)

It's actually the Tudor crown in British heraldry. If you look at some coat of arms there usually are crowns or coronets above the escutcheons. Our late Queen used St. Edwards crown on her coat of arms, and there will be some modification on all the coas this year onwards. The only difference is the shape of the arc. You could find pictures here https://www.trimtag.com/return-of-the-tudor-crown/

The actual Tudor crown was vandalised by the traitor Cromwell, and the St. Edwards crown has been used since. The Imperial state crown was created much later and I don't think it has a heraldic interpretation. 

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

21 minutes ago, refero said:

they managed to ruin the beauty and the charm of a coronation... i m spechless

what was wrong in just following the bloody tradition and issuing a coronation set like in the past?

I think the difficulty might be that we're decimalised. It's difficult for the general public to appreciate crowns, half-crowns and florins, etc.

Also I personally don't like the idea of a crowned portrait, as there was no precedence of a male monarch wearing it on sovereigns, and I am a traditionalist. Alas still can't resist to buy.

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

3 hours ago, harrygill111 said:

s this the Sovereign pipeline for 2023? 

Coronation:

BU Matte SOTD G&D sovereign with crowned Effigy 

Proof Special design sovereign with crowned Effigy

Regular Issue's (G&D / Special/ both?)

Bullion sovereign 

Proof Sovereign 

Birthday specials

King Charles 75th Birthday SOTD/Privy 

Prince George is 10 (blimey time flies!) 

Are you sure there will also be a proof coronation sovereign? (in addition to the SotD BU one); 

What the RM states it's not so clear to me

It is indeed mentioned  (quoting) .::" In addition, the collection will also include a very limited number of Sovereigns struck on 6 May 2023, the day of the coronation, as the perfect way for collectors to commemorate this momentous occasion. This is the first opportunity to own a 2023 Sovereign. The rest of the Coronation Sovereign collection will be released later in the year and will be available in a variety of Proof editions.

Not the best wording... 

"The rest of the Coronation Sovereign collection will be released later in the year and will be available in a variety of Proof editions"

To me, that says there's a special Cornoation proof in the pipeline, which is probably going to be Charles with the Crown but no idea about the reverse. 

Quite strange that they are not releasing it in May!

24 minutes ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

I think the difficulty might be that we're decimalised. It's difficult for the general public to appreciate crowns, half-crowns and florins, etc.

Also I personally don't like the idea of a crowned portrait, as there was no precedence of a male monarch wearing it on sovereigns, and I am a traditionalist. Alas still can't resist to buy.

Depends how far back you go with sovereigns. I'm sure Henry VII had a crown.

50 minutes ago, refero said:

they managed to ruin the beauty and the charm of a coronation... i m spechless

what was wrong in just following the bloody tradition and issuing a coronation set like in the past?

I think it's a stretch to refer to tradition, when it hasn't happened for 70 years. 

25 minutes ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

They were selling 2016 sixpences...

There's nothing to say that they couldn't do a long set as:

£5 commem in gold

£2-£1 bimetallic in gold and silver

50p-5p in silver

2p & 1p in bronze

Chuck in the Maundy coins and you've got the modern version of the long set.

13 minutes ago, SidS said:

Depends how far back you go with sovereigns. I'm sure Henry VII had a crown.

I was thinking of the post-1817 sovereigns. Not sure if they did collectible sets back in the Tudor days... "General public", in other words peasants who had never saw a piece of gold in their entire lives. 

10 minutes ago, SidS said:

They were selling 2016 sixpences...

There's nothing to say that they couldn't do a long set as:

£5 commem in gold

£2-£1 bimetallic in gold and silver

50p-5p in silver

2p & 1p in bronze

Chuck in the Maundy coins and you've got the modern version of the long set.

SHHHH you're giving them ideas

38 minutes ago, harrygill111 said:

Agreed. I'm sure there is a reason for it, but it feels like a bit of an oversight to release it before people have their paychecks.

37 minutes ago, SeverinDigsSovereigns said:

Not sure if they did collectible sets back in the Tudor days...

They did do presentation pieces. I believe these were struck from the same dies as the other 'circulation' sovereigns, but they were twice the weight or something along those lines. I'm no expert on the Tudor era though and the gold coins are well out of my humble budget.

2 minutes ago, SidS said:

They did do presentation pieces. I believe these were struck from the same dies as the other 'circulation' sovereigns, but they were twice the weight or something along those lines. I'm no expert on the Tudor era though and the gold coins are well out of my humble budget.

A sovereign "date run" that include the Tudor sovereigns... Could be 7 digits. A post 1817 date&mint mark run could also fetch millions, just think about the 1920S, the Edward VIII and 1953. One could only dream...

1 hour ago, harrygill111 said:

Also, they don't have much time to release them as the 2024 Sovereign is due in October!

Looking for 1965, 1981 and 1983-1984 GOLD Ghanaian coins

"I was suspected of having included the form of a bird whispering into the king’s ear. This was a nice conceit. I’m not crafty enough to have thought it up myself, but I am forced to admit that the tragus I modelled (a prominence at the front of the outer ear) and the folds beneath it do look surprisingly avian."

3 hours ago, refero said:

Are you sure there will also be a proof coronation sovereign? (in addition to the SotD BU one); 

What the RM states it's not so clear to me

It is indeed mentioned  (quoting) .::" In addition, the collection will also include a very limited number of Sovereigns struck on 6 May 2023, the day of the coronation, as the perfect way for collectors to commemorate this momentous occasion. This is the first opportunity to own a 2023 Sovereign. The rest of the Coronation Sovereign collection will be released later in the year and will be available in a variety of Proof editions.

You will probably have a second opportunity to own a 2023 Sovereign when the rest of the Coronation Sovereign collection (proofs) are released.

8 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

You will probably have a second opportunity to own a 2023 Sovereign when the rest of the Coronation Sovereign collection (proofs) are released.

so you too do think there will be a Sotd Coronation (BU) and then a Proof Coronation with the very same obverse and reverse (one just being a BU and the other a Proof)? and later on during the year a "normal" Proof/Bullion 2023 coinage?

4 minutes ago, refero said:

so you too do think there will be a Sotd Coronation (BU) and then a Proof Coronation with the very same obverse and reverse (one just being a BU and the other a Proof)? and later on during the year a "normal" Proof/Bullion 2023 coinage?

I think it is seeming likely that there will be a proof sovereign (with crowned head) when the Coronation Sovereign sets are released.  I do not know whether there will be an proof uncrowned head 2023 sovereign, or which head will be on the bullion sovereign.

5 minutes ago, refero said:

I do not believe there will be any “normal” Sovereign this year.

I think there will just be the Proof Coronation Sovereign range mid-year, potentially with a bullion run, and then back to the regular schedule of the 2024 Proof Sovereign released at the end of this year.

Of course there will most likely be another SotD this year for KC III’s 75th Birthday. I imagine this could be similar to the Coronation Sovereign but with a 75 privy in a crown (like they did with QE II’s 65th Sapphire Jubilee in 2018 and 95th Birthday in 2021).

Meanwhile, more images and a video.

It looks like these coins are already being struck, as you can see production is well underway, and KC III was also today given the commemorative £5 gold coin by Anne Jessop and Rebecca Morgan.

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/uk-news/2023/04/13/coronation-coins-to-feature-first-ever-crowned-effigy-of-king-charles-iii/

image.thumb.png.0a6892cf3addc2d9d0a9d2423a23de43.png

Edited by westminstrel