• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Discovery of Tutankhamen's tomb - new royal mint release 9am

5 minutes ago, DeepSpace said:

So do you think these will be a part of another set going forward? What's the deal with the other 760 coins?

It is difficult to know why there is such a large disparity in numbers. The RM might have sent some off for grading?  Or it might be a "Strike Your Own" at the Royal Mint Experience in Wales?

6 hours ago, Zhorro said:

It is difficult to know why there is such a large disparity in numbers. The RM might have sent some off for grading?  Or it might be a "Strike Your Own" at the Royal Mint Experience in Wales?

Perhaps they are starting a "pyramid" marketing scheme!

😎

Chards

15 hours ago, SilverPlatinum said:

In my opinion it's an ugly coin (and expensive).........

Interesting!

I take the polar opposite view - I think it's great. Here's why . . .

It's highly stylised, obviously, which is in stark contrast to most RM offerings. The thick lateral lines of the pharaoh's headdress give a real sense of depth and scale, further helped by the way they break out of the circular dot and arrowhead detailing around the coin's edge. The viewing angle is slightly upwards, indicating the pharaoh is positioned above us - as befits a king. His androgynous characteristics are very evident: perhaps weighted slightly too far towards female? - but I guess that's a sign of the times! The fine radius lines in the background are an old trick, but used very effectively here to frame the head and thrust it forward. They also provide a lovely textural contrast to the 'skin' of the face. The only areas where I think the artist could, possibly, have done better is to define the features of the right hand serpent a little better and, for my liking, the two parallel(ish) lines on the pharaoh's neck look a tad out of place. I'm not sure what they're supposed to be: some evidence of jewellery perhaps - but surely they're not meant to wrinkle lines? These minor criticisms aside, I think the design is simple, bold and very striking and I'm surprised the coins haven't sold like hot cakes. Needless to say, I've bought one! I give the design 7/10! 

Edited by timsk

19 minutes ago, timsk said:

the two parallel(ish) lines on the pharaoh's neck look a tad out of place. I'm not sure what they're supposed to be: some evidence of jewellery perhaps - but surely they're not meant to wrinkle lines?

That would be great to ask ancient Egyptians, what they meant by adding these neck lines to the Tutankhamun’s gold mask ;)

116be95f7d83b786550c3b1734913fb2.jpg