• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereigns/ Charlie Chuck Chuck

MonkeysUncle

1 hour ago, MonkeysUncle said:

Bad taste maybe as the old bat hasn't drawn her last yet, but assuming she does, then I am thinking we'll have the much adored Charlie on Sovs next year potentially. Assuming RM gets it's self in gear.

So is throwing all spare cash at 2022 Sovs a sound idea?

I believe ( @LawrenceChard can correct me) that after lizzy passes, they still use her effigy for a further 12 months on coinage/money

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

1 minute ago, westminstrel said:

Is that true for coinage already in circulation or also for new coins, especially commemorative, that are struck?

At the time I got the impression it meant new coins, I think I was asking because of the tudor beasts ( unlikely to end with the Queen in my humble opinion) 

@LawrenceChard can you put the sovereigns down for a second please.

23 minutes ago, James32 said:

I believe ( @LawrenceChard can correct me) that after lizzy passes, they still use her effigy for a further 12 months on coinage/money

Yes  normally a year later, QE  died in 1901 did not see EdwardVII on coins until 1902, EdwardVII died 1910, 1911 George 5th 1936, Edward VIII1937  and so on……just going off my sovereign collection…..

Just now, GoldDiggerDave said:

Yes  normally a year later, QE  died in 1901 did not see EdwardVII on coins until 1902, EdwardVII died 1910, 1911 George 5th 1936, Edward VIII1937  and so on……just going off my sovereign collection…..

Thanks Dave.

14 minutes ago, James32 said:

I'm not entirely sure, considering November may see the 23s it could run to next year?

If the RM already has a portrait for Charles ready to use, as has been said by several people in the know, then I can see his portrait being used for the 2023 Sovereigns. November is still a way off, and I assume you’re seeing the news right now.

The other thing the RM could do is release QE II Sovs for 2023 and mid year after Charles’s coronation release special commemorative Sovs for 2023 with his portrait.

They’ve released 2 different Sov obverses for the same year twice before 2015 (4th and 5th portrait) and 2016 (5th portrait and special James Butler portrait).

1 minute ago, westminstrel said:

If the RM already has a portrait for Charles ready to use, as has been said by several people in the know, then I can see his portrait being used for the 2023 Sovereigns. November is still a way off, and I assume you’re seeing the news right now.

The other thing the RM could do is release QE II Sovs for 2023 and mid year after Charles’s coronation release special commemorative Sovs for 2023 with his portrait.

They’ve released 2 different Sov obverses for the same year twice before 2015 (4th and 5th portrait) and 2016 (5th portrait and special James Butler portrait).

Yes I'm just hearing the news and you could very well be right. Time for more 2022s me thinks?😂

11 minutes ago, James32 said:

If they don't scrap it all together considering the problems their having. 

You would have thought they'd just delay production whilst having to deal with any QEII commemoratives that they need to release.

The addition of the collectors box to entice people into buying the full run of coins was a great idea, it just looks like it is being poorly executed at the moment.

The Tudor beasts must be a nice money spinner no way they'd stop it.

2 hours ago, James32 said:

It may depend on the date of the year when the monarch dies.

It is normal, traditional, and practical to continue using exisiting dies, and to issue planned and approved coinage, for the current year, and certainly into the next year if the death occurs late in the year.

This, and similar questions have been cropping up more frequently recently, on TSF and elsewhere.

We are about to produce a definitive guide on the subject.

😎

Chards

2 hours ago, westminstrel said:

Is that true for coinage already in circulation or also for new coins, especially commemorative, that are struck?

Sure, nobody would attempt to withdraw all the circulating coinage and replace it with new stuff.

It would be hugely wasteful and expensive.

Before the UK went decimal in 1971, we were still using coins of Elizabeth II, George VI, George V, Edward VII, Victoria, and we even occasionally saw coins of William IV, George IV, or George III, going back to about 1816.

😎

Chards

37 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

Sure, nobody would attempt to withdraw all the circulating coinage and replace it with new stuff.

It would be hugely wasteful and expensive.

Before the UK went decimal in 1971, we were still using coins of Elizabeth II, George VI, George V, Edward VII, Victoria, and we even occasionally saw coins of William IV, George IV, or George III, going back to about 1816.

😎

To add, Charles will likely be somewhat 'divisive'...I am certain they will make the changeover as long, drawn-out, and 'subtle' as possible to protect the 'institution'... 

2 hours ago, westminstrel said:

Sure, but both for the same monarch.

I think it may be considered bad form, or a breach of protocol, to have 2 or monarchs portraits on coin obverses in the same year.

😎

Chards

15 minutes ago, kimchi said:

To add, Charles will likely be somewhat 'divisive'...I am certain they will make the changeover as long, drawn-out, and 'subtle' as possible to protect the 'institution'... 

Like Marmite!

... or as Charles could have said "Ma might let me take over one day"

😎

Chards

Yes we will probably see 2023 Sovereign with an already-selected Charles portrait in the proof release in November. Surely the RM has been preparing for this for a while already.

I noticed a large queue on the Royal Mint website, a lot of people are probably buying Queen Elizabeth II coins now. Also on Atkinson's website all the relevant coins are unavailable for sale at the moment. Not so Bullion By Post.

1 hour ago, goldmember44 said:

Yes we will probably see 2023 Sovereign with an already-selected Charles portrait in the proof release in November. Surely the RM has been preparing for this for a while already.

I noticed a large queue on the Royal Mint website, a lot of people are probably buying Queen Elizabeth II coins now. Also on Atkinson's website all the relevant coins are unavailable for sale at the moment. Not so Bullion By Post.

Or the well-known Blackpool dealer!

😎

Chards