• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Are you a 22 or 24 carat kind of Guy or Gal. or person or...

CANV

1 minute ago, HerefordBullyun said:

why all your toilet handles and sink taps are mind of 24k gold like Saddam in Basra palace, King james the 23rd. With your gold leaf toilet paper and i know you sometime have to resort to your £50 notes  

I've put on a bit of weight over the years, so £50 notes tend to get lost quite easily 😁

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

Just now, James32 said:

I've put on a bit of weight over the years, so £50 notes tend to get lost quite easily 😁

Its carrying all those gold kilo bars in ya pockets😁

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

1 minute ago, LawrenceChard said:

What?, You don't like gold, or you prefer 9ct?

Sorry I thought this was a deeper conversation, Thursday is my counselling day 😖

I like to buy the pre-dip dip

1 minute ago, James32 said:

Sorry I thought this was a deeper conversation, Thursday is my counselling day 😖

Id need counselling the amount of PMs you hold!

Central bankers are politicians disguised as economists or bankers. They’re either incompetent or liars. So, either way, you’re never going to get a valid answer.” - Peter Schiff

Sound money is not a guarantee of a free society, but a free society is impossible without sound money. We are currently a society enslaved by debt.

If you are a new member and want to know why we stack PMs look at this link https://www.thesilverforum.com/topic/56131-videos-of-significance/#comment-381454

Just now, James32 said:

Fur coat no knickers is my motto 😁

Standard for royality like yourself!

3 hours ago, HerefordBullyun said:

Guess I got my carats mixed up then

This giant carrot I found : AbsoluteUnits

Good to see the rather phallic looking carrot in hand photo.

When my mouse hovers over it, I get a message "Enlarge image".

It makes a change from being asked "have you got anythng smaller?"

😎

Chards

Bullion wise the 22 C stuff is something you can handle though.  Whereas the 24 C is much more in the capsule/blister pack. 
obviously depending on your views about touching your loot 

My initial thought was to stack 24k only. My first coin was a 1 oz Maple leaf and yes it is beautiful. As my budget does not always allow me to by ounces, I have kept my eyes open for any good deals. I found a local sterling dealer in a small town north of the twin cities of Minnesota. His shop sells almost exclusively sterling jewelry and, interestingly enough Vinyl records. However he does have a very small case that has 1/10's and sometimes 1/4 Krugerrands. His posted price is spot plus $15USD for 1/10's and spot plus $20USD's for 1/4's. I am now sold on Krugerrands! How could I pass up deals like that. I make a trip 1 a month or so out to see him. 

I feel much more comfortable handling the Krugerrands and the difference in each coins hue is mesmerizing.

On 17/02/2022 at 11:25, LawrenceChard said:

I was deep in sleep very early this morning, when I got the eerie feeling that my name was being mentioned somewhere.

Now I am wide awake, I can spring to the defence of my honorary title of Pedant in Chief.

So:

Carat and its abbreviation ct. is English.

Karat and its abbreviations kt. and k. are Americanisms.

American, sometimes called American English, United States English, U.S. English, is a language similar to English, used by most of the population of the North American Continent. 

The word "carat" is used to denote the proportion of gold in its alloys, and also for the weight of diamonds and other gemstones.

Americans use the word karat to denote the proportion of gold in its alloys, but inconsistently use the word carat for the weight of diamonds and other gemstones.

There is an argument in favour of karat rather than carat, as both words are derived from the Greek keraton, referring to the seeds of the carob tree.

Now, to be really pedantic, I should point out that 22ct gold is not 91.67% gold, but 91.66', where I have used ' to denote "recurring". Much depends on the use of approximation; how, when, where, and why it is used. The problem arises because base 24 numbering systems are not perfectly compatible with base 10 (decimal) systems.

It follows from this that there are no 24ct or 24k gold coins, only coins which are approximately 24ct. Even .99999 fine gold coins like some Canadian Maples are only 23.99976ct.

Thank you all for your mentions.

😎

I like America and Americans however some of the language and pronunciation is amusing.

”Can I get” (Please may I have)

”My bad” (My fault)

“Can you syndicate this to…” (Please can you tell)

”This isn’t Rocket science” (This is relatively straightforward). 

“I will take the lot for two bar”. (A bar being USD2M).  I don’t know where bar came from and if it is related to gold bars.

”Up the wazoo” (This is a family forum!)

”Im double fisting” (I am holding two drinks).  Note: I worked at the most PC Tier One Bank where a female graduate trainee from NY announced to a room full of assembled senior management “hey guys help me out here I’m double fisting”.  Quiet words were had and no one other than me found it at all amusing.

”Hump day” (Meaning the middle of the week - Wednesday).  

Also:

”Aloooominum” (Aluminium)

”Col-orrr” (Colour)

“I met your colleague Angus, is he Scotch?” (He was actually from Australia rather than Scotland)

I am sure Americans find English just as grating!  

All the best to American forum friends, please feel free to comment back!

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

19 minutes ago, dicker said:

”Im double fisting” (I am holding two drinks).  Note: I worked at the most PC Tier One Bank where a female graduate trainee from NY announced to a room full of assembled senior management “hey guys help me out here I’m double fisting”.  Quiet words were had and no one other than me found it at all amusing.

so funny...... you could almost predict where this was heading... 

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

8 minutes ago, dicker said:

I like America and Americans however some of the language and pronunciation is amusing.

”My bad” (My fault)

“I will take the lot for two bar”. (A bar being USD2M).  I don’t know where bar came from and if it is related to gold bars.

Also:

”Col-orrr” (Colour)

“I met your colleague Angus, is he Scotch?” (He was actually from Australia rather than Scotland)

Best

Dicker

That's a good list of Americanisms.

I can think of a few:

Brit: "I'd like a coffee to take away please!

Yank: "Oh, you mean a coffee to go"

Yank: "We open Monday through Friday"

Brit: "Do you mean Monday to Friday?"

Yank: "Uh!"

One common Americanism is verbing nouns.

Another, even worse is verbing adjectives, for example "a colorized coin", instead of "a coloured coin".

Yank: "I have just gotten my degree in English"

Brit: "Who sang Ruby Tuesday?"

Yank: "Dunno, was it the Kaiser Chiefs?"

Brit: "No, they sang Ruby on Wednesday"

Yank: "Make America Great Again"

Brit: "Again?"

Yank: "You're from London, England?"

Yank: "You're from London, England, Do you know Fred Smith?"

I don't think the English language grates on Americans. They simple don't understand it.

Don't ask me about the use of euphemisms to avoid taboo words, or euphemisms to avoid taboo euphemisms.

😎

Chards

Double fisting!  Excellent, never come across that one before (fnarr).

'Fanny pack' in America = 'bum bag' in Britain.  That always amuses me.  And don't say that you love eating faggots (a classic British dish).  And also when a Brit says to an American 'Can I bum a fag', they are asking if you'll give them one of your cigarettes.

Edited by Stuntman
spacing!

15 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

Double fisting!  Excellent, never come across that one before (fnarr).

'Fanny pack' in America = 'bum bag' in Britain.  That always amuses me.  And don't say that you love eating faggots (a classic British dish).  And also when a Brit says to an American 'Can I bum a fag', they are asking if you'll give them one of your cigarettes.

... and don't say you are just nipping out for a fag!

😎

Chards

1 hour ago, dicker said:

”My bad” (My fault)

Also:

”Col-orrr” (Colour)

Best

Dicker

English is Hard

We'll begin with a box, and the plural is boxes,

But the plural of ox becomes oxen, not oxes.

One fowl is a goose, but two are called geese,

Yet the plural of moose should never be meese.

You may find a lone mouse or a nest full of mice,

Yet the plural of house is houses, not hice.

If the Plural of man is always called men,

Why shouldn't the plural of pan be called pen?

If I speak of my foot and show you my feet, 

And I give you a boot, would a pair be called beet?

If one is a tooth and a whole set are teeth,

Why shouldn't the plural of booth be called beeth?

Then on may be that, and three would be those,

Yet hat in the plural would never be hose,

and the plural of cat is cats, not cose.

We speak of a brother and also a brethren,

But though we ay mother, we never say methren.

Author Unknown

Then the masculine pronouns are he, his and him,

But the plural is not the, this or thim!