• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Proof Britannias 2023 Released today

4 hours ago, SiCole said:

Is it just me or does her nose look like Michael Jackson’s in the Eminem Just lose it video?

5DC5BF65-5171-47F0-9CA4-AB882B0DD743.jpeg

The nose definitely looks a bit odd, and I wonder if it’s just an unfortunate angle and the light during photography. And then they’ve photoshopped the same image for all the denominations.

Because in the artist’s sketch the nose looks fine.

image.jpeg.ed97899021d5226838948c7d2e555382.jpeg

4 hours ago, westminstrel said:

The nose definitely looks a bit odd, and I wonder if it’s just an unfortunate angle and the light during photography. And then they’ve photoshopped the same image for all the denominations.

Because in the artist’s sketch the nose looks fine.

image.jpeg.ed97899021d5226838948c7d2e555382.jpeg

I agree with this. I think it's an unfortunate shadow/reflection when the photo was taken. It will be interesting to see how these look in the wild.

I’m definitely in love with this design.

The imagery of the mythological Greek Hippocampi drawing Britannia’s sea-chariot emblazoned with the Lion of England feels very inspired, and combined with it being the first Britannia depiction of KC III’s reign, it makes it an instant classic for me.

The resemblance to a figure of myth rising out of the sea is very appealing to me.

image.jpeg.2d8805362f204cd3ad660f569d107dd8.jpeg

A Hippocampus (aka Sea-horse)

Edited by westminstrel

34 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Okay so definitely just unfortunate lighting.

Here’s the reverse proof silver, zoom in, and the nose looks alright.

image.thumb.jpeg.b8d3aa3c9187d4679747cd9744415a58.jpeg

The nose is an unfortunate distraction from a certain angle. Distracts from what an awful overall design it is!🤔😮

Did anyone else get a call from there account manager offering a reverse proof gold set mintage of 50 

I was in the car when she called and wasn’t interested it was £3400 if I remember correctly she said it’s not on the website there was also some silver set that was also not available on the Royal mint website only for people who got the call.  I asked if she could send me some photos but she said it wasn’t allowed. 

3 minutes ago, Spanishsilver said:

Did anyone else get a call from there account manager offering a reverse proof gold set mintage of 50 

I was in the car when she called and wasn’t interested it was £3400 if I remember correctly she said it’s not on the website there was also some silver set that was also not available on the Royal mint website only for people who got the call.  I asked if she could send me some photos but she said it wasn’t allowed. 

@Chrisplym and @Paul

9 minutes ago, Spanishsilver said:

I also got the offer from my AM in silver (350) and gold (50 fractional reverse proof set. Not reasonable decision, I decided to pass on the gold sets (only got the 2 coins silver set- PF and RP)  but I am tempted about these RP sets   

2 minutes ago, Frenchie said:

I also got the offer from my AM in silver (350) and gold (50 fractional reverse proof set. Not reasonable decision, I decided to pass on the gold sets (only got the 2 coins silver set- PF and RP)  but I am tempted about these RP sets   

1 minute ago, Spanishsilver said:

I’m not even sure if there was a full oz but there was a 10th 20th and 40th I wasn’t really listening to be honest 

Thanks, fractional makes sense at that price.

I’d be curious to see pics whenever someone gets them. I have a soft spot for these reverse proofs, and I like this design, so would’ve loved to own them in gold (but not at £3,500). 

4 minutes ago, Chrisplym said:

I also received the call.

Both sets include 1, 1/4, 1/20 and 1/40 oz coins. The gold costs £3,340 and the silver costs £165.

Even were I offered these, I’d only have been able to afford the silver set, and I paid as much for the 2-coin silver set which I’m happy with as I think such designs need a larger diameter to be fully appreciated anyway.

Now I’d they’d done a 5oz silver reverse proof set, I’d be orgasming! 😍

21 minutes ago, Spanishsilver said:

I’m not even sure if there was a full oz but there was a 10th 20th and 40th I wasn’t really listening to be honest 

1oz, 1/4, 1/20, and 1/40,

With the 1oz included, it seems interesting for a mintage of 50...even for the silver set with a mintage of 350 for the fractional. The silver RP 1oz is a little bit diluted with the 2 coins set

A two Oz gold reverse proof would be fab and I think I would have went for. But not fussed about squinting at a 1/40th 

Going to give this a pass, but think ithe 1oz could do ok when graded and.with just 50 mintage. The RRPs now just always make it hard to see value or potential to rise in value these days 

19 minutes ago, Frenchie said:

1oz, 1/4, 1/20, and 1/40,

With the 1oz included, it seems interesting for a mintage of 50...even for the silver set with a mintage of 350 for the fractional. The silver RP 1oz is a little bit diluted with the 2 coins set

It now makes sense why they didn’t mention the max coin mintage of the 1 Oz silver reverse proof on the 2-coin set’s product page. 😏

56 minutes ago, Paul said:

A two Oz gold reverse proof would be fab and I think I would have went for. But not fussed about squinting at a 1/40th 

Going to give this a pass, but think ithe 1oz could do ok when graded and.with just 50 mintage. The RRPs now just always make it hard to see value or potential to rise in value these days 

A 2oz gold reverse proof would indeed be a sight to behold. 😍

I agree about the fractional sizes - they’re just too tiny to be bothered with unless the intention is to flip. 

Edited by westminstrel

19 hours ago, James32 said:

Mermaid horses and worzel gummidge as lady Britannia. Very nice!

Oh, that may explain it; I thought it was Britannia on cocaine in this version ................. :unsure:

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in.

1 hour ago, westminstrel said:

A 2oz gold reverse proof would indeed be a sight to behold. 😍

I agree about the fractional sizes - they’re just too tiny to be bothered with unless the intention is to flip. 

Didn't we think the same way about the quarter memorial Sovereign ? These fractional are the first reverse proof coins in the Britannia range ?