• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

I want to get some silver bars, but I’m unsure what to get

I want to get some silver bars, but I’m unsure what to get.

either britannia 1oz, 1oz bar, 50g bar, 100g bar. What brand should I go for and how much should I look to spend on each weight?🤔

4 hours ago, GoldFort said:

either britannia 1oz, 1oz bar, 50g bar, 100g bar. What brand should I go for and how much should I look to spend on each weight?🤔

Welcome to the Forum! 

What is your priority? Getting as many ounces for your £? 
Will you be looking to sell when price reaches £+X? Or are you wanting to keep some items and never sell them?

There are more questions to ask but that should cover the basics.

If you want to just add ounces to your stack and if you need to one day potentially sell them, then the best bet is 1oz Brits. You will pay a premium on them now and VAT sadly, but they are CGT free when you come to sell them in the future if you were selling them in bulk and would exceed the CGT threshold.

If you are looking to add ounces that you like the look of and are those are not going to be sold, then the world's your oyster. You can look at Maples, ASEs, Krugs, anything that takes your fancy. There are even a plethora of hand pourers of silver on this forum that sell items.

HTH

The closer the collapse of an Empire, the crazier it's laws - Marcus Tullius Cicero

We had the warning in 2006-9 but central banks ignored it and just added new worthless debt to existing worthless debt to create worthless debt squared – an obvious recipe for disaster. - Egon von Greyerz

https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/83864-uk-bank-regulations/

5 hours ago, GoldFort said:

Hi, @GoldFort,

In my opinion, doesn't matter really what brand. What matter is to be from a trust seller and at a low premium. Here on forum you can find good deals for 100g bars around £75-£85 / bar. SMP, TGE, Umicore, Betts, are very good, it is not necessary to pay a bigger premium for Britannia.

Edited by stefffana

6 hours ago, GoldFort said:

@Mox Has some nice bars at the moment £81 each 

Thanks for the advice all.

another question,

when it comes to buying silver bars which sizes are best to buy? Which sizes are more divisible?

thanks 

edit — sorry I didn’t see @Gruff comments  explaining weights 

Edited by GoldFort

23 hours ago, AtomicSilver said:

Atomic_silver981.8 is my Instagram

your insta is atomic_silver961.8 😁

"It might make sense just to get some in case it catches on"  - Satoshi Nakamoto 2009

"Its going to Zero" - Peter Schiff 2013

"$1,000,000,000 by 2050"  - Fidelity 2024

I'd like to say kilo bars are the best value but recently they are like rocking horse poop on here ..   buying a few ounces will kill on premiums and on delivery.  maybe save up so you can get a Tube or ten Britannias when budget allows      

The cheapest option if your looking for kilos are the kilo coins oddly. ? As to why. They frequently sell for less than a generic metalor/umicore bar

Edited by Robda1986
Grammar and auto correct 😠

7 hours ago, Centauri167 said:

@GoldFort Is there a specific reason you want bars  and no coins or rounds ?

Because if you want to get your stack as cheap as possible you must just look at what you can buy at the cheapest price at that moment and not only look at one option.

When’s i first made this post I wasn’t aware that coins minted by the royal mint were CTG free in the UK. Since this post I’ve. Bought a load of silver, gold and platinum britannias and sovs.

So  yeah you’re right, when I started to look around and research more I realised just how many options are out there 😄 — for the better. A lot of bars come with a higher premium than britannias which are overpriced as it is 

16 hours ago, Centauri167 said:

@GoldFort Is there a specific reason you want bars  and no coins or rounds ?

Because if you want to get your stack as cheap as possible you must just look at what you can buy at the cheapest price at that moment and not only look at one option.

I think it's a mistake that many make before they really start stacking, that bars are always cheaper than coins.

Good that you already found all the other options. 👍

On 13/03/2022 at 20:58, GoldFort said:

When’s i first made this post I wasn’t aware that coins minted by the royal mint were CTG free in the UK. Since this post I’ve. Bought a load of silver, gold and platinum britannias and sovs.

So  yeah you’re right, when I started to look around and research more I realised just how many options are out there 😄 — for the better. A lot of bars come with a higher premium than britannias which are overpriced as it is 

This advice probably comes too late for you, but...

Investment gold is VAT exempt.

Silver and platinum are not, so you will pay 20% tax up front.

This, and other blog  / info pages might help:

https://www.chards.co.uk/blog/are-gold-and-silver-bullion-subject-to-vat/222

Generally, try to buy at the lowest premium within reason.

You already know about CGT, but this might have helped:

https://www.chards.co.uk/blog/capital-gains-tax-implications-2006/960

My suggestions would be to prefer gold Britannias and sovereigns.

For larger investors, offshore storage can avoid VAT on platinum and silver, but minimum storage charges make it less economic for small holdings. Not everyone is happy or comfortable when they can't physically hold or see their bullion.

Chards