• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What makes this worth £5k plus 1917 Sovereign?

Dakaras

1 minute ago, Foster88 said:

It looks like it’s a London Mint sovereign or a questionable London Mint Sovereign.

There are very few that survived the melting pot to pay for war debts.

Thank you, a 1912 just went 380 so was baffled

1 hour ago, Dakaras said:

Just watching an auction this 1917 sov went for mad money, any idea why? 

Screenshot_20220411-164852.png

1 hour ago, Foster88 said:

It looks like it’s a London Mint sovereign or a questionable London Mint Sovereign.

There are very few that survived the melting pot to pay for war debts.

57 minutes ago, Foster88 said:

Do you have a link to the auction? The photo looks a bit blurry but something seems a bit off with that sovereign.

One sold on The Coin Cabinet auction for £22,000.

4E042D87-5BF9-46AF-B1C7-AF7A9B56466C.jpeg

As @Foster88 asked:

Do you have a link to the auction?

That way, some people can see what it's about and have a stab at answering your question.

😎

Chards

2 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

As @Foster88 asked:

Do you have a link to the auction?

That way, some people can see what it's about and have a stab at answering your question.

😎

https://www.easyliveauction.com/catalogue/lot/71aaf1226d4c55e1ec86a7f5f0984f14/0af8d24542e81eb9357e7ef448a6646f/gold-coin-auction-no-buyers-premium-or-online-bidding-f-lot-40/

Thank you

6 minutes ago, Dakaras said:

Typical c**p quality photos.

Even so, it looks like a fake.

Auction houses like this should not be in business.

I sent them the followiing e-mail:

Dear sirs,

Despite the poor quality photos, this appears to be an obvious counterfeit.

Is there any reason you did not state this in the description?

Regards,

Lawrence Chard

Chard (1964) Limited
32 - 36 Harrowside
Blackpool
FY4 1RJ
England, UK.

Tel 0044 (0)1253 343081

www.chards.co.uk

😎

Chards

3 hours ago, Dakaras said:

Well only had the one win but a 1/10 for well under spot I'll take 😁

I missed that one as I had put a bid in for a later coin … then missed out on that one!🙁

2 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

Typical c**p quality photos.

Even so, it looks like a fake.

Auction houses like this should not be in business.

I sent them the followiing e-mail:

Dear sirs,

Despite the poor quality photos, this appears to be an obvious counterfeit.

Is there any reason you did not state this in the description?

Regards,

Lawrence Chard

Chard (1964) Limited
32 - 36 Harrowside
Blackpool
FY4 1RJ
England, UK.

Tel 0044 (0)1253 343081

www.chards.co.uk

😎

I received a reply:

AOh14GiSeUGA9KvFq6MSxuddaI79Z6OatOHcMWj-ZfUY=s80

Eastbourne Auctions Enquiries

20:04 (34 minutes ago)

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif

Hello

Thank you for emailing us

Please help us to understand - what makes this a fake?

Kind regards

0?ui=2&ik=07cea7b8da&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1729839897084873048&th=1801a038a80ac958&view=fimg&fur=ip&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ_mxJ6yv2Bpxkzpo5AXJVOpugFqouNXw6FA0zsHLU2hn5MRStXoz3zc5zEgoxSFcJe3qSib9KSl0djYkDcNrmktakz3tMrs3hcXSy28M1an1_BC4Y7uEXjWX0Q&disp=emb

Auctioneers & Valuers of Fine Art, Antiques & Collectables

Auction House, Finmere Road, Eastbourne, BN22 8QL

Telephone:    +44 (0)1323 431444

www.EastbourneAuction.com

Which is actually quite hopeful, but as I did not have a spare hour to talk them through the awful photos, I replied:

"Dear Sirs,

It would be easier to point a few things out if the photos were not so bad.
I suggest you compare it with a few genuine coins, or find a local numismatic dealer to ask.
Have you looked the coin up in a Spink catalogue,or Coin Year Book?

Regards,

Lawrence Chard

Chards

Actually, somewhat to the auction house's credit, it could be argued that they clearly indicated by their low estimate for such a rare coin that they didn't believe the coin to be genuine and so worth just the gold content. I know, probably it was not intentional and the auction house simply had no idea. But the warning sign of low estimate was there, just the bidders thought they knew better, as usual.

Also, the terms of the auction are such that anyone who offered so much money under such conditions for this lot almost deserved to be fooled...

Each Lot as set out in the catalogue ... is sold with all faults, imperfections and errors of description and neither the Vendor nor the Auctioneers are responsible for the authenticity, attribution, genuineness, origin, authorship, date, age, period, condition or quality of any lot. 

1 minute ago, CollectForFun said:

Actually, somewhat to the auction house's credit, it could be argued that they clearly indicated by their low estimate for such a rare coin that they didn't believe the coin to be genuine and so worth just the gold content. I know, probably it was not intentional and the auction house simply had no idea. But the warning sign of low estimate was there, just the bidders thought they knew better, as usual.

Also, the terms of the auction are such that anyone who offered so much money under such conditions for this lot almost deserved to be fooled...

Well there was at least two people who thought that they would get a bargain! You will find that in their small print that the auction house is liable for nothing 

4 minutes ago, CollectForFun said:

I did think the estimate ment they couldn't have known. 

Just now, Dakaras said:

Auction house estimates rarely mean anything. They are always putting very low estimates on items that go for loads. They all do it, has no relevance as to what they really think the item is and may make.

1 minute ago, Dakaras said:

Which means that they weren't doing much of a good job for the seller.

If genuine, it might be worth £10K depending on condition, which is also difficult to tell from the "snaps".

Didn't know, didn't care!

Chards

1 minute ago, LawrenceChard said:

Which means that they weren't doing much of a good job for the seller.

If genuine, it might be worth £10K depending on condition, which is also difficult to tell from the "snaps".

Didn't know, didn't care!

I did also think that, 2 minutes to look a coin up in Spink, would have then warranted investigation