• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

King Charles III: Coins to enter circulation, Royal Mint confirms

Orpster

7 minutes ago, Bogart said:

I know I should not be but am looking at the 5oz gold jobby. Limited to 300. Am not looking to flip it but do not want to waste money being a newbie is this a wise investment?

Too high risk for my taste

16 minutes ago, Bogart said:

Thanks for the prompt replies. You have just saved my wife from having a fit.😁

Best advice I've seen is to avoid proof coins until you know what you're doing.  You can make a lot on them as collectibles but it's also possible to lose a lot.  I'm just in startup mode and I've got no short-term plans to buy any proof coins, especially high-end gold ones.  My Brilliant Uncirculated 2p worth - stick to sovs and maybe 1oz bullion until you've got reason to believe you know why something else is a good investment.

That's not to say that collectibles aren't worth investing in, but you're rather jumping in the deep end with that one.

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

10 minutes ago, James32 said:

Underrated advice 👏 

Sovs are a little counter-intuitive but it took me less than a month of hanging about TSF to figure that out.  They've got much lower spreads than other 1/4oz gold and if you trade them here, the going rate is about spot+£10-15, buy or sell.  Given their liquidity here (and presumably on the secondary market in general), sovs are pretty much a no-brainer.

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

So the limit is only determined by how many mugs buy the tat as opposed to any genuine attempt to limit quantity to increase desirability, value etc.

Apart from Ferrari, where sales come up with a number of how many they think they can sell on certain models then make exactly 1 less car than that, does any beggar anywhere in any industry limit production? My brain says I doubt it...

I did notice that the prices were rather above spot🤭 Though excessive but what do I know? No nned for answers thank you.

Thanks for all the info guys much appreciated. Took my wife out for lunch on the money I did not spend.

The Royal Mint is a business, they don’t really care if you buy to flip, buy to hopefully sell in time for a profit or buy to collect. Why should they worry about you worrying about mintage  numbers or anything at all? They are in the business of selling coins as well as minting for day to day circulation.  You buy to collect or stack, you take your chances. 

Minting as much as demand dictates draws a firm line under easy money flipping. Patient investors may still benefit modestly. Point in case, queens beasts bullion coins were minted in near unlimited quantities, yet they sell at a premium after a few years.