• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2023 Stacking goals? The year ahead

I hope to be able to keep stacking in 2023 with everything still on the up.

• Also have a 2022 Memorial proof incoming in the new year
  • Would like to pick up the bullion version
  • Saving for the 2023 KCIII Coronation

To be honest, anything else at this stage will be a bonus...

Looking to complete a date run of Bu Sovs and still require; 2010, 2011, 2018 & 2019

Providing I don’t have to liquidate the stack to get me through 2023… 🙄

I’d like to finally get a ‘57 Gillick,

Add some more bullion sovereigns (probably Gillicks, but maybe some 2022 / 2023’s too - 12 would be nice!

See if I can find something older than my current oldest coin (153 years at time of writing)

Add the odd nice silver piece to the Silver Stacktion (is it a Stack or is is a Collection? 🤔) and maybe even the odd 10oz Una & the Lion bar if they pop up at reasonable prices 😁

And hopefully track down a sealed roll of 2020 1oz Oriental Border Britannias…

But frankly, any additions to the stack would mean I’m making a few quid, so here’s hoping that I’m able ☺️

I'm working my way toward owning a kg of gold. All being well I should be able to buy about 100 grams in 2023 and pass the half way point.

As usual I will promise to keep away from proofs and overpriced special issues and concentrate on bullion sovereigns and bars. As usual I will break my promise, probably during January.

Will get 3 or 4 2023 sovereigns and have been hankering after a 1oz poured gold bar for ages, hopefully 2023 will be the year I get one. 

I think I'm on about 4kg of silver so getting to 5kg should be doable, made up mostly of 1oz coins. 

4 hours ago, Paul said:

2023 Stacking goals? The year ahead

In the spirit of "2022 stacking goals" threads what's folk plans for the year ahead ?

It looks like France has stacked more goals than England recently.

In fact on Saturday night, our party of about 30 Brits (people not coins), were having dinner in our Hotel in Tignes, France, while a similar number of French were watching the World Cup football match in the nearby hotel bar. At 17 minutes, there was an eruption. Some of us got to watch the last 20 minutes, in a atmosphere of friendly rivalry.

I guess we all had a lot in common, as we were all skiers.

Chards

13 hours ago, SeatonKev said:

I'm working my way toward owning a kg of gold. All being well I should be able to buy about 100 grams in 2023 and pass the half way point.

As usual I will promise to keep away from proofs and overpriced special issues and concentrate on bullion sovereigns and bars. As usual I will break my promise, probably during January.

Will get 3 or 4 2023 sovereigns and have been hankering after a 1oz poured gold bar for ages, hopefully 2023 will be the year I get one. 

I think I'm on about 4kg of silver so getting to 5kg should be doable, made up mostly of 1oz coins. 

Probably none better/cheaper than these

https://www.bairdmint.com/products/1oz-gold-cast-bar

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

2023?

Subject to things being ok....

SILVER

Im collecting the 2oz silver Queens Beasts here and there (just a sideline when nothing else is on the radar).

The Tudor Beasts 2023 2oz silver later in the year.

Hand full of 2023 Brits and Royal Arms with Charles III.

Id LOVE a 10oz Silver Brit. Saw one for sale on here and missed it by not making my mind up quick enough.

GOLD

At least 1 more 2022 Sovereign 

2023 Queens Head 1/10 Brit (fingers crossed, i may be in a position to look at buying later this week but if not....).

A 2023 Charles III 1/4 & 1/10 Brittanias.

2X 2023 Sovereigns

1x 2023 Double Sovereign 

Couple of 1g bars just because...

A 1oz Gold coin just because i havnt got one. 

Not a big list but then, i havnt got a lot to spend 😄

Mostly gold, mainly CGT-exempt.

• I'd like to get to about 25-30 sovereigns in total, some mix of heads covering all the major portraits that actually appeared in bullion (at least from Victoria onwards), mostly pre-decimal. 
  • Maybe a Maklouf proof if one comes up at a reasonable price, but I'm not really interested in buying stuff with a high numismatic premium - too much downside risk if one needs to flog it quickly.
  • Other things - although I'm quite happy with the size of my sovereigns I'd like to get a larger cast bar to fondle - at least 1oz or maybe 50g.  Assay carded bars aren't much use in that regard, and I suspect bars larger than 50g will be too expensive for most folks, so maybe hard to shift.  Maybe some more 1g bars as trade goods and possibly presents.
  • A couple of 1oz coins - likely Brits because CGT.

Mostly I'm focusing on stuff that could be shifted readily on the secondary market, with some overlap in larger items that could either be sold here or to a dealer without getting clobbered too much on the premium.  I think the largest items that meet both requirements would sit in the 1oz to 50g range.

Over the next few years I'd like to get to about 20 oz or so.  Next year I will also start spinning up a SIPP, which will likely also carry some gold, so my stacking may well be split between physical and vaulted in the SIPP. 

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

2 hours ago, Petra said:

They are really generous with the discounts if you buy five or more!🤔😮

They tend to be pretty cheap even on smaller quantities, but their shipping starts around £11 so it evens out.  If you're buying 2-3 sovs from them they tend to be pretty good value.  They run their own refinery so you're buying from the manufacturer, so to speak - their gold and silver bars tend to be the best value of any of the dealers.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

14 minutes ago, Fenlander1 said:

Goals for next year just keep increasing and learning. But mainly gold 1oz coins.

I suggest you consider sovereigns as well.  They are also exempt from CGT and very, very liquid on the secondary market here (i.e. easy to sell). That means you can get a significantly better price than you would selling back to a dealer, so the spreads are effectively between the dealer price to buy and the street price here.  You can also keep an eye on the listings here and buy sovs on the UK ungraded board as they come up.

Edited by Silverlocks

1 minute ago, Fenlander1 said:

Thank you sounds good to me I was trying to to decide whether to have a few sovereigns or a few of the fractional gold coins but I can see soverigns are very popular on here.🙂

1oz gold coin ( lowest premium usually) but buyer pool has reduced for obvious reasons. Still sell well when priced right.

Sovereigns ( second lowest premium usually, but that seems to be changing with premium rising) fastest seller and huge buyer's pool when priced right. 

1/4oz coin ( highest premium usually) but still a decent buyer's pool and usually get premium back on exit.

Basically stick to CGT free items and spot price depending, all will sell well when priced realistically. 

Buy right and sell right is the motto 👌 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

4 minutes ago, Fenlander1 said:

Thank you sounds good to me I was trying to to decide whether to have a few sovereigns or a few of the fractional gold coins but I can see soverigns are very popular on here.🙂

Sovereigns are really the best of the fractional gold coins for stacking.  Because of the large numbers produced, they are very common, so the premium over spot and dealer spreads are lower than other fractional gold (compare the premium to a 1/4oz Brit, for example).  This makes them quite efficient for investing in gold.

Also, they are very liquid - if you take a look at the UK ungraded board they trade all the time.  I've seen folks rock up with 50-100 sovs and unload them here within a week.  This means that the real spread you need to pay attention to is not the dealer margin, but the difference between the dealer price and the street price here, as you will likely have little or no trouble selling them on the secondary market.

1 hour ago, Silverlocks said:

They tend to be pretty cheap even on smaller quantities, but their shipping starts around £11 so it evens out.  If you're buying 2-3 sovs from them they tend to be pretty good value.  They run their own refinery so you're buying from the manufacturer, so to speak - their gold and silver bars tend to be the best value of any of the dealers.

I was actually taking the micky, their discount is terrible.

Just now, Petra said:

I was actually taking the micky, their discount is terrible.

The base price is pretty good, but they load a bit on the shipping so it kind of evens out.  Ergo, you don't see really steep discounts for volume.

23 hours ago, Paul said:

In the spirit of "2022 stacking goals" threads what's folk plans for the year ahead ?

Who's doing what ?  We all know what @James32 will be doing  old lady cleaning GIF

Myself 

• Hopefully full exit my silver position selling off my last few 100 oz of it by end of the first quarter
  • I will enjoy the 2022 Charles five and four set when they arrive in Jan/Feb - ordered and paid for
  • Got budget set aside to keep my 2oz gold Great Engravers series going when it launches
  • Hopefully pick a big £5 gold for whatever lands in May for the Charles Coronation  
  • and in between keep an eye on Coin Cabinet's regular auctions for anything unpopular/under priced on the day as and when budget allows 

Is James' full name James Edgar Hoover? 🤔

I'm hoping to pick up another £10 face in pre-1920 silver, and about £3 face in pre-1816 silver.

That will complete my pre-1816 stack.

Then there'll be only £10 to go on my pre-1920 stack. Which will be left to 2024.

Maybe a few Albert chains too.