• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Proof Britannias 2023 Released today

I have got some information about the reverse proof sets....not so interesting

Fractional silver set . Total mintage 1550, & 350 sold by the RM, the rest sold by their trade department . RRP £165, so a mintage upped from 520 (2 coins silver set) to 2070 for the 1oz silver reverse proof 1oz with this fractional set combined :( 

Fractional gold set . Total mintage 250 and 50 sold by the RM, the rest sold by their trade department RRP £3340 So the RP 1oz gold has a higher mintage than  the proof :(

I'll only buy a silver reverse proof set however

Edited by Frenchie

10 minutes ago, Frenchie said:

I have got some information about the reverse proof sets....not so interesting

Fractional silver set . Total mintage 1550, & 350 sold by the RM, the rest sold by their trade department . RRP £165, so a mintage upped to 2070 for the 1oz silver reverse proof 1oz :( 

Fractional gold set . Total mintage 250 and 50 sold by the RM, the rest sold by their trade department RRP £3340 So the RP 1oz goldas a higher mintage than  the proof :(

I'll only buy a silver reverse proof set however

Becoming clearer and clearer why the max coin mintages were missing from the webpage listings. 🫤

Anyway I’m still happy I got the 1 Oz silver proof and reverse proof set. 

16 minutes ago, Frenchie said:

Fractional gold set . Total mintage 250 and 50 sold by the RM, the rest sold by their trade department RRP £3340 So the RP 1oz goldas a higher mintage than  the proof :(

Also, the max coin mintage of the 1 Oz gold is NOT mentioned here…

https://www.royalmint.com/britannia/commemorative/2023/the-britannia-premium-six-coin-old-proof-set/ 

… so I guess the jury is still out on whether the 1 Oz gold reverse proof has the higher mintage.

Edited by westminstrel

I picked up a nice little 4 coin fractional set in silver.  It’s a reverse proof set made in a fairly limited mintage.  1 oz, 1/10, 1/20, and 1/40.  It’s the only way to get the little ones.  Gold was more than I wanted to spend with all the other excitement coming this year.  (Picked up the two coin set on issue day)

***correction it’s 1oz, 1/4 oz (not 1/40), 1/10, and 1/20*******

54C87BC2-4A23-45C8-984E-E23108F1083B.jpeg

Edited by Sc391
Incorrect info on sizes

3 hours ago, Sc391 said:

I picked up a nice little 4 coin fractional set in silver.  It’s a reverse proof set made in a fairly limited mintage.  1 oz, 1/10, 1/20, and 1/40.  It’s the only way to get the little ones.  Gold was more than I wanted to spend with all the other excitement coming this year.  (Picked up the two coin set on issue day)

How you got this set? Through the website?

@SilverPlatinum it was through my account manager- when you spend higher amounts with the RM they offer special releases of products like this one.  They had a beautiful gold rev proof set for £3450 but it was more than I had budgeted to spend.

I believe the Royal Canadian Mint has a similar perk for their high spending Masters Club members.

11 hours ago, Sc391 said:

That 1/40 Oz is tennie tiny like a button. 

2 hours ago, westminstrel said:

That 1/40 Oz is tennie tiny like a button. 

I really don't understand the motivation of the RM for these  ridiculous 1/40th oz coins...A 1/10th would have been more appropriate, and this is not even a matter of metal cost  (at least for silver)  

Edited by Frenchie

17 hours ago, Sc391 said:

@SilverPlatinum it was through my account manager- when you spend higher amounts with the RM they offer special releases of products like this one.  They had a beautiful gold rev proof set for £3450 but it was more than I had budgeted to spend.

I believe the Royal Canadian Mint has a similar perk for their high spending Masters Club members.

Thanks. Yes the Royal Canadian Mint has a Masters Club privilege (I'm  a gold member). 

15 minutes ago, SilverPlatinum said:

The link you provided says "Proof" only. However what "Sc391" mentioned was "Reverse Proof".

Oh yes, you are right...At the same time, the outer box photo at theKoinClub reads "reverse frosted set".

So if I were interested I'd contact them, maybe they don't 100% know what they sell :) 

image.png.51e37bf212d0d4c82bd0e4a3fd44949b.png

When I look at the 6 coin set at £5035 I am reminded of the first 1987 Britannia 4 coin set I bought in 1997 for £575. I had just started collecting and saw it in a gold dealers shop in the Charing Cross Rd, and had to have it!  After all the Britannia image was the emblem of my Father’s ‘The Royal Norfolk Regiment’ based at the ‘Britannia Barracks’ in Norwich, and thus my avatar!
All my other proof sets have 4 coins (Britannia & Sovereign) and that’s the way I like them. The only exception is the 5 coin Panda set which came with a 1/20th! Today, I am amazed at the RMs extra revenue strategy of adding smaller sizes ie, the 20th & 40th oz. Perhaps next year there will be an 80th oz, with a free magnifying glass! Mention has been made of the 1/4 Sovereign, another unwelcome addition IMO. It never existed in circulation. What next at the 1oz end -  Piedforts, reverse proofs, plain edge, matte finish, 2oz, SotD? Oh Whoops, sorry that’s already happened!…….😳

F3AEF2D6-EEC7-4EFB-A971-D06C5F71522F.jpeg

Edited by Britannia47
Addition of photo

14 hours ago, Zhorro said:

Most of the proof Britannias that were available from the RM are still on sale.  Only the 2 coin set with reverse frosting, the the platinum quarter ounce are sold out.  Is this a sign that the market has reached saturation point?

They have overdone it a bit recently I feel. Obviously the Memorial series was unexpected but the amount of coins they did was too many, especially on top of the already planned release schedule that they've continued with.

I imagine a lot of people are also waiting to see what happens for the coronation in the next few weeks, and will be holding off. Hopefully once we get past that point releases will get back to normal for 2024 issues.