• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Latest auction prices for 1989 Proof Sovereign

JohnV66

Is anyone else seeing ludicrous prices for 1989 proof sovereigns?

This one on Wotton Auction via Salesroom went for £2,232 (including 27.54% auction fees) just this afternoon.

I really don't get it. Who would pay that much for a raw coin? Are they insane or poorly informed?

1989_proofsov.PNG.8923b5e423fefaace11480f2a4c6ecb4.PNG

Yes, sounds like someone willing to pay over the odds. The RM are asking £ 2250 for a NGC graded 69, and £2425 for a ‘raw’ but not in stock! Seems to be a sought after coin and oddly enough can be more expensive than the double sovereign. Not long ago it was about £1500 I think. Perhaps it’s just supply and demand, and desperation to add to one’s collection?……

Yes that's certainly too much, especially for a seemingly impaired proof. 😬

I remember seeing also suspected fake 1989 sovs sometime earlier, maybe it was on fakebook. Can't be too careful these days.

Screen Shot 2022-04-06 at 8.20.07 am.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-06 at 8.26.06 am.png

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

So the 2012 proof sovereign's are going for something more realistic according to the latest auction results as of today. Arguably rarer than the 1989.

Including auction fees, this one went for £1,011. Which is about what I'd expect.2012_proofsov.PNG.3d4d82058128b1a363466e47505d1851.PNG

4 minutes ago, JohnV66 said:

Arguably rarer than the 1989

Not even arguably, definitely so.

However, they are pug ugly compared to a 1989 and not as popular as their relative prices attest.

Edit: Also to be borne in mind, the 2012 exists in (the very common) bullion form. A collector who wants a 1989 must buy a proof.

Edited by sovereignsteve

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

When I'd started collecting proofs 10 years ago, I had exactly the same thought and ignored the 2012. I just figured "umm, I don't particularly like this design."

Now I deeply regret not picking one up whilst they were around £500. Live and learn, I guess.

57 minutes ago, JohnV66 said:

When I'd started collecting proofs 10 years ago, I had exactly the same thought and ignored the 2012. I just figured "umm, I don't particularly like this design."

Now I deeply regret not picking one up whilst they were around £500. Live and learn, I guess.

I got my first one for 450 then sold it, got another for about 500 and sold that too, all before prices really started rising. I made good money but not as much as i would have made if i'd held.

Proofs for £149 and circulated sovereign's for £50!!!! I mean wow. I had no idea that's how low it was back in 90's.

These are my double and half '89's. I think I paid just over £600 for the double and £180 for the half which seems comical by today's prices.

1989sovs2.PNG

• 2 weeks later...

Not many 89's achieve PF70 for some reason, so I can understand the premium. I had both of my double & half coins conserved by NCS but only the half managed PF70. I'm still pleased with PF69 on the double as I've seen many rolling around at PF66 or 67. Perhaps too many folks couldn't resist the urge to handle & clean them for the last 33 years.

44 minutes ago, JohnV66 said:

Not many 89's achieve PF70 for some reason, so I can understand the premium. I had both of my double & half coins conserved by NCS but only the half managed PF70. I'm still pleased with PF69 on the double as I've seen many rolling around at PF66 or 67. Perhaps too many folks couldn't resist the urge to handle & clean them for the last 33 years.

It's strange the way it goes sometimes, I've had great success at NGC with fulls and doubles but for some reason, I can't get a PF70 half for love nor money🤔

• 4 weeks later...

Price madness continues with Lockdales latest auction as of today 21st May. Realised prices including auction fees @ 27.54%:

1980 proof sovereign  £459

1995 proof sovereign  £765    (!!!??? just crazy)

1996 proof sovereign  £663   (huh??!!)

1997 proof sovereign   £714   (also nutty)

1998 proof sovereign  £510

1999 proof sovereign  £612   (say what!!??)

Live auction prices are so out of touch with peer-to-peer or Ebay realised prices. Clearly someone's willing to pay these exaggerated amounts but confused as to why. Case in point, I998 proofs have been selling recently on Ebay for £400 - £450. I should know, I bought one and quality was perfectly fine. I personally own the 1980, 1990, 1994, 1997, 1998 & 1999 proofs and have never valued them anywhere near those quotes.

Bear in mind, most of these big auction houses also charge £25 - £40 for P&P on top. Sometimes you get lucky (very rare) when they charge just £8 R.M. SD. That 1995 proof will probably cost someone £800 in total.

Lockdales_auction.PNG

I had most of those in my "watch list" and was surprised when I checked just now at the prices achieved.

Whilst I have bought coins from Ebay (and never had a problem with them) I tend to steer clear where possible.  Too many sharks and horror stories put me off.  Also most of the photos for Ebay listings are terrible and it's hard to determine the quality before I buy.  For my own personal reasons I am buying proof sovereigns for grading and have had (mostly) great success by buying from trusted dealers at reasonable prices.  Trouble is, those 1990 era sovereigns don't come up for sale very often and when they do they are £600+ and that's ungraded.

Even so, I agree those prices achieved are bonkers.

Edited by MJCOIN

I'll accept the risk, so I've been picking up "raw" ungraded bargains on Ebay for the past 11 years. I've had two relatively poor proof sovs out of many.

One was a 2005 which was rather "milky" (many seem to suffer for some reason) so I'd sent it back and received a refund then bought another perfect example. In retrospect, that coin would've easily cleaned up nicely with NCS conservation but I wasn't aware of that service at the time. The other was heavily handled 1999.

A recent 1979 proof purchase a few months back had quite a few copper spots & a ton of dust but had potential. Mailed it to Numi for NCS conservation and it achieved PF70 from NGC. It looks fresh out of the Royal Mint. Imagine what was going on back in '79 economically - winter of discontent and mountains of uncollected rubbish but the mint still churned out 50,000. Who bought them in those wretched times? Gold did go on to peak in 1980 though.

Edited by JohnV66
facts

Prices achieved on latest Ebay auctions confirm absurdities revolving around "Live" auctions plus their grossly extortionate fees.

This is what I consider far more reasonable for today's final prices. Remarkably also include P&P - nothing added on top. 1998 @ £444 and 1997 @ £484. Certainly not 700+.

The only proofs that I've snagged at reasonable prices on the-saleroom/Live auctions was a 1981 sovereign (367) and a 2002 half (214). Britannia's are also still good value and are overlooked for now. I bought a 2011 1/4 proof for around 420 a few weeks ago. I've seen 2016, 2017, 2018's go for between 420 - 480 (incl. fees). Spot's around £370/quarter as of 28/05/22.

ebay_may2022.PNG

Edited by JohnV66
correction

9 hours ago, JohnV66 said:

Prices achieved on latest Ebay auctions confirm absurdities revolving around "Live" auctions plus their grossly extortionate fees.

This is what I consider far more reasonable for today's final prices. Remarkably also include P&P - nothing added on top. 1997 @ £444 and 1997 @ £484. Certainly not 700+.

The only proofs that I've snagged at reasonable prices on the-saleroom/Live auctions was a 1981 sovereign (380) and a 2002 half (200). Britannia's are also still good value and are overlooked for now. I bought a 2011 1/4 proof for around 420 a few weeks ago. I've seen 2016, 2017, 2018's go for between 420 - 480 (incl. fees). Spot's around £370/quarter as of 28/05/22.

ebay_may2022.PNG

The 1997 Proof was my very first sovereign bought in 1997 for the RM price of £149, which i thought was expensive at the time, compared to ordinary sovereigns at about £50 each! - so today £484 sounds good. I remember buying the 1989 proof set (4 coins) for £850. Leave it long enough and you could make money as well.😆