• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sharing my story, buying a fake american gold eagle with royal mail losing my return parcel along any chance of getting my money back

I got to say I would send back an empty capsule tracked.

I very much doubt paypal or ebay would care as to why you now have a different tracking number. They don't normally give a s**t.

You will then be able to tick all there boxes with a valid tracking number

Edited by chasetyre

anyway...... going forward matey..... there are carcking deals on here sometimes, patience and a qucker trigger finger than James and his 50 assistants working 24/7 and you can get some great stuff and you can trust the members on here, they commit to paying membership fees and protecting their reputation so, a 'trust based system' indeed but one with huge benefits...

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

37 minutes ago, flyingveepixie said:

Paypal are scumbags. Paypal have always been scumbags.  A real rogue organisation, although to be fair they have upped their game considerably since the very early days. Back in the early days (early 2000s) they locked my account not once but twice for absolutely no reason whatsoever and were completely uncontactable. Coincidentally this happened on both occasions when my ebay accounts of the time were hacked and I was permanently locked out of them. On both occasions I lost the balance in the account.  I am currently on my third Paypal account as a result and as much as I dislike using it, what choice do we have so much of the time and on so many occasions in this crappy modern age with the endless and constant creep of globalisation..

Ebay are scumbags.  Ebay have not always been on the same level of scumbagism ala Paypal, but they were never exactly what you might call a bastion of honourable trade.   Back in the early days it was probably a good bit safer to trade on ebay than it is now when it was mostly just joe bloggs from down the road selling his unwanted second hand tat.  When all these businesses started using it as a selling platform rather than an auction site as it had been around 10-15 years ago, it became so much more global in it's nature and so big that it could and can do apparently what it likes, that's when it really started to go downhill.

Royal Mail : well their reputation precedes them but provided you jump through the correct hoops you will usually always get most of your money back.  In this instance you didn't jump through the correct hoops and should have sent the coin by Special Delivery.  Did you not know you wouldn't be insured sending it via bog standard signed for?  They do explain that fact clearly enough on their website and give specific mention to items such as coins, currency, and other valuables.

I do sympathise with you and I'm sorry this has happened to you as I've had a few hair raising moments of my own on ebay over the years, and as with many others on here I am furious on your behalf, but against these faceless global entities we are all virtually powerless. 

The bottom line is that you'll probably lose out this time but hopefully learn the hard lesson and stay away from ebay unless you're looking for some trivial item like a hairbrush or a cheap screwdriver as it's infested with dishonest hustlers and crooks these days, especially in respect of trading rare and valuable items. In my own line of speciality on ebay I've seen many fake guitars pop up over the years bearing the names of Gibson and Fender and really looking the part,  and sometimes they can be very difficult to spot until after the event as you only have photographs to look at and a description from the seller. 

As stated in another thread just a few days ago I'm sick to death of ebay and what it has become and I'm almost completely done with it, with it's dodgy dealings and bloated fees, scripted customer service read by automatons, and the whole thing designed to protect and serve the interests of ebay itself rather than the customer.

As already suggested above - you have his address. You could always go and pay him a visit to get your refund...

Yeh PayPal back in 03/04/05 times were awful. I was a big seller on there when the Von Dutch hat craze was about. The customer service was awful and restricted to America online I believe in terms of contacting customer service. Ahhh the good old days of receiving cheques in the post and waiting 5-7 days to clear before sending out the items lol.

8 minutes ago, Ukbullionfan said:

Yeh PayPal back in 03/04/05 times were awful. I was a big seller on there when the Von Dutch hat craze was about. The customer service was awful and restricted to America online I believe in terms of contacting customer service. Ahhh the good old days of receiving cheques in the post and waiting 5-7 days to clear before sending out the items lol.

Ah yes, in a lot of ways life was so much simpler back then eh...Apart from bloody paypal of course lol.

Edited by flyingveepixie

Yep that's me, I wrote that review after speaking posting, but before it was actually resolved.

I cannot send back a duplicate/identical item as PayPal require the original item to be returned even if it's counterfeit. But you did give me an idea. If you've accidentally submitted the wrong tracking ID for your return, you can update it over the phone...

I will update when I have news.

52 minutes ago, Orpster said:

I am selling a pack of 8 gold bars if your interested, still in OMP:

image.png.674c94d8d7551ab683136254c4ce0d8f.png

I just burst out laughing at sending the gold bars :D I've sent something of the same weight and size and value of the copy (under £5)

Update: I spoke to someone at PayPal that said if I had accidentally given the wrong tracking number, I can update it with them no problem. I promptly provided an updated tracking number for a parcel arriving today. I had forgotten to post it and obviously must have given the wrong details in the first place, oops.

Parcel arrives today, I call back. Explain what the process is. It's the same woman I had complained to a few days ago about the item being lost who remembers me. I don't recognise her.

She put me on hold for 10 mins... then comes back and says she knows I have posted something else out instead because she remembers our conversation and will close the case, because I had explained to her RM had lost the item earlier in the month.

Absolutely does not pay to be honest at all with any of these companies.

Scammer gets away, still has an eBay profile and there's no repercussions. I just lose my cash. He's selling FAKE GOLD items right now!

Now I've lost my initial money, 2x postage, the fake item and been to the post office twice.

Although I was annoyed earlier, I assumed I had some way out.... Now, I am raging. I cannot believe this guy has gotten away with it as every bloody failsafe is arbitrary black/white. Speak to a person they can't do anything outside the box.

I cannot believe it...

Edited by pillowcat2012

1 minute ago, pillowcat2012 said:

Update: I spoke to someone at PayPal that said if I had accidentally given the wrong tracking number, I can update it with them no problem. I promptly provided an updated tracking number for a parcel arriving today. I had forgotten to post it and obviously must have given the wrong details in the first place, oops.

Parcel arrives today, I call back. Explain what the process is. It's the same woman I had complained to a few days ago about the item being lost who remembers me. I don't recognise her.

She says she knows I have posted something else out instead because she remembers our conversation and will close the case, because I had explained to her RM had lost the item earlier in the month.

Absolutely does not pay to be honest at all with any of these companies.

Scammer gets away, still has an eBay profile and there's no repercussions. I just lose my cash. He's selling FAKE GOLD items right now!

Now I've lost my initial money, 2x postage, the fake item and been to the post office twice.

Although I was annoyed earlier, I assumed I had some way out.... Now, I am raging. I cannot believe this guy has gotten away with it as every bloody failsafe is arbitrary black/white. Speak to a person they can't do anything outside the box.

I cannot believe it...

At least it's sunny outside...

Advised this likely outcome unfortunately 😕 paypal don't give a c**p about anyone either.

Can you provide a link to the fake gold he's selling now?? 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

9 minutes ago, James32 said:

Advised this likely outcome unfortunately 😕 paypal don't give a c**p about anyone either.

Can you provide a link to the fake gold he's selling now?? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/mariapaola1/m.html?item=265760839264&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

All they are selling right now is a job 'log' of sterling silver

3 minutes ago, pillowcat2012 said:

Auction ended yesterday, they were selling some gold bars - I've provided a screenshot.

Just looked and my negative feedback has been removed! What the hell... 

image.png.ee24b05916c0ec064f6d5baf02864bdb.png
image.png.13902e6cc51dd5831ba146f5ddc6cb54.png

they applied to have it removed because you lost the case I'm afraid

Auction ended yesterday, they were selling some gold bars - I've provided a screenshot.

Just looked and my negative feedback has been removed! What the hell... 

image.png.ee24b05916c0ec064f6d5baf02864bdb.png
image.png.13902e6cc51dd5831ba146f5ddc6cb54.png

Can't believe the negative feedback has been removed... Was it Ebay or the seller who removed this feedback I wonder, not likely to be the seller because if you could remove negative comments yourself then everyone on Ebay would have 100% positive comments.

That probably means Ebay themselves have removed this negative feedback which is potentially giving the seller the green light to continue scamming others.

Never using Ebay again for anything other then non-expensive and essential items.

So sorry for this outcome. I think you summed it up perfectly when you said it doesn't pay to be honest with these companies.

Mankind’s two greatest enemies are the state and central banks - Jeff Berwick

It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning - Henry Ford

The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why - Mark Twain

3 minutes ago, Orpster said:

they applied to have it removed because you lost the case I'm afraid

Yes that sounds exactly like what's happened.

It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning - Henry Ford

The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why - Mark Twain

Sounds like a job for your baseball bat matey..  You've been ripped off, pure and simple and ebay have fully endorsed it.

I'm done with selling on ebay as of today as the whole game is always loaded in someone elses favour.   I'll still use it if I need to buy a cheapo item for peanuts but that's about it.

Edited by flyingveepixie

Final update: PayPal gave me £55 as a goodwill gesture and Royal Mail have just sent a cheque for £50+postage as on my lost item form I stated that it wasn't a genuine coin, it was a replica, therefore should be covered.

If I had only posted it with Special Delivery it would have either got there or I would have been refunded. I am never sending anything any other way. A very valuable lesson.

Disappointed in myself, disappointed in the system that has no allowances for a human touch. Just automated yes/no black/white.

Seller responsive on eBay but just saying he's offended I've accused him of trying to defraud people and feels like I'm suggesting he is a delinquent because I gave a negative review (lol).

Wonder if I'd paid £1450 he'd still have been offended. He probably needs the cash more than me.

At least I've got a story out of this to warn others:

Don't buy unless from a trusted source
Don't post cheap
Don't escalate to PayPal before eBay has completed their resolution process
Don't be stupid

Final update: PayPal gave me £55 as a goodwill gesture and Royal Mail have just sent a cheque for £50+postage as on my lost item form I stated that it wasn't a genuine coin, it was a replica, therefore should be covered.

If I had only posted it with Special Delivery it would have either got there or I would have been refunded. I am never sending anything any other way. A very valuable lesson.

Disappointed in myself, disappointed in the system that has no allowances for a human touch. Just automated yes/no black/white.

Seller responsive on eBay but just saying he's offended I've accused him of trying to defraud people and feels like I'm suggesting he is a delinquent because I gave a negative review (lol).

Wonder if I'd paid £1450 he'd still have been offended. He probably needs the cash more than me.

Don't post cheap
Don't be stupid

This whilst unfortunate and infuriating, will turn out to be the cheapest education you have ever bought. 

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

On 05/07/2022 at 19:55, pillowcat2012 said:

Sharing my story, perhaps some of you have had similar experience that can give me solace.

In May I won an auction on eBay for a 1 Oz American Gold Eagle. Seller was legitimate, with good feedback and several other coin auctions. Item described as Gold, composition gold, described as 1 Oz Gold Eagle. Paid via PayPal.

Item arrived and it was a fake, magnetic wrong colour wrong weight. Complete misrepresentation on eBay by the seller. No problem, I'm covered, right?

I contacted the seller who said as much that he knew it was a fake despite the description and refused a refund.

I contacted PayPal who opened and closed an eBay dispute (locking me out of any action via eBay), said not to worry I am entitled to a full refund as soon as the item is returned as it's clear misrepresentation. Sent me some postage information and I went to Royal Mail to send the package back to the original address. Paid with proof of postage, next day signed for. Coin in a capsule, in cardboard, in a bubble wrapped manilla envelope totally encased in parcel tape.

Fast forward 4 weeks the parcel has not arrived. Royal Mail confirm it has been lost and offered the refund the postage cost, said that as the item is a valuable coin it is not covered by 1st class insurance. In hindsight I should have paid for special delivery.

PayPal refuse to pay as they require attempted delivery as a minimum. eBay said it's with PayPal and no further action is possible via eBay.  Seller refuses to reply to me.

All in all a big disaster and I've taken a huge financial loss. The frustrating part is PayPal's instructions for me to post an item myself where the chain of custody is then between myself and Royal Mail. I cannot open a case against the buyer on eBay as it's been closed (as PayPal have taken over) and PayPal will automatically close the case in the seller's favour as they haven't received their counterfeit item back.

PayPal said they would re-open the case if I ever become aware of a delivery attempt being made, but the delivery tracker will expire soon and the service advisor said the item has probably been destroyed and is unlikely to be either returned to me or a delivery attempt made.

Wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience, or advice? Could I contact the police about someone selling counterfeits? I have this persons name and address? He said he knows it's fake and it's my fault for not realising (despite the description).

Thanks for reading.

On 06/07/2022 at 11:37, sixgun said:

Is this you? - this is the only negative feedback - the replica sold for £230 and it says here that it was resolved automatically without the seller.

image.thumb.png.87f9ef5d3168f16c4e8dcf9baa0a75e0.png

All the wording in the original listing indicates the coin is genuine. Nothing hints that it is fake, replica, etc, with the possible exception of the mediocre photos.

As such, the listing is clearly fraudulent, and I would advise putting that in writing, or e-mail to ebay.

It might also be worth contact BBC watchdog, any other news organ with a consumer help section, and the police in the seller's area. 

You should state that ebay are aware that the listing was fraudulent, and yet they continue to permit the seller to list more items.

Is there evidence his other listings are also fraudulent?

Chards

25 minutes ago, pillowcat2012 said:

Don't post cheap
Don't be stupid

At least you got something back ...

9 minutes ago, flyingveepixie said:

At least you got something back ...

Yeah totally. To get something back is definitely a bonus.

Thanks for giving us an update 👍