• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

King Charles III: Coins to enter circulation, Royal Mint confirms

Orpster

As surmised in other posts, looks like Charlie and QEII coins will co-exist for some time to come, nothing on already announces commemorative coins though

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-63039747?utm_campaign=2022-09-her-majesty&utm_content=222491265&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&hss_channel=fbp-197613716979882

3 hours ago, Orpster said:

As surmised in other posts, looks like Charlie and QEII coins will co-exist for some time to come, nothing on already announces commemorative coins though

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-63039747?utm_campaign=2022-09-her-majesty&utm_content=222491265&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&hss_channel=fbp-197613716979882

Nothing surprising or new there!

😎

Chards

8 hours ago, Orpster said:

Not exactly news is it.  The coins will co-exist for years as per pre-decimalisation. Everyone will just have to speculate when the Charles coins will come out next year and for those of us who are the poorer forum members without RM account managers, will have to get ready to wait in line.🤔🫢

22 minutes ago, Petra said:

Not exactly news is it.  The coins will co-exist for years as per pre-decimalisation. Everyone will just have to speculate when the Charles coins will come out next year and for those of us who are the poorer forum members without RM account managers, will have to get ready to wait in line.🤔🫢

No nothing new or unexpected, nor an answer to the one question I am bothered about, will they do the right thing and Face Charlie to the left 

Not PMs, but here are the first Charlie coins. 50 pences and in circulation in December. 

Portraits and dies done obviously sometime ago as I and many on here suspected. 

As always in this screwed up world, info comes from strange places - New Zealand!

https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/royals/300701870/the-first-coins-to-feature-king-charles-iii-unveiled-by-the-royal-mint

BBC article for new portrait.

King Charles: New coins featuring monarch's portrait unveiled - BBC News

New coins featuring King Charles

Edited by Charliemouse

12 Beginner Tips for Better Coin Photos

Everything you need to take great coin photos

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

1 hour ago, Charliemouse said:

I'm glad even the Royal Mint's photos have dust on them!  😁

12 Beginner Tips for Better Coin Photos

Everything you need to take great coin photos

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

6 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Most likely at least £2865 based on pricing of the gold Platinum Jubilee crown.

https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/events/the-queens-platinum-jubilee/the-platinum-jubilee-5-pound-gold-proof-coin/

Ah thanks! I was looking for a comparison like that. I think it takes it out of my league!!

Some informative Q&As from the Royal Mint.

When will the Harry Potter coin / (any other coin) be released?

We'll be making an announcement on future coin releases soon, so please keep an eye on our social channels. You can also register your interest on our website and we'll email you the latest news

Will any other coins released this year feature the King's portrait?

Only the coins commemorating Her Late Majesty's life and reign will feature the King's portrait this year.

Will the King's portrait feature on the coins in the Annual Sets?

We'll be making an announcement on future coin releases soon, so please keep an eye on our social channels. You can also register your interest on our website and we'll email you the latest news

Why is Charles written in English instead of Latin?

We have continued the tradition of Latin on the coinage of the king, but wanted to ensure it was accessible to a modern audience by adopting the more familiar ‘Charles’

1 minute ago, westminstrel said:

We have continued the tradition of Latin on the coinage of the king, but wanted to ensure it was accessible to a modern audience by adopting the more familiar ‘Charles’

Basically dumbing down...

The new target audience is too thick to make the connection.

I guess it answers my question about GULIELMUS V.

15 minutes ago, SidS said:

Basically dumbing down...

The new target audience is too thick to make the connection.

I guess it answers my question about GULIELMUS V.

Yep! ☝️ 

I’m just glad they stuck with FID DEF because there were rumours a while back that Charles wanted to be more inclusive, including of non-religious people, and get rid of that phrasing. Which had me questioning why DEI GRA would’ve been appropriate to retain… 🤔 

But whatever… thankfully we’ve been spared all that.

Just now, westminstrel said:

Yep! ☝️ 

I’m just glad they stuck with FID DEF because there were rumours a while back that Charles wanted to be more inclusive, including of non-religious people, and get rid of that phrasing. Which had me questioning why DEI GRA would’ve been appropriate to retain… 🤔 

But whatever… thankfully we’ve been spared all that.

Blimey it would have been:

CHARLES III REX

Very spartan - Back to the days of Henry III Long Cross coinage.

33 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Some informative Q&As from the Royal Mint.

When will the Harry Potter coin / (any other coin) be released?

Will any other coins released this year feature the King's portrait?

Only the coins commemorating Her Late Majesty's life and reign will feature the King's portrait this year.

Will the King's portrait feature on the coins in the Annual Sets?

Why is Charles written in English instead of Latin?

Excellent news re only coins this year with KC portrait this year as am hoping the first Potter coins will be QEII (as long as they release this year) 🤞