• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereigns/ Charlie Chuck Chuck

MonkeysUncle

6 hours ago, westminstrel said:

If the RM already has a portrait for Charles ready to use, as has been said by several people in the know, then I can see his portrait being used for the 2023 Sovereigns. November is still a way off, and I assume you’re seeing the news right now.

The other thing the RM could do is release QE II Sovs for 2023 and mid year after Charles’s coronation release special commemorative Sovs for 2023 with his portrait.

They’ve released 2 different Sov obverses for the same year twice before 2015 (4th and 5th portrait) and 2016 (5th portrait and special James Butler portrait).

The changeover will take at least a year for coins. The Kings portrait for them has to go through various stages and committees before finally getting the nod from the King, then obviously all the mint stuff has to get sorted and put into gear.

9 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

The 2022 £5 BU and piedfort sovereigns were the last sovereigns ever struck in QEII reign.............I bet the RM do a last bullion sovereign run for collectors in a presentation blister. 

Yes, but will they do a Struck on the Day?

😎

Chards

5 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Yes, but will they do a Struck on the Day?

😎

Whatever, you will have to try and buy it… right now there are over 11,000 people trying to buy on the Royal Mint site!

16 minutes ago, Petra said:

The changeover will take at least a year for coins. The Kings portrait for them has to go through various stages and committees before finally getting the nod from the King, then obviously all the mint stuff has to get sorted and put into gear.

King George VI became King in December 1936 and they released coins with his effigy in 1937.

I personally believe the RM will release commemorative 2023 dated coins with King Charles III’s effigy. From what we know, they’ve been planning it a long time already.

It would certainly be strange to release 2023 dated Sovereigns starting in December this year, for example, when QE II has been dead months.

That’s just my thinking.

I believe after the funeral which will be in 9 days from now, and after the end of public mourning, they will begin to announce KC III stuff.

3 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

King George VI became King in December 1936 and they released coins with his effigy in 1937.

I personally believe the RM will release commemorative 2023 dated coins with King Charles III’s effigy. From what we know, they’ve been planning it a long time already.

It would certainly be strange to release 2023 dated Sovereigns starting in December this year, for example, when QE II has been dead months.

That’s just my thinking.

I believe after the funeral which will be in 9 days from now, and after the end of public mourning, they will begin to announce KC III stuff.

Sure, but King George V died on 20 January 1936, and it was long known that Edward VIII was never going to be crowned.

George V had been in declingin health from as early as 1915.

In 1925, on the instruction of his doctors, he was reluctantly sent on a recuperative private cruise in the Mediterranean; it was his third trip abroad since the war, and his last. In November 1928, he fell seriously ill with septicaemia, and for the next two years his son Edward took over many of his duties.

George never fully recovered. In his final year, he was occasionally administered oxygen.

The establishment, and the Royal Mint, had plenty of time for preparation.

😎

Chards

26 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Sure, but King George V died on 20 January 1936, and it was long known that Edward VIII was never going to be crowned.

George V had been in declingin health from as early as 1915.

In 1925, on the instruction of his doctors, he was reluctantly sent on a recuperative private cruise in the Mediterranean; it was his third trip abroad since the war, and his last. In November 1928, he fell seriously ill with septicaemia, and for the next two years his son Edward took over many of his duties.

George never fully recovered. In his final year, he was occasionally administered oxygen.

The establishment, and the Royal Mint, had plenty of time for preparation.

😎

Indeed. But equally, as morbid as it may sound, all government institutions have been prepared and ready for QE II’s death for years now. 🫤

It’ll certainly be interesting to see what happens as this is unprecedented for most of us. 

13 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Indeed. But equally, as morbid as it may sound, all government institutions have been prepared and ready for QE II’s death for years now. 🫤

It’ll certainly be interesting to see what happens as this is unprecedented for most of us. 

I am sure a quantity of 2023 UK coins are about to be released, and will be currently in production, or even ready and stockpiled.

This may cause a rethink or problem.

Chards

1 minute ago, LawrenceChard said:

I am sure a quantity of 2023 UK coins are about to be released, and will be currently in production, or even ready and stockpiled.

This may cause a rethink or problem.

Yale of Beaufort was the first 2023 coin I think.

Lunar Rabbit 2023 was the next and most recent one.

I haven’t kept track if any others have been out or are imminent.

I am given to understand that portraits and designs for licky sticky stamps have existed for some time. So I imagine the mint is similarly prepared and both institutions would be ready to move when given the nod. I would think preparing dies will take significantly longer than printing off stamps mind you!

1 hour ago, MonkeysUncle said:

I am given to understand that portraits and designs for licky sticky stamps have existed for some time. So I imagine the mint is similarly prepared and both institutions would be ready to move when given the nod. I would think preparing dies will take significantly longer than printing off stamps mind you!

Why do we keep assuming the RM hasn’t already prepared the dies?

1 hour ago, westminstrel said:

Or it could be that the protocol has previously been to wait until a previous monarch has passed away before doing anything. The resulting wait in new coins etc. is no big deal for them … they will be produced. Charles won’t even be crowned for quite a long time and I can’t imagine them issuing new stuff until he’s actually crowned. 

22 minutes ago, Petra said:

Or it could be that the protocol has previously been to wait until a previous monarch has passed away before doing anything. The resulting wait in new coins etc. is no big deal for them … they will be produced. Charles won’t even be crowned for quite a long time and I can’t imagine them issuing new stuff until he’s actually crowned. 

There’s a difference between circulation and commemorative coinage.

When the last monarch passed, commemorative coinage wasn’t what it is today.

As @BackyardBullion said in another topic, it seems the RM has stopped production of coins. If you look at their website, most coins now state minimum 3 months for delivery.

This suggests it isn’t “business as usual” for the commemorative coins, and that it’s all up in the air.

Circulation coinage may continue bearing the effigy of a recently deceased monarch, but commemorative coinage for the entire year following… seems weird. We’ll just have to wait and see.

3 hours ago, MonkeysUncle said:

1 hour ago, westminstrel said:

I think it's a dying art!

😎

Chards

20 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

There’s a difference between circulation and commemorative coinage.

When the last monarch passed, commemorative coinage wasn’t what it is today.

As @BackyardBullion said in another topic, it seems the RM has stopped production of coins. If you look at their website, most coins now state minimum 3 months for delivery.

This suggests it isn’t “business as usual” for the commemorative coins, and that it’s all up in the air.

Circulation coinage may continue bearing the effigy of a recently deceased monarch, but commemorative coinage for the entire year following… seems weird. We’ll just have to wait and see.

Either way, they still need a portrait of the new king on and there are strict procedures for that, which will eat up time.

thing is; QEII reigned for such a long period that it is today tough to go and read/check the "standard procedures manual". 

During this period, the RM has repeatedly changed its policies;  since 1999, has taken a clear path vis-a-vis sovereign/s; THE sovereign has become the proof one, and the bullion is just a side coniage. 

Now, since the proof has become a November momentum, the question is; will they just postpone the official 2023 proof release/s? 2023 official coniage cant have QEII effige on it, since she passed away in 2022.

I am a foreigner and, altough deeply in love with british history and monarchy traditions, cant call myself an expert on that. Can an official coin (be that a proof or a bullion) be released before the coronation? (that i i assume will take place during spring/summer 2023?). If not, we will have to wait, otherwise i m pretty sure the official CH III portrait has been prepared since long, and i wouldnt be particularly surprised if RM would start selling the 2023 CH III proof in november.

What i am really impatient to queue for is the coronation set tho.