• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereigns/ Charlie Chuck Chuck

MonkeysUncle

10 minutes ago, Petra said:

Either way, they still need a portrait of the new king on and there are strict procedures for that, which will eat up time.

Yes you are right, all I’ve been saying is it’s been known that King Charles III’s coinage portrait has already been done in anticipation of QE II’s passing.

Someone here mentioned it a while back, I think, or there was a report on it (I don’t recall to be honest, but I know that’s why this piece of information is in my head). 🙂

Edited by westminstrel

26 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Yes you are right, all I’ve been saying is it’s been known that King Charles III’s coinage portrait has already been done in anticipation of QE II’s passing.

Someone here mentioned it a while back, I think, or there was a report on it (I don’t recall to be honest, but I know that’s why this piece of information is in my head). 🙂

I don't think they were officially allowed to say if Charles has already sat for this eventuality while the queen was alive.

I know the Chancellor of Exchequer and Charles have to approve the new design that the Royal Mint use.

From what I understand it is because of decimalisation that all the coins have QEII on them, before then it was perfectly normal to see coins with Queen Victoria on them and all the other monarchs.

20 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

Before the UK went decimal in 1971, we were still using coins of Elizabeth II, George VI, George V, Edward VII, Victoria, and we even occasionally saw coins of William IV, George IV, or George III, going back to about 1816.

😎

You saw William IV coins circulating in the 1950-60s? I'm stunned, I thought the 1920s silver debasement would have seen all those off.

The Vicky upward bronzes were ten a penny in the late 60s I'm told. I've certainly seen plenty of George V pennies turn up in 1950s films.

It might seem strange to anyone under 30 but having all the coins in circulation featuring only the reigning monarch is actually extremely unusual.

Other than the triggering of Gresham's law by the great debasement of Henry VIII's reign, the only times since 1307 that all the coins were of the reigning monarch happened in 1817-1820 and 1993-2023.

Edited by SidS

1 hour ago, westminstrel said:

I read something way back in 2012 during the Diamond Jubilee about them having things ready, including coinage obverses (I'm sure I specifically ready that Charles had sat for portraits). That was when I first came across the term Operation London Bridge.

Various newspapers have being airing it sporadically since then.

Edited by SidS

1 hour ago, SidS said:

I read something way back in 2012 during the Diamond Jubilee about them having things ready, including coinage obverses (I'm sure I specifically ready that Charles had sat for portraits). That was when I first came across the term Operation London Bridge.

Various newspapers have being airing it sporadically since then.

Thank you. I knew I had read something somewhere but couldn’t recall exactly.

Yes they’ve been planning for Operation Unicorn and Operation London Bridge for a loooong time.

11 minutes ago, Britannia47 said:

I wonder if WIlliam  will assume the title of Prince of Wales or keep his current title? Another investiture perhaps?

That title does is not automatically inherited. He will have to be invested (as you said); for which there is no specific time frame.

23 hours ago, Petra said:

Just another waiting game. Elizabeth stuff selling out at stupid prices, new King stuff selling out and stupid prices. Eventually it will all settle down and back to ‘normal’🤔

Yeah, which is why the shrewd people will sell while the hype is strong and the prices high. However, I think items like the 2022 proof sovereign won't look back anytime soon, it is now and will be a £1,000+ coin.

7 hours ago, westminstrel said:

That title does is not automatically inherited. He will have to be invested (as you said); for which there is no specific time frame.

It’s just been announced that Charles has conferred on William and Katherine  the title of Prince and Princess of Wales. However the leader of Plaid Cymru, says that Wales has no need of a Prince of Wales….!Watch this space!

10 hours ago, Britannia47 said:

It’s just been announced that Charles has conferred on William and Katherine  the title of Prince and Princess of Wales. However the leader of Plaid Cymru, says that Wales has no need of a Prince of Wales….!Watch this space!

Sure the vast majority won’t care what they think. I think there were some protests when Charles was invested.

22 hours ago, Britannia47 said:

Typical of the moaning Welsh lot. They moaned about having Charlie for as long as I remember and aren't showing any gratitude they have William instead. 

Apart from leeks, lamb and pretty flowers they fail to contribute anything to the United Kingdom. Well, apart from usually poor quality coins. Time to extend the Bristol Channel up a good but, crowbar Wales off and ask those nice chaps in Perth if they would be so kind as to mint coins for us! 😄

Not sure if this has already been confirmed on this thread, but the former Prince of Wales refused to sit for portraits ‘as a monarch’ whilst QEII was alive. Likely that it will now be some time before this is sorted. Unless the sort this before the coronation etc.

Like @GoldDiggerDave said history suggests the first sovereign with KCIII on the obverse will be 2023.

46 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Not sure if this has already been confirmed on this thread, but the former Prince of Wales refused to sit for portraits ‘as a monarch’ whilst QEII was alive. Likely that it will now be some time before this is sorted. Unless the sort this before the coronation etc.

Like @GoldDiggerDave said history suggests the first sovereign with KCIII on the obverse will be 2023.

Just following past precedent, nothing unusual.