• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Share your worst PM incident please

2 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:
6 minutes ago, artalien said:

Its had a hard life, can't do anything with scratches but can clean up the fields

It's no longer my coin to decide upon so I'll let my daughter know, thanks Dave

4 hours ago, Bigmarc said:

Years ago (when we had money) I went routing through the missus hand bag for some money for the coffee machine at work. Inside the hand bag was some used bits of tissue, I fished it out and threw it down the toilet, grabbed a couple of quid and headed off to work. Turns out the night before on a night out she had taken her diamond earrings out wrapped them up for Safe keeping. They cost me just under 2 grand and gone in seconds. No insurance. 

Now I have insurance 

That's what I call two grand in arrears!

...the oral version is better than the written version.

😎

Chards

When I was a kid, I had a collection of coins, including some 1937 proofs. Unfortunately, my father's good intentions by buying me a lovely coin album ended up causing irreparable damage. The plastic pages contained PVC which leached through the coin holders and damaged the surfaces of the coins.

That's when I bought a coin cabinet.

1 hour ago, SidS said:

The plastic pages contained PVC which leached through the coin holders and damaged the surfaces of the coins.

I've seen videos of this happening. The reaction can be quite severe it seems. I got some non PVC cling film that I have been using to seal up the tupperware boxes I use I hope nothing happens to my coins. You started young SidS, I'd love to see your collection now 😃

18 hours ago, Pete said:

My worst purchase ( and not an accident ) was winning a 1 kilo silver Kookaburra at a great price on eBay.
What arrived was a tiny thin silver replica about 12mm diameter weighing a gram or two.
The seller used a library picture and claims not to have known the difference.
Luckily the seller accepted it back but there were some tense moments for sure.

Similar tale - bought a 5 oz silver America the Beautiful coin from eBay, received a quarter dollar in the same design. Genuine mistake I think though.

In another ATB related tale, I won (quite cheaply) three separate auctions for 5 oz silver coins on the same day from the same seller. A few days later he told me his car had been stolen with the coins in the boot.

• 4 months later...
23 hours ago, Thelonerangershorse said:

I used them for sovs for several years before I found Atkinsons, hate to think how much that cost me.

I've used them quite a bit🤔

Just did a comparison (Brit monster box just for laughs) with ATK and I am genuinely shocked by the difference. I had to do a triple-take that their price did indeed include VAT, that sort of difference🤕

WTF am I missing something here? Is there a catch with ATK, or was I so very very wrong all along?🤢

Everybody knows the war is over / Everybody knows the good guys lost
                               Everybody knows the boat is leaking / Everybody knows the captain lied..   Be seeing you2 sm.jpg

“The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent”

7 minutes ago, JohnA1 said:

I've used them quite a bit🤔

Just did a comparison (Brit monster box just for laughs) with ATK and I am genuinely shocked by the difference. I had to do a triple-take that their price did indeed include VAT, that sort of difference🤕

WTF am I missing something here? Is there a catch with ATK, or was I so very very wrong all along?🤢

No catch with Atkinsons, they and @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer are now my go-to options.

I would only use BBP if they have a VERY special offer.

"To get to where I need to be, I start by walking away from where I am."

2 minutes ago, Thelonerangershorse said:

No catch with Atkinsons, they and @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer are now my go-to options.

I would only use BBP if they have a VERY special offer.

Wow, been looking at Chards prices as well and boy was I blind..

Never crossed my mind that this market could be so inefficient, was only looking at RM and BBP thinking that any other would be thereabouts. Boy was I wrong..🙄

Thanks TSF😁

Better late than never eh..

Everybody knows the boat is leaking / Everybody knows the captain lied..   Be seeing you2 sm.jpg

👍

Thanks, hadn't yet discovered this part of the forum

boatmanship, me no good🙈

8 hours ago, Darr3nG said:

Check out the compare prices tool, here on the forum, for other deals:

https://www.thesilverforum.com/compare/uk/

Looking a bit closer, things are not as simple as that (they never are eh?)

Say 2022 sov: right now the comparison thingie shows as best price Tavex at £421.88 (del incl)

The Tavex site itself shows 416.71 (inc del always)

BBP is not even in the list, but their quote on their site is 406.50 (del incl)

All three pages were obsessively refreshed and quotes were for a single sov 2022.

Curiouser and curiouser..🧐

I guess one's own research pays no matter what eh, there's only this much you can trust xml scripts

Edited by JohnA1

1 minute ago, JohnA1 said:

Looking a bit closer, things are not as simple as that (they never are eh?)

Say 2022 sov: right now the comparison thingie shows as best price Tavex at £421.88 (del incl)

The Tavex site itself shows 416.71 (inc del always)

BBP is not even in the list, but their quote on their site is 406.50 (del incl)

Curiouser and curiouser..🧐

I guess one's own research pays no matter what eh, there's only this much you can trust xml scripts

Yeah, use it as a guideline only... some of the UK vendors actively block the scanning script (or have asked not to be included)

Those 2022 sovs are all Jubilee - I haven't added the Memorials (yet). I do try to keep it mostly up-to-date :)